Military Intelligence (TA)

Hi there,

I’m interested in making the move over to Military Intelligence as a new detachment has opened near me, now assuming I pass Selection what can I expect to be doing on training nights/weekends?

The only exposure I’ve had to the MI has been 3rd hand stuff from Ex Salvo and that seemed pretty interesting. That said, once MATTs are out of the way does training lean towards intelligence activities or basic soldering skills?

I’ve had my fill of Infantry for a while, so I’m trying to steer clear of doing platoon attacks in a different shade of beret. I've had a quick search around on the forum and can't really find anything of relevance.

Cheers.

What you'll be doing on drill nights will be down to local commanders - although, if it's any reassurance, drill nights aren't wasted, and are often trade-related ... what area of the country are you in?

What you'll be doing on weekends will, again, partly depend on the specific role of your coy, although depending on your experience, in addition to the coy trade w/e's, expect the usual plethora of field, driving, AT and MATTs w/e's, and of course, courses. However, to answer your second question, on top of MATTs, your training will largely lean towards trade skills and exercises [that, again, was a sweeping assumption, as I don't know which is your nearest coy].

As ever, standard advice applies - Speak to them. You'll most probably be invited to a drill night [although if it's new, I wouldn't expect too much]. If it's a new det, expect it to only take up a few offices and classroom(s) in the corner of a TAC. If you can, speak to the soldiers (new and old) as well as the recruiter, to help gauge what to expect, and whether it's what you're after.

There are some great opportunities, and it's definitely worth a shufti, but why exactly did you want to transfer? - solely because you're tired of the Infantry isn't a very scintillating reason by itself ...