Military Medal (MM)

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
I think that HM stopped awarding these in about 1993. Anyone know who was the last recipient of an MM? Must have been either Granby, or possibly Banner?

Had a search about without luck.

Cheers.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
You could try the London Gazette's online archives -

last_MM3.jpg

This must have been one of the last.

Last edited:

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
You could try the London Gazette's online archives -

last_MM.jpg

This must have been one of the last.

Cheers, I had a look at the Gazette's site, but couldn't work out how to search. Will return and give it another go.

So, it may have been a Rifleman on Banner, good stuff.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers, I had a look at the Gazette's site, but couldn't work out how to search. Will return and give it another go.

So, it may have been a Rifleman on Banner, good stuff.

No, I've updated my post to reflect the last awarded I could find. The recipient had been decorated with the also discontinued British Empire Medal as well.

syrup

LE
Chris Ryan and Andy McNab were awarded the MM for their actions in B20 on Op Granby.
However he award wasn't reportedly Gazzetted until 1998 for security reasons.
IIRC it was actually in their own names i.e. not Ryan and McNab.

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
No, I've updated my post to reflect the last awarded I could find. The recipient had been decorated with the also discontinued British Empire Medal as well.

Cheers, Para Reg then. Would McGinty not have been a Colour man? Wonder what happened to him.

syrup

LE
Here's the list for Granby
Note some of teh SAS ones are well after the medal ceased to be awarded
After Granby it would only leave Bosnia which kicked off in 93 IIRC and Banner as the onlty two main operations.

The Military Medal (MM) was the third highest medal awarded to other ranks for gallantry in the face of the enemy on land.

Chris Ryan and Andy McNab were awarded the MM for their actions in B20 on Op Granby.
However he award wasn't reportedly Gazzetted until 1998 for security reasons.
IIRC it was actually in their own names i.e. not Ryan and McNab.

Ryan an McNab aren't their real names?

I think that HM stopped awarding these in about 1993. Anyone know who was the last recipient of an MM? Must have been either Granby, or possibly Banner?

Cheers.
Hi.
I beleive it may have been actually me, Awarded MM on 29th June 199, although there were several awarded on that day, as i was the most junior soldier diring the Investiture at Buck House, i beleive was Physically the last to recieve the MM.
regards,
Thomas Gow MM

Good work.

(Gazette Supplement)

M.M.
24780087 Private Thomas Robertson GOW, The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment).

On 26 February 1991, 1 Royal Scots Battle Group was ordered to attack an enemy position in Southern Iraq as part of 4th Armoured Brigade's thrust East. B Company was tasked to assault a platoon objective which was well established and dug in. A preliminary phase of the operation had confirmed that there were T-55 tanks in the area. The position was subjected to an intense artillery bombardment which, combined with a strong wind, produced appalling visibility. Five Platoon of B Company carried out a rolling assault on the northern end of the position whilst the remainder of the company provided fire support. As the attack proceeded it became apparent that at least one of the vehicles was too well dug in to be reached by Warrior Armoured Personnel Carriers.

Private Gow, who was acting as the section second in command, immediately appreciated the situation and saw that the momentum was being lost. On his own initiative, he ordered his fire team to cover him and crawled forward towards the vehicle. Despite the fact that mines and bomblets had already exploded on the objective, he got to a position within 20 metres of the enemy vehicle and destroyed it with his Close Assault Weapon and finished it off with a grenade. He then followed up by charging two bunkers, clearing them with grenades, without regard to the ammunition exploding around him. He captured three officers and four soldiers.
Private Gow had been in action for 24 hours and his section had already been involved in an assault before. The initiative, aggression and determination displayed by this brave man during this action exceeded that expected of his rank and experience.

Cheers.
Hi.
I beleive it may have been actually me, Awarded MM on 29th June 1999, although there were several awarded on that day, as i was the most junior soldier diring the Investiture at Buck House, i beleive was Physically the last to recieve the MM.
regards,
Thomas Gow MM
Good work.

(Gazette Supplement)

M.M.
24780087 Private Thomas Robertson GOW, The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment).

On 26 February 1991, 1 Royal Scots Battle Group was ordered to attack an enemy position in Southern Iraq as part of 4th Armoured Brigade's thrust East. B Company was tasked to assault a platoon objective which was well established and dug in. A preliminary phase of the operation had confirmed that there were T-55 tanks in the area. The position was subjected to an intense artillery bombardment which, combined with a strong wind, produced appalling visibility. Five Platoon of B Company carried out a rolling assault on the northern end of the position whilst the remainder of the company provided fire support. As the attack proceeded it became apparent that at least one of the vehicles was too well dug in to be reached by Warrior Armoured Personnel Carriers.

Private Gow, who was acting as the section second in command, immediately appreciated the situation and saw that the momentum was being lost. On his own initiative, he ordered his fire team to cover him and crawled forward towards the vehicle. Despite the fact that mines and bomblets had already exploded on the objective, he got to a position within 20 metres of the enemy vehicle and destroyed it with his Close Assault Weapon and finished it off with a grenade. He then followed up by charging two bunkers, clearing them with grenades, without regard to the ammunition exploding around him. He captured three officers and four soldiers.
Private Gow had been in action for 24 hours and his section had already been involved in an assault before. The initiative, aggression and determination displayed by this brave man during this action exceeded that expected of his rank and experience.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hi.
I beleive it may have been actually me, Awarded MM on 29th June 1999, although there were several awarded on that day, as i was the most junior soldier diring the Investiture at Buck House, i beleive was Physically the last to recieve the MM.
regards,
Thomas Gow MM

In action
T Gow.jpg

This is one of a series of photographs taken Mike Moore who was embedded with 1RS.

Hi.
regards,
Thomas Gow MM

Well done Thomas. An extremely brave act under difficult conditions. :applaud:

Wee Hawken

War Hero
IIRC, a soldier from 1RGJ was awarded the MM as a result of an action in NI in around 1992 - over a year ofter the first Gulf War. I will spare his blushes by not naming him here!

I have no idea when he went to the palace to collect it, however.

Well done Thomas. An extremely brave act under difficult conditions. :applaud:
Difficult??!! Black boots and a noddy suit! That’s absolute Ninja!!

IIRC, a soldier from 1RGJ was awarded the MM as a result of an action in NI in around 1992 - over a year ofter the first Gulf War. I will spare his blushes by not naming him here!

I have no idea when he went to the palace to collect it, however.

The last Gazette entry for an MM without a ‘to be dated’ appears to be 12 October 1993; as it refers to a L/Cpl from 1RGJ (initials MF), then I’m guessing this is the same chap. I suspect Thomas above is the penultimate recipient (which matters not - you’d not catch me doing any of the stuff in his citation, thank you very much...)