• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Military Hospitals

Should BM Hospitals be re-opened?

  • YES , part of basic military neccesity

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No , the NHS is the way forward

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO , all our wounded should be there for abuse(Birmingham)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
I know this subject has been touched upon , however....
Watching BBC Spotlight tonight (West country version)

Small article(sorry no link found) about the Grandfather of a soldier from Crediton killed in IRAQ

Grandfather Coffey(?) is starting a petition to have British Military Hospitals re-opened/re-instituted

He feels that the Government are seriously under-reporting the scale of requirement and that it can all be kept quiet / spun to look like Squaddies wanting preferential treatment.

Now is it me , or does there seem to be a slight opening for some pressure from the members of ARRSE.

Come on, we helped an ex=serving Gurkha be granted Citizenship, surely we can get this on the political landscape?

I know i've mentioned this subject, and i will continue to bang on about it,
lets be honest, for those of us old enough to remember them they were decently run Hospitals that served H.M. Forces and the local communities.


MoD official response , HM Hospitals not required as all military needs are met by NHS

Specialists(of all disciplines) should be gathered for the military
H.M forces should not have to travel to an over-worked NHS FACILITY ,
IT'S BAD FOR MORALE AND BLO*DY BAD FOR H.M.Forces P.R.


Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant ,
This is too much of an issue and something we must get behind
 
#2
HMGov claim that the hospitals were closed as they lacked specialist skills.

I will say this once, here, load and clear.

LIE......like everything else relating to defence cuts n the past 20 years this is a LIE to cover a financial decision.
 
#3
To be honest, they shouldn't have bloody closed in the first place. They are sitting there empty (Except for at least one case, where it is fully equipped bar people) and should be used for the purpose that they where designed for.


Its the NHS that isn't fit for purpose.
 
#4
Just a thought for the 'old & bold' amongst us
How many of you and yours wouldn't be around now if these Hospitals had been closed in 1975/76?

How many of us would be walking around without places like HEDLEY COURT?

How many PAD Brats wouldn't of been born without places like BMH Hannover, RAF Wegberg , RAF Rinteln , RAF Ely, R.N. Haslar?

H.M Forces are all too poorly paid, this is one part of the covenant between our masters and the forces which should not be allowed to fall prey to accountants decisions and political machinations to placate unions.
 
#5
Only been in BMH twice [lucky me] and both for routine medical reasons.

Couldn't really fault anything, not left on trolley in corridor, wouldn't have objected if appointments were delayed because the staff had to deploy to do battlefield work ...

We need BMH more than ever, thanks to Bliar's involvement in "More Wars".
 
#6
Been a guest in British Military Hospitals in Hannover, Woolwich, Catterick, Belfast, Rawton, Akrotiri and Aldershot. :(

Been treated in a few NHS hospitals up & down the country and been a guest in a couple of German civvy hospitals. :cry:

The cleanest hospitals of all were the BMHs and they were the only place where I felt I was understood and took precedence over someones shift pattern. The staff in Musgrave Park were excellent. :D

And yes, if I was a horse I'd have been put down by now :D
 
#7
December 17th 1977 Military Hospital Colchester closed down.

That night of the 17th, myself and a duty doctor both RAMC on duty..and the hospital did not have anyone admitted...approx 11pm at night a local GP arrives at reception (WITH MALE PATIENT) wanting to admit this elderly man, terminal and only a few days to live.......MOD informed the duty MO no civillians to be admitted.....after approx 1 hour argument over the phone between GP and MOD..old man died in reception during argument!!!!
 
#9
Englishspringer said:
Been a guest in British Military Hospitals in Hannover, Woolwich, Catterick, Belfast, Rawton, Akrotiri and Aldershot. :(

Been treated in a few NHS hospitals up & down the country and been a guest in a couple of German civvy hospitals. :cry:

The cleanest hospitals of all were the BMHs and they were the only place where I felt I was understood and took precedence over someones shift pattern. The staff in Musgrave Park were excellent. :D

And yes, if I was a horse I'd have been put down by now :D
FFS you have been in hospital more times than I been sick! What's your real name 'Lucky' or 'Sicknote'?
 
