Military justice reforms planned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4487240.stm

Plans to merge the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force prosecuting agencies into one justice system for the first time have been unveiled by ministers.
The Armed Forces Bill - intended to modernise the system - includes a new harmonised list of offences.

It would also scrap a commanding officer's power to deal with serious cases - such as murder or rape - summarily, avoiding a court martial.

Instead, such cases would have to be referred to the service police.

Defence Minister Don Touhig said the bill was designed to provide "modern and harmonised rules" to meet the needs of the services at a time when they were increasingly required to work together.

He denied it was a reaction to a series of controversial military trials arising from the conflict in Iraq.

--------------------------------

Defence officials confirm Trooper Williams' case would have been handled differently under the new rules.

Mr Touhig told BBC News: "Under the proposals in this bill, of course, the [commanding officer] would not have had the opportunity to dismiss an allegation.

"It would need to be independently investigated by the service police. That we think is the proper way to do it."

Contradiction alarm.... :roll:

Some historic offences, now considered obsolete, would be scrapped.

These include "scandalous conduct of officers" and "negligently causing an aircraft to be sequestered by a neutral state".
I'm sure the Crabs leave the doors locked when parked up overnight at Basra-ra , but this scandalous conduct thing??

"It would need to be independently investigated by the service police. That we think is the proper way to do it."
So I look forward to:

1. A massive investment in the Service Police, to enable their people to become far better trained to handle these sorts of cases in larger numbers.

2. Amalgamation of the Service Police forces, including the Investigation elements, to prevent any sort of activity being conducted predjudicial to good order and discipline i.e. witch hunting.

3. Making the Service Police answerable to ACDS(Pers) for the above reasons, and also to make the investigating officers answerable at a far higher level than is currently the case.

4. Streamlining Service Law to remove loopholes between the Services - look forward to all kinds of mayhem in this area.

5. Removal of the APA and its associated single service corollaries - whilst maintaining the separation from the investigating arm.

Hmmm...does the endstate look vaguely familiar to anyone? :D

Not holding my breath, though...

A purple justice system for a purple military, can anyone else see an amalgamtion of the tri service to one force???

Sparky

Darth_Doctrinus said:

So I look forward to:

1. A massive investment in the Service Police, to enable their people to become far better trained to handle these sorts of cases in larger numbers.
Training is not the main issue. Supervision and resources are equally - ,aybe even more so - important. As for this, the modern SIB started in 1939 when number of detectives were drafted to provide a skilled investigative resource. Maybe time for a re-birth
2. Amalgamation of the Service Police forces, including the Investigation elements, to prevent any sort of activity being conducted predjudicial to good order and discipline i.e. witch hunting.
Joint Police School already established
3. Making the Service Police answerable to ACDS(Pers) for the above reasons, and also to make the investigating officers answerable at a far higher level than is currently the case.

4. Streamlining Service Law to remove loopholes between the Services - look forward to all kinds of mayhem in this area.

5. Removal of the APA and its associated single service corollaries - whilst maintaining the separation from the investigating arm.

Hmmm...does the endstate look vaguely familiar to anyone? :D

Not holding my breath, though...

Latest Threads