Military in-class courtesies

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by cdtjohn, Sep 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A little bit off topic, but....

I've just started a new course which is
    Military English. Looking for the material to be used
    in class I found out that I don't know anything about
    military in-class courtasies.

What does a cadet on duty say when an instructor
    enters the room? (Class,atten-Shun! Sir/Ma'm
    ,formation/class is formed. All present and correct. 2
    cadets absent. On duty, Cadet(name ) In which way
    does an instructor respond - At ease!? Take your
    seats!?

When an instructor checks out a muster-roll, a cadet
    when his name has been called out goes like - Here!? or
    Present!?

What does a cadet say when he /she wants to ask a
    question? or wants to speak? Or is it pretty informal when in class?
    What does a cadet say when he /she has to leave the
    class immediately( sick, wants to go to the loo ).

How does he report when he is late for class? or has a
    meeting with a superior officer?

What does a cadet on duty say at the end of a period/
    lesson?

What does a cadet say when reporting on post?

Any other good language patternes to teach my students?

I would appreciate if you could help me with my military lingo.

Thanks in advance,

cdtjohn

2. What a strange question for Sunday morning, CJ!

1. If an Officer or WO1 enters a classroom, I expect the class to "sit up". The response is "Thank You. At Ease".

2. Roll call - "Sir". Even when a Cpl is calling the roll and Officers are responding.

3. "Sir" and "Excuse me, Sir". Classrooms can be fairly informal, especially with more senior soldiers, but the relationship between instructors and Phase 1 and 2 soldiers will always be formal.

4. See 3.

5. "Thank God that is over!". :lol:

6. Normally, "Private X reporting for duty, Sir!"

Litotes

3. A favoured one amongst some training institutions, and so I'm told, the Bde of Guards is thus...

Having had them sit up and you having approached, as duty bod, making the correct pleasantries...

"Sir/Ma'mn (read marm as we're british) *insert class title and group e.g. 2plt Leadership development course*. There are x cadets are present and awaiting your next period of instruction. May I have your leave to sit the class easy and remove headress please sir/ma'mn."

Edit: - Changed example as previous had assumed poster was ACF.

4. Thanks guys for your prompt replies!

It would be great if you could also check out the following in-class
    phrases:

1. A Cadet /Private makes a presentation in class or briefs a class on a specific topic:
    ' Sir/Ma'am, Class, I'm Cadet Miller and I will brief you on ..... '
    ( any other varients of addressing a class or an instructor? )

2. A Cadet/ Private wants to ask a question:
    ' Sir, PFC asks permission ( or asking permission ) to ask a question"
    ( Would it be OK? )

3. A Cadet /Private need to go out ( e.g. got a phone call from his girl-friend, sick, etc );

'Sir, May I go out? or Sir, PFC Miller asks permission to leave your class... and call my girl -friend !"

Sounds, funny, ah? The thing is that English is my foreign language and sometimes I have a liitle bit of a problem with it.

Thanx in advance,

cdtjohn

5. Ant,

Trying not to be TOO pedantic but actually the rules of etiquette demand that it is pronounced "Ma'am" to rhyme with "jam", at least when addressing HM and the Royals!

7. Unfortunately having not had the Navy touch for a good while I can no longer bring myself to say such a thing old chap.

As for HRH et al the day the Army lets a social hand grenade like myself near them Satan will be skating. :D

8. hi there:

would it be ok to say : "Sir, Cadet X reports for ....... exam" (? )
    ... and the instructor goes like...... ? "At ease" ( ? ) in fact i am not sure about that. plz correct!

what would be a wrap- up sentence on finishing a presentation ?

thanx in advance.

cdtjohn

9. Don't get too focused on the third person speech stuff - ie "Sir, the Cadet wishes to enter the classroom" and other such rubbish. There is a very big difference between US English and UK English in this area- I have very little experience of the US stuff but were a Cadet to try that style on in a UK environment, I would think he was trying to be funny. As Litotes suggests, once one is out of a Basic training environment, there's little formality in a British classrom- it just isn't the way it's done. Confuses foreigners sometimes...

Where are you doing your course?

10. When an NCO is calling the Roll the correct response for Officers is to answer with his rank. If, however, the CO or OC is on parade, then the NCO is taking the Roll on behalf of that officer and the correct response is Sir.

11. John - are you by any chance at an American Military school?

There will be differences.

LB

12. Quite agree, especially when the exhortation comes in the form of "Scuse ranks, Gents." The last is a word that should never be uttered and used only in extremis as a label on a lavatory door.

13. Hey Max, what sort of language would you use in a UK environment? I know it's a drag , but could you possibly find a couple of minutes to sum up the UK everyday military lingo.

It's a pity we don't have a voice mail tool, or a podcast hub to record some stuff..... :(

cdtjohn

14. Bloody Hell chaps,

Iknow that leadership can be developed but an officer (even in training) should be able to quickly judge the environment in which he is operating and adjust his behaviour/speach to an appropriate level. It's as inate as removing your glove to shake a hand or taking off your sunglasses to when talking to someone.

In all officer training establishments I have frequented from OTC, RMAS, YOs, various Special-to-Arm Schools and single service and joint staff colleges, the onus is on a professional relaxed learning environment where instructors are accorded tacit respect and students and instructors converse as equals. Initially things may start formally with students standing or bracing up as the instructor enters but most Directing Staff (DS) bin this immedeately.

John - If you follow the lead of your fellow students you will not go far wrong. In addition you will be cut considerable slack as a foreign student so do not worry.

UQFEGD

PP

PS - When I was at the Shop, all Non-commissioned DS below the rank of WO2 were addressed by rank or as Staff or Colour Sarn't.