Military history related sites in Devon

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CrashTestDummy, Jun 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys and gals,

I'm off to Devon in July for a couple of weeks and would appreciate some ideas on visiting historical military sites in (or close to) the county. Something at the back of my mind suggests that some beaches in S Devon were used for D Day rehearsals.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

2. That's the one!

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There's also the defences around Plymouth if you like that sort of thing, which I do. One of the forts in the north of teh town is owned by English Heritage. I don't know if its still open. There's another one that's been turned into a hotel over by Whitesand Bay, which is itself a nice day out.

If naval stuff is of interest there's a dockyard museum (by appointment only) and HMS Conqueror is/was open to the public, again by pre-booking. I can't google it for you because of the IT police.

4. Most of the older pubs probably saw quite a few knee-tremblers with willing local lasses around the backs of them in the run up to D Day.
    One of North Devon's best pubs - Kings Arms Georgeham, Braunton Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

On summer evenings the area round the back of the coal shed still has the faint magical lingering odourrr of boot polish, perfume, knickers, pale ale and gun oil.

WHAT? Its history. Roiyt, boy?

Also:

Braunton Countryside Centre WWII D-Day Training
    Subterranean History: Brixham Battery, Devon

5. http://www.devonmuseums.net/Plymouth-Naval-Base-Museum/Devon-Museums/

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

6. IIRC Uppottery (where 506th PIR took off from on 5th June 1944) is just off the A303, but that might actually be Dorset, not Devon.

7. Devon & Dorset - stacks of history. Pop over to Bovvie for some heavy metal action too. Not far.

Dartmouth has the old 'hards' still in use on the harbour front. Lots of Yanks launched from there on D-2.

There are two small bridges on an A road about 5-6 miles east of Exeter (sorry don't know the place name) where the Oxs & Bucks practised their assault (without the gliders) on the bridges. The two Brit ones they used were almost exactly same distance apart as at Oustreheim apparently.

Further afield Portsmouth Dockyard is brilliant esp the Mary Rose.

8. Slightly more of a stretch but also reasonably interesting is the Spanish barn at Torre Abbey in Torquay, so called as it was used in 1588 to hold Spanish prisoners from Armada warships sunk during the running battles against the English fleet in the Channel.

9. Sorry, as you were. Plymouth has not been idle. Evidently it has undergone amazing changes, from an Elizabethan City, in to fkin Bradford. It is apparently a festering shit-hole. The only remaining history you''d get would be criminal, and longstanding traditions include getting glassed in Jesters or groped on Millbay.

You might consider that landslides in Plymouth have uncovered WW2 Post boxes, and that the Royal Naval Dockyards, har fckin har, are quite historical. Other than that, Plymouth's just hysterical.

10. Nope, still in Devon