Military Medals

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by yozza_2010, Dec 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

First off, great site, loads of good honest info for anybody looking at joining.

My main thread however is the issue of Medals. Now I’ll just state right away I am not serving, nor have I ever served this is just to satisfy the curiosity.

What drew my attention was an article I read a while back regarding an 'SAS Walt' who was rumbled at a Remembrance Day parade due to his 'Medal Arrangement'. It went on to describe how he had medals dating from WWII to the First Gulf, but it mentioned he displayed the medals in the wrong order or something. So it got me thinking, how are medals displayed?

Is it order left to right in which they are received or on the base of how important they are (i.e. tour of duty before jubilee etc)

And also, something I have always been curious about, say for example a soldier does +2 tours of say afghan, does he display two afghan tour medals?

Genuine reply’s would be great thanks, let me assure you, no plans of walting or such, just general interest that got me thinking.

Cheers

Yozza.

2. So what really want to know is NOT how to mount them!,i dare say a richard will soon be on.

3. Is it order left to right in which they are received or on the base of how important they are (i.e. tour of duty before jubilee etc)

Yes, left to right. Orders and decorations come first then operational medals in order of when you did that tour. Then comes the others, QGJM, accumulated campaign service medal (ACSM), then LS&GC last. If you ever receive the MSM (Meritious Service Medal) this goes before the LS&GC. Foreign decorations go last such as an American Bronze star or similiar.

And also, something I have always been curious about, say for example a soldier does +2 tours of say afghan, does he display two afghan tour medals?

No. You only get one medal though the time spent on an operational tour where you already have the medal goes towards your ACSM (1080 days needed to qualify). NATO and UN tours do not count towards the ACSM.

4. Thanks for that mate, been curious about it since reading the article.

Sorry for the ignorance mate but what is the ACSM? Is that awarded when you reach the 1080 days of qualification?

Cheers,

Yozza.

5. Yes. It was instituted for multiple Northern Ireland tours but the powers that be have kept it on.

6. Ahh I see. Good stuff.

Thanks again mate, satisfied my curiosity.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You are lucky - Fallschirmjager's anger management therapy and medication appear to be particularly effective this evening :)
    Don't push it - his season of goodwill is measured in minutes......

8. Well, he hasn't slagged off Paras yet. :)

9. And will be rarer than rocking horse shit for most serving soldiers now. Yours might be worth a few bob soon.

Editted to add: I thought you were a Royal Marine?

10. Slag off Paras, never! lol nothing but utter respect for them guys.

I once worked with an Ex Para Reg RSM in the Security Industry, P Company sounds like hell haha.

11. Yeah, you're right mucker. Blokes have to complete seven Afghan tours to qualify if you take R&R out of the equation. Which of course will never happen considering we're pulling out in 3 or 4 years.

12. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

You are joking surely !!!!

13. It will be much scarcer considering there's no more 2 year residential tours of NI.

14. Left to right: being a hero, being dubbed, being brave, being there, being then (jubilee medals) and sticking it

15. Why would I be joking? Northern Ireland has finished, Iraq is (very nearly) finished as the bootie says you need 7 tours of Afganistan now.