Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 11D, Jan 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 11D

11D Old-Salt

WHy is it people are permitted to sell british military manuals (such as infantry platoon tactics) on ebay and get away with it?? They are clearly protectively marked and such selling of these items must surely be prohibited!!??

Perhaps if these sellers were stopped terrorists might be less likely to get their hands on our tactics and blow up our colleagues overseas!!

N F HAPPY !!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
  2. Sorry mate - I'll delete them asap!
  3. Not a problem if the terrorists do get them - they probably haven't got this week's amendment.
  4. 11D

11D Old-Salt

:lol: fair one!!
  5. Well you can make a lot selling them to walts, just label it with 'SAS' and they will all flock round.
  6. Is it because the Lee Enfield No 4 has now come off the secret list and the mujuhadin have more of them then we have?
  7. Which manuals are up?

Most of them tend (even old editions) to be UK Restricted, which makes selling them a big no-no!
  8. 11D

11D Old-Salt

Inf Pl Tactics 1994 is on sale there. Just type in British Army Manuals in search and it will come up with a list. I have given the seller a fair amount of grief although he seems to think he is in the right. chopper!
  9. Yes, but do they have the amendments!
  10. Hmm, not really sure if it is actually illegal for anyone to sell Military Manuals, you just have to take a good look in Ebay and you will find a lot manuals in cd format mainly American, sniper,Infantry,EOD,Sigs! the works! would be interesting to know if it is legal or not, if it is illegal there will be a lot of worried people (and Walts!) out there...
  11. I think what they are getting at that if it is marked RESTRICTED then it should not be passed on to third parties. It is not up to us what we can or cannot pass on to others. I think that if you do you can find yourself in trouble due to the Official Secrets Act (unless you're a politician).

The US does certify manuals for general release but then again I never signed anything to defend the secrets of the US.
  12. It's not legal at all. All HMAF manuals have RESTRICTED (or higher security classes) on them and on the inside cover (usually) have the security warning notice. I quote:

"....THE UNAUTHORIZED RETENTION OR DESTRUCTION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AN OFFENCE UNDER THE OFFICAL SECRETS ACT 1911-1939 (When released to persons outside Government service, this document is issued on a personal basis and the recipient to whom it is entrusted, in confidence, within provisions of the OSA 1911-1939, is personally responsible for its safe custody and for seeing that its contents are disclosed only to authorized persons)."

See also the Conditions of Release on the same page (usually), i think it makes it pretty clear that the selling odf such items in the public domain is illegal. It should be reported to an RMP unit officer. I would report it to an RMP or CivP officer but i don't hav an RMP unit being a cadet and i have not actually seen the articles for sale.
  13. should ask for Ebay to remove the auctions anyway they arent his for sale! youj could also have a word in the fuzz's ear