Military Medal Can't find information

oldbaldy

LE
I'm looking for information on the MM for John Simpson Holborn. I've turned the London Gazette upside down but can't find him.

I have the Medal card for his MSM and also records of the campaign medals awarded in the 2 Boer war.

This is his CWGC entry:

CWGC - JS Holborn

Any ideas?

I see hé was killed when serving with the South African forces on the Western Front. Do they have an equivalent of the National Archive where his service record and/or medal card might be held?

Berlin

oldbaldy

LE
The medal Card for his MSM is on Ancestry so I assume his record for the MM will be somewhere in the UK as well, it would be awarded under the order of the King.

Have you tried his medal index card from the national archives? Saw the following The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details which hopefully is his MM and not the MSM you've already found.

Hell of a nice sounding group. Out of curiosity, what clasps does he have on his QSA for his SAC service?

I checked the Cape GSM roll in case of the possibility of a Bechauanland (or earlier campaign, however unlikely) with no result.

I'm looking for information on the MM for John Simpson Holborn. I've turned the London Gazette upside down but can't find him.

I have the Medal card for his MSM and also records of the campaign medals awarded in the 2 Boer war.

This is his CWGC entry:

CWGC - JS Holborn

Any ideas?
http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13112/pages/1351/page.pdf

There is a Sergeant J.S Holborn listed here in Edin' Gazette JULY 11, 1917.(First name on the page).

X15 Sjt. J. S. Holborn, Inf.

I presume that it's the same chap.

oldbaldy

LE
Hell of a nice sounding group. Out of curiosity, what clasps does he have on his QSA for his SAC service?
He has Belmont, Cape Colony, Transvaal and Orange Free State and Date Clasps 1901 & 1902 on his Queens South Africa Medal. Record is marked as him not being entitled to the Kings South Africa Medal.

He was then a Trooper in the South African Constabulary.

oldbaldy

LE
That's the bloke Bokka, I have that card it's his MM that's proving elusive.

oldbaldy

LE
That's him, I didn't think of the Edinburgh Gazette but as he was originally from Gourock it would make sense.
The Edin' Gazette is a copy of London Gazette as far as medals are concerned.

However, on this page you can see a lot of corrections where they listed the wrong unit or service number.

Were you related to this guy as he sounds like a bloody good bloke?

oldbaldy

LE
The Edin' Gazette is a copy of London Gazette as far as medals are concerned.

However, on this page you can see a lot of corrections where they listed the wrong unit or service number.

Were you related to this guy as he sounds like a bloody good bloke?
Not me a cousin I'm helping out, her father was named after him. You can understand why.

oldbaldy

LE

oldbaldy

LE
Presumably gallantry MSM's aren't that common? Nice to see the write up on the back of the card.
Yes, I read about the rules for them & basically it was for galantry not in the face of the enemy, sounds similar to the GM/GC.

Yes, I read about the rules for them & basically it was for galantry not in the face of the enemy, sounds similar to the GM/GC.
Thanks for that - makes it an even better group!

With him being 4SAI I checked the Delville Wood roll call but he isn't listed.

oldbaldy

LE
Thanks for that - makes it an even better group!

With him being 4SAI I checked the Delville Wood roll call but he isn't listed.
Yes, Just have to see if I can get the citation of his MM now.

oldbaldy

LE
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jcm649 Military History and Militaria 48
1 Medals 12
Heartbreaklane Medals 8