Military Housing - Provided Furniture

In a weeks time me and my partner move into married quarters - we already have white goods in our current accommodation, but have asked for bed frames, bed side tables etc to make it easier for us. This is our first time moving into married quarters and very unsure what the furniture looks like... I have read in most places that it's not considered "good" which is a bit vague, are the bed frames wood or that cheap metal stuff? Is it delivered after we move in? and is it flat packed and self assembly? All super daft questions I'm sure but have to ask them.

Are the houses generally quite clean upon moving in or will we have to do it before we shift our shit in?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't be surprised if you get to pick one of these three houses:
1609512810609.png

Just kidding, good luck with it all.

Solid as a solid thing I have some of the old chests of drawers in my mancave virtually indestructible and about 40 years old

The furniture we've had from stores over the last 20 years is 'functional'. Some of it even looks ok, and is reasonably comfortable, but you're never going to win a 'Better Homes & Gardens' competition with it in your gaff. It's great to get you in, and then decide what you actually want to buy (or to wait for sales), but if you're handing any back during your time in the quarter (ie, at an interim time before you move out), make sure the scale (fully-/partly-/un-furnished) is recalculated, and if you're due a reduction in rent, that it's applied. We got ripped off by DIO for 6 years on overcharge of rented furniture (my own fault for not checking) and then they would only redeem the current years charges when challenged.

As far as cleanliness, a major factor is how long since the previous tenants moved out. Much-out standard is generally very high, and rigorously applied, but if a quarter is subsequently vacant for a lengthy period, any cleaning done by DIO (if any at all) is liable to be pretty slap-dash.

This is our first time moving into married quarters and very unsure what the furniture looks like... I have read in most places that it's not considered "good" which is a bit vague, are the bed frames wood or that cheap metal stuff?

Stylish? Not especially. Hideous? Also no, and a lot less awful than the issue furniture I remember from the pads of my childhood. Pretty solidly constructed, too. The beds are divans, rather than frames. Mattresses should be new and sealed, no dodgy second-hand piss-stained ones.

If you're desperately curious I'll take some photos of mine.

Is it delivered after we move in? and is it flat packed and self assembly? All super daft questions I'm sure but have to ask them.

The furniture should be there when you march in, since you'll have to sign for it as part of the process. It's mostly preassembled, but you might have to do some odds and sods like putting shelves in the bookcase and attaching the headboard to the bed.

Are the houses generally quite clean upon moving in or will we have to do it before we shift our shit in?

Should be in reasonable order. You will get dust proportional to the length of time it's been empty, but if no-one's using the cooker, toilet etc., they should be as clean as the previous occupant left them.

offog

LE
This furniture is definitely not ikea flatpack. It is very sturdy and has been around since the 50s and has been constantly moved from house to house so needed to be well made and sturdy. The beds will come apart to make transporting more manageable but they are solid.

Having said that the armchairs and settees are very unconvertable but do the job till you get something better.

When Germany was shutting down in the 90 we purchased a number of items which we still have today. I have yet to see anything close to the build quality on sale now.

What everyone else said.

Stylish for the 1960's, though retro is making a comeback, and very solidly made as it needs to be squaddie-proof.

I don't know what they issue nowadays, but back in the day all you needed to do was roll up with your suitacases and kitbag as everything else was supplied with the house: curtains, towels, sheets, cutlery, crockery, saucepans, beds, rugs, carpets, cork bath mat, bread bin, ironing board.......everything.

Just make sure you disinfect everything get a squitty bottle of dettox.

I'm reading this thread with a certain amount of awe. It all sounds very like my last married quarter furniture and I left in 1981. Must be almost antique by now.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only advice I will give is be ruthless in recording and reporting any and all marks, defects, breakages etc. Also record the state of the garden. Carpet marked? Photo , record and report etc. I learned to even check things like all the doors work (and are actually attached) and open and shut all the windows, we once had a SFA with an upstairs window pulled to, but no catch ie it was open. Also be ruthless about the march in standard of cleanliness. Make sure it is up to standard, as the march out standard will be upheld, even if it looks like a squatters digs when you moved in.

The supplied furniture is better than a Tesco value range, functional and will tide you over until you can afford to replace it.

Good luck.

In a weeks time me and my partner move into married quarters - we already have white goods in our current accommodation, but have asked for bed frames, bed side tables etc to make it easier for us. This is our first time moving into married quarters and very unsure what the furniture looks like... I have read in most places that it's not considered "good" which is a bit vague, are the bed frames wood or that cheap metal stuff? Is it delivered after we move in? and is it flat packed and self assembly? All super daft questions I'm sure but have to ask them.

The advice already offered is sound, one thing I will add is that if you should go to Germany

DO NOT BUY A SHRANK

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'll add that, dependent on your experience (time served and rank) it may be worth having someone from your unit help you at March in, ie Welfare Officer/SNCO or Pl Sgt etc, ie someone who knows how these work and what the pitfalls can be

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt

Houses are clean as if the previous tenants don’t make the March out standard they get cleaners in.

and if you ask for furniture it will be there for when you move in - Amey move it in for you already assembled. The new stuff is quite good quality actually - only ever had problems with sofas and curtains; the rest wouldn’t look out of place at Oak Furniture Land (accept that’s not everyone’s cup of tea lol)

Does anybody remember wharfing?

You either got a quarter empty or fully furnished with the option to part furnish. If you wanted it part furnished you had to complete paperwork for wharfing to detail what you didn‘t require.

Accommodation charges were then deducted accordingly.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

What everybody else has said, but I'll add, you do not 'move in', it's called 'march in' (no, there is no stampy feet and swinging arms, it's the terminology) and when you leave it's it's called a 'march out.'

The standard of cleanliness of the previous 'march out' should be very high and you will be expected to keep that high standard when you leave.

There will be a number of bods at the place when you arrive, any damage or discrepencies can be sorted then. Once you get in the swing of it, it's all quite straight forward.

Good luck.

OP: you will be OK. As said above, all solid, usable furniture to start your life together. Good advice above. You don’t state where you are in your career, but if you do accept anything that is not new, log every detail to avoid surprises later.
Best wishes on the new chapter in your lives.

Have a look at Fiesta reader’s wives and you’ll get a fair idea.
You may laugh but i knew a snowdrop SIB who cut out and kept the photos why i don't know given that he would not nick the lads for birds in the block saying it would be wrong as the fittest wraf on camp was climbing in his room every night

Latest Threads