Military Inquests - unlawful killing verdict

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rodney2q, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just been listening to the latest inquest results re the female EOD officer who was killed in Afghanistan.

I am wondering why it is necessary to have the inquests, and the meaning of the "unlawful killing" verdicts. I assume there is a reason for this, but I can't figure it out. Can someone please enlighten me.

This is NOT a wah, and if it has been done before aplogoies in advance. Just wondering, that's all.

2. AFAIK firstly, it's to establish the causes of the death - although this may appear pretty obvious it is required by UK law. They also look at the circumstances around the death, IOT establish if there have been equipment failures, or TTP's need adjusting. They also provide some semblance of closure for the families of the KIA.

Caveat - I have not been part of one, however my cap badge (Monkies) are with each one.
  3. An inquest will be held for any UK national who dies overseas. The purpose of an inquest is for the Coroner to establish the identity of the deceased person and the means by which they came by their death.

Unlawfully killed is just that, but it is not classified as murder since the intent (mens rea) of the assailant has, generally, not been established.
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Presumeably it's unlawful because the Taliban are engaged in an insurrection against the legal govt? Does that mean there is an inquest of "lawfully killed in war" or similar?
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Presumably this is because we now repatriate the bodies of the deceased. Were their inquests held when soldiers were buried overseas (not during periods when a state of war existed)?
  6. Thanks for the answers chaps. I understand the relevance now.

All the best

7. Unlawful as NATO is in Afghanistan at the request of the Afghan Government and deployed under a UNSCR. Not a war as such (in name) but certainly a counter-insurgency.
  8. As far as I am aware, no inquests were held for those killed and buried in the FI conflict, perhaps, in some circumstances, just as well.
  9. "Death due to enemy action while on active service".
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There are a few graves marked similarly in a cemetary I used to short cut through near Beckenham although they were air raid victims. I think it was killed by enemy action.
  11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Thanks. That sounds more reasonable than "lawfully killed!"