Military Medical Qualifications carried over to Civvie Street

Folks,
Gen quest for info here; so please bare with me. And understand that I'm not ex RAMC obviously.
Right, can someone tell me please whether a military qualification such as patrol medic, combat medic, nurse, etc can be carried over into civvy strasser?
I know that some resettlement courses aren't worth the paper that they are written on, but I would expect that military medical quals would be okay.
A friend's daughter wants to join the mob, but her long term career goals are the Ambulance Service or Nursing.

Folks,
Gen quest for info here; so please bare with me. And understand that I'm not ex RAMC obviously.
Right, can someone tell me please whether a military qualification such as patrol medic, combat medic, nurse, etc can be carried over into civvy strasser?
I know that some resettlement courses aren't worth the paper that they are written on, but I would expect that military medical quals would be okay.
A friend's daughter wants to join the mob, but her long term career goals are the Ambulance Service or Nursing.
My wife is a very senior nurse who works closely with an AR RAMC Major/LT Colonel.
I'll ask her to ask for the definitive answer. Might take a few days though.

needlewaver

Old-Salt
With the caveat that I left in 2005; I finished as a CMT 1 Corporal and in my last few months managed to obtain an NVQ3 in Emergency and Primary Health Care. This was fairly easy to evidence as it was just a case of writing it up and getting the RNO to validate it.

I was looking at what was then Hereford and Worcester Ambulance Service and at the time they accepted CMT 1 or RN/RAF equivalent qualifications in their own right.

That said, paramedics now attend university for three years on their own coin, and then have to find a job at the end, much like nurses. These days you’ve got as much chance of being a paramedic coming from a Mess Tin Repair Regiment as from the RAMC.

If I was her I’d join the mob as a nurse and let the MoD pay for it.

(and I never did use that NVQ)

edited to add: a military nursing qualification is civvy awarded anyway. There was much maskirovka about awarding CMTs state registration as paramedics but I suspect that was the usual lies from the Army Medical Directorate.

Last edited:
Yes. Swmbo is a band 8 senior nurse with a background in intensive care and Resuscitation. She's been a nurse for nigh on 30 years.

She's having to do a degree course, payed for by her to be able to carry on Nursing. So much for hands on experience eh.

Yes. Swmbo is a band 8 senior nurse with a background in intensive care and Resuscitation. She's been a nurse for nigh on 30 years.

She's having to do a degree course, payed for by her to be able to carry on Nursing. So much for hands on experience eh.
Wow. Just wow!

Wow. Just wow!
Absolute bloody madness.
This is the girl who trains consultants and runs the Resuscitation service for the entire Health board! Has been a nurse since leaving school and speaks at forums for the European Resus Council.

Complete and utter bureaucratic madness

What a load of shite, Absolutley apaling. Suppose the training budget is being utilised training those oh so important health care workers from other shores

And they wonder why they can't recruit nurses from the UK anymore. It's not financially viable for a youngster starting out.

And they wonder why they can't recruit nurses from the UK anymore. It's not financially viable for a youngster starting out.
Whats next? Squaddies having to source a weapons handling cert @ Uni?

Tyk

LE
Absolute bloody madness.
This is the girl who trains consultants and runs the Resuscitation service for the entire Health board! Has been a nurse since leaving school and speaks at forums for the European Resus Council.

That is absolutely absurd. Having a few Uni qualifications and many years of experience myself, the experience trumps the Uni stuff any day, umpteen times over.
Sure some further study courses, refreshers and updates make plenty of sense, but having to do an undergrad degree as a fully experienced practitioner is barking mad. I can semi understand a work based Masters of some form, but that should be a deal less aggro.

Last edited:

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
With the caveat that I left in 2005; I finished as a CMT 1 Corporal and in my last few months managed to obtain an NVQ3 in Emergency and Primary Health Care. This was fairly easy to evidence as it was just a case of writing it up and getting the RNO to validate it.

I was looking at what was then Hereford and Worcester Ambulance Service and at the time they accepted CMT 1 or RN/RAF equivalent qualifications in their own right.

That said, paramedics now attend university for three years on their own coin, and then have to find a job at the end, much like nurses. These days you’ve got as much chance of being a paramedic coming from a Mess Tin Repair Regiment as from the RAMC.

If I was her I’d join the mob as a nurse and let the MoD pay for it.

(and I never did use that NVQ)

edited to add: a military nursing qualification is civvy awarded anyway. There was much maskirovka about awarding CMTs state registration as paramedics but I suspect that was the usual lies from the Army Medical Directorate.

How very dare you......... I'll have you know we produced a fine scab lifter....once

That is absolutely absurd. Having a few Uni qualifications and many years of experience, the experience trumps the Uni stuff any day, umpteen times over.
Sure some further study courses, refreshers and updates make plenty of sense, but having to do an undergrad degree as a fully experienced practitioner is barking mad. I can semi understand a work based Masters of some form, but that should be a deal less aggro.
On the job training, with decent pay. You get signed off as competent by a Matron. Obviously some kind of formal examination process to ensure that knowledge and standards are maintained, but there is no substitute for experience.

Tyk

LE
On the job training, with decent pay. You get signed off as competent by a Matron. Obviously some kind of formal examination process to ensure that knowledge and standards are maintained, but there is no substitute for experience.
No debate on that, I've had a variety of people work for me on programmes, some with bits of paper that are very impressive and many more who're just well experienced, the experience trumps the paper every time.
The best delivery manager I ever had was a Flt Sgt who'd joined as what he described as a vaguely literate useless scouse scrote with a laundry list of convictions for car theft. 20+ years of graft and experience he could just get stuff done, organise the lads working with him, or be honest and say if something wasn't practical in the time frame. There's no substitute for an experienced eye/hand/brain.

soleil

Old-Salt
Folks,

socialdespatch

War Hero
Any role such as nursing or paramedic that results in a professional registration (NMC, HCPC etc) is transferable directly into a job outside of the military.

Anything else may give you an advantage at interview for a training role to become registered but you can’t claim a paramedic ticket off the back of CMT or a collection of NVQ’s etc.

I have worked with plenty of nurses and paras who have gained their registrations in the military, and mentored one who had his complete degree funded through resettlement at the end of his 22 years.

Absolute bloody madness.

Worse in Jockland. Mrs Kinch is a 40 year career nurse (SRN, RM, SRCN, BA Hons, Staff Nurse, Staff Midwife, District Midwife, Junior Sister, Senior Sister, Nurse Manager, Director of Nursing). She took on a job in her later years of managing a nursing home. The Jocks demanded that she completed an SVQ which, among other elementary stuff, involved 'how to answer the telephone'. I kid you not.

Latest Threads