Military medals awarded during the NI troubles

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by flyingmonkey, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would anyone know a website or easy accessible source to find out who was awarded MM's during the troubles in NI. Specifically looking at the period from 1969 to when the MC took over from the MM.

FM

2. Four for RMP:-

Sgt K. Bridgeman

SSgt N. Smith

Lcpl S. J. Warke (WRAC)

Cpl C. G. Williams

3. The definitive source is the London Gazette. That link takes you directly to the search page.

Put the dates you are interested in into the relevant boxes. (There are records after 1993 of MMs awarded before 1993, so put the end date as 2010.)

Now put the words 'military medal' in the "with the exact phrase" box

Put the words 'Northern Ireland' in the "with all the words" box.You will get loads of records, and will have to trawl through them all to find out which ones were awarded for service in NI.

If you are interested in a particular person, put their surname in the "with at least one of the words" box as well. (This will give you every page on which that surname and the words military medal occur, not just the ones where the MM was given to that surname.) You can do this with regiments, ranks or any other search term you want (service numbers are particularly good).

Happy hunting.

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

You'll also get Mcnabs real name from the Gazette as IIRC he was awarded an MM for N.I.

5. Will they not have got that changed? I presume the SAS are better at PERSEC than that especially since IIRC he says how he got it in his book

6. He was gazetted for that and his DCM under his parent regiment. The awards aren't always gazetted straight away - I know of a couple that took over a decade to appear.

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure his and Chris Ryans Op Granby Awards were Gazetted in their own names

His N.I. medal was when he was in his parent unit

Mind don't know why Chris Ryan changed his name his face is al over T.V.

8. IIRC you can also get MIDs on the London Gazette, their is also a book knocking about which has the awards etc for Northern Ireland, maybe ask on a medal forum for its name?

9. They were, just without the "THEM" reference.

10. MM with the RGJ 1980, his real name, L/Cpl RGJ
    DCM with Them 1991, his real name, Sgt RGJ

11. The career of one of the best known 'Them' authors. The MCs are the most interesting bit.

12. Several members of The KOSB were awarded MMs in Ulster, a sprinkling of MCs, DCMs and a DSO.
    Not going to identify the recipients though.

13. RGJ have had a few, however, can't give up people's identities though. Good luck with your research.

14. Many thanks for the advice and pointers.

FM