#10
Darthspud said:
How many PAD Brats wouldn't of been born without places like BMH Hannover, RAF Wegberg , RAF Rinteln , RAF Ely, R.N. Haslar?
youve missed the biggest maternity hosp in military history!
The Louise Margaret at the CMH Aldershot.

we wont get a dedicated military hospital again, however watchout for something which is almost one in all but name attached to a civvie hospital in the next few years, allegedly!
 
#11
western said:
Englishspringer said:
Been a guest in British Military Hospitals in Hannover, Woolwich, Catterick, Belfast, Rawton, Akrotiri and Aldershot. :(

Been treated in a few NHS hospitals up & down the country and been a guest in a couple of German civvy hospitals. :cry:

The cleanest hospitals of all were the BMHs and they were the only place where I felt I was understood and took precedence over someones shift pattern. The staff in Musgrave Park were excellent. :D

And yes, if I was a horse I'd have been put down by now :D
FFS you have been in hospital more times than I been sick! What's your real name 'Lucky' or 'Sicknote'?
could be a "walking sick report".....
 
#12
I was born there and at the time the 'Lousy Mag' was a hospital in its own right not a wing of CMH.
 
#13
Boris remind me not to cross a road with you.
 
#14
Filbert Fox said:
Darthspud said:
How many PAD Brats wouldn't of been born without places like BMH Hannover, RAF Wegberg , RAF Rinteln , RAF Ely, R.N. Haslar?
youve missed the biggest maternity hosp in military history!
The Louise Margaret at the CMH Aldershot.
Think he forgot RVH Netley!!!!!!
 
#16
Queen Elizabeth Military hospital at Woolwich is still there. This is now used by the NHS and has been for quite a while.
 
#17
boris7 said:
Filbert Fox said:
Darthspud said:
How many PAD Brats wouldn't of been born without places like BMH Hannover, RAF Wegberg , RAF Rinteln , RAF Ely, R.N. Haslar?
youve missed the biggest maternity hosp in military history!
The Louise Margaret at the CMH Aldershot.
Think he forgot RVH Netley!!!!!!
Netley was a maternity hospital? That will come as a surprise to many, including me.

Also, don't think Haslar ever had a maternity unit (certainly not since the mid-1970s).
 
#18
Just out of interest.........Where do they send Army Pers with the clap now that I assume the Royal Herbert in Woolwich has been closed for many a year?
My offspring like many others were born in various Mil Hospitals around the world [Singapore, Malta etc.,]
 
#19
Neuroleptic said:
Netley was a maternity hospital? That will come as a surprise to many, including me.
I would agree - word association of the time, though it may well have have been somewhat unfair, was Netley=section8 (times were not so PC), I believe Wroughton took over the role, both hospitals did a sterling job.
Maybe (though I doubt) it changed to maternity later.
 
#20
rockape34 said:
Neuroleptic said:
Netley was a maternity hospital? That will come as a surprise to many, including me.
I would agree - word association of the time, though it may well have have been somewhat unfair, was Netley=section8 (times were not so PC), I believe Wroughton took over the role, both hospitals did a sterling job.
Maybe (though I doubt) it changed to maternity later.
When Netley shut, the army opened a psychiatric unit at Woolwich and the Navy at Haslar. The RAF never had a large presence at Netley (didn't want to play with common people), and their unit at Wroughton was already open. When the Haslar inpatient unit shut in 1987/88, Navy patients went to Wroughton (mainly) or Woolwich. Wroughton and Woolwich both closed when the tri-service unit was opened at Catterick in the mid 90s.

Netley closed as a military hospital when the psychiatric department moved out in 1978. Hampshire police took some of the site (and still use it) and the rest became a country park.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top