Military Hair Brush

Apparently issued to Officers at some point, but recently have seen them for sale in independant pharmicies.

Can they still be procured as I want one?

You want a hair brush?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
They're available in Independant pharmacies? So go and buy one then you tight arrsed git!

Maybe he has military hair.

'That hair there! Yes YOU! Stannup STRAIGHT, you 'orrible little follicle you...'

I dont have a military hairbrush, but I do have a military watch. Shite timekeeper but it does keep telling me to get a haircut.

All soldiers used to be issued a hairbrush, oval shaped with whalebone bristles, plus a tooth brush, polish on brush, polish off brush, clothes brush, blanco brush, button brush and shaving brush. The British brush industry must have been devastated when the WD stopped issuing them. Being a spotter I have some dated 1907 and they are of very good quality and use a 1950s dated polish off brush everyday.

This seems a non sequitur to me. If one has a proper military haircut why would you have any need for a brush, except perhaps for the run on ones back and shoulders?

Men will be well groomed at all times and will abide by the following: (1) Hair
(a) Hair Length.
Hair will be neat and closely trimmed. The hair may be clipped at the edges of the side and back and will be evenly graduated all the way around the head (blended or faded and not edged as an outline)from zero length at the hairline in the lower portion of the head to the upper portion of the head. Hair will not be over 3 inches in length fully extended (an extended hair, not the style, determines proper length) on the upper portion of the head. The bulk of the hair shall not exceed approximately two inches. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp when styled.
The back and sides of the head below the hairline may be shaved to remove body hair.
Sideburns will not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear, as indicated by the line A-A' in figures 1-1 and 1-2. Sideburns will not be styled to taper, flare or come to a point. The length of an individual hair of the sideburn will not exceed 1/8 inch when fully extended.

No male Marine will be required to have his entire hair length clipped to the scalp except while he is undergoing recruit training or when such action is prescribed by a medical officer. This does not prohibit a male Marine from having his hair clipped (or shaved) to the scalp if he so desires. (b) Hair Style.

Head hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of uniform headgear. Hair, which protrudes from beneath properly worn headgear in an unsightly manner, is considered excessive, regardless of length. Male hair styles will conform to the natural shape of the head without eccentric directional flow, twists or spiking. One (cut, clipped or shaved) natural, narrow, fore and aft off centered part(placed no further than the outer corner of the eye and will not extend down the back of the head) is authorized. The following hair style types are considered eccentric and are not authorized (this list is not all inclusive): (1) hair styling which include single patches of hair on the top of the head(not consistent with natural hair loss);
(2) hair styled to run as a strip down the center of the scalp (i.e. “Mohawk” fashion); (3) hair styled to leave an unusually large open (bald) area on the top of the head (not
consistent with natural hair loss); and
(4) hair styles which include the etching of letters, signs or figures, not considered natural in appearance.

Braiding of the hair is not authorized for male Marines. When used, hair gel/mousse should provide a conservative, natural appearance. (See figures1-1 through 1-2)

JJH

Can you lot perhaps provide some more, comprehensive guidance?

Just toooo woolly, Colonel, and easily open to misinterpretation.

JJH

Can you lot perhaps provide some more, comprehensive guidance?

Just toooo woolly, Colonel, and easily open to misinterpretation.
I was confident you would enjoy that--and that is not all of the regulations mind you. We even have prohibitions on carrying umbrellas, hands in pockets, wearing more than one ring on a finger etc.

Hells teeth JJH - do you mean to say that your officers need to be taught how to carry a brolly?
Read it again--they are prohibited--no such girly apparatus for us! As Marines we are quite accustomed to getting wet outdoors.

I will grant you however that the mechanisms on most umbrellas today with their complex self opening devices etc. are well beyond the technical abilities of most Marines--and especially helicopter pilots. I will not even mention our mortarmen.

;-)

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Read it again--they are prohibited--no such girly apparatus for us! As Marines we are quite accustomed to getting wet outdoors.
To quote an old Colour Sergeant of mine - Any fuckwit can be cold and uncomfortable. Besides the Umbrella has an important role in war.

Major Digby Tatham-Warter

"Tatham-Warter later revealed that he carried the umbrella because he could never remember the password, and it would be quite obvious to anyone that the bloody fool carrying the umbrella could only be an Englishman".

"Like the majority of the defenders at Arnhem, Digby received several wounds during the battle for the bridge, but he shrugged off the limp, caused by minor shrapnel cuts to his posterior, and hung his umbrella from the sling on his arm.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer

I will grant you however that the mechanisms on most umbrellas today with their complex self opening devices etc. are well beyond the technical abilities of most Marines--and especially helicopter pilots. I will not even mention our mortarmen.

;-)
That's where you've got it quite wrong, I'm afraid. Umbrellas are meant to be carried - they are not to be unrolled - ever.

That reminds me of the story of the American who bought an umbrella in Fox's to be told by the assistant how to use an umbrella if it was raining

" No Sir you don't unrol it, you stand by the side of the kerb, raise the umbrella and shout "cab"".

Latest Threads