Military induced separation

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Almost_unemployed, May 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The COS is finishing her degree and is doing a piece on the effects of Military Induced Separation on Children. I know many of you will have been through the stress of the pre-deployment phase and the mixed emotions of the post tour. However, how did your kids react to your departure/absence/return?

My family and I have been through this and would like your views on this subject.

2. Its toss and the MoD/Army/Units dont do enough to suport those left behind.
    I deploy and also have been the one left at home while my other half has deployed. When Mrs Fox went (twice) I didnt hear a single thing, not a newsletter or phone call from her unit. Mrs Fox has never had any of my units contact her and the last time I was deployed my unit rear party sent me the families newsletters each month out in Iraq rather than to my wife in the UK, great stuff eh! Even after I wrote back telling them that it should be sent to the families not the deployed soldiers I received another one with a letter saying that it was an admin error and in future all correspondance would be sent to me instead! (to me in Iraq rather than to me in Iraq!)

3. Seeing this from my welfare/mental health perspective, formed teeth arm and combat support units usually fare better in terms of support to the 'rear party' than do other units, particularly in your/our case, Foxy, with the medics.

None of my deployments (either in green or subsequently in light blue) ever brought any support or even passing interest from my unit for my wife and family, whereas some of the units I now look after seem to pay a damn sight more attention to such matters.

Though in fairness to the medics, I think the field units tend to make a better job of it than the secondary care outfits, who are far too busy cosying up to the NHS to give a toss about their personnel. A deployment is just a gap in the staffing they've got to cover :evil:

Good luck to Mrs Almost_Unemployed. there's a whole PhD thesis in this one, crying to get out. :twisted:

4. Does any of this statement related to your family? If so your views would be very welcome.

"The childs anxiety begins to manifests as the child acknowledges the actuality of their separation from their parent, this can lead to the child developing a preoccupation with the absent parent (Whiting 1990). Children often exhibit disruptive behaviours both at home and school, equally, the misdirecting of anger towards those closest to them is a common occurrence (D’Andrea & Daniels 1992). Other associated behaviours can include withdrawal, inconsolable crying, aggression, agitation, nightmares, insomnia, enuresis, encropresis, panic and anxiety."