Military Graves in Civilian Cemeteries

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Apr 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Who is responsible for the upkeep of these sites?
    I spied one in Birkbeck yesterday and it was sadly overgrown.
    I saw at least 5 headstones from the boundary and recognised RAF and RE capbadges.
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

British war grave commision or military attache,s office at embassies, I visited some war graves last sunday in Bulgaria, the grounds and Headstones are kept beautifully.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Probably the local authority; if they run the cemetary.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I thought it was the Commonwealth War Grave Commission?

Web Page Name

Yep, I believe it is.

If you contact them and give them the locstat of the burials they will send someone out to rectify. Or alternate option is they are unadopted graves ie no known family and they are local to you, then you can adopt one or more of the fallen and spruce up their resting place. It doesn't take much of a time commitment in the greater scheme of things.
  5. There's RMLI and RAF in my local cemetery, and they seem fairly tidy and looked after. I remember years ago when I was in scouts we spent a weekend clearing and tidying up the place.
  6. HI ugly
    I was working at an ex Methodist chapel in Huddersfield that had a cemetery at the rear and in the cemetery were about 3 or 4 war graves and the then house owner said that the first 2 or 3 rows of the cemetery were maintained by the war graves commission due to there been some war graves in the rows hope this is of help also try contacting them through this linky :D
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was walking the track alongside the cemetery when I saw them, they looked tattily overgrown from that angle and I too remember seeing the military ones in my local cemetery in Cornwall which always looked well cared for!
    I will visit again next week possibly then get in touch with CWGC to ask!
  8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Well done BAB thats what I ment,
  9. Not sure who is responsible, but here in Belgium, not far from Brussels, there is a whole Halifax crew buried in the local churchyard, the graves are well kept.

They are listed on the CWGC site so they may have some responsibility, or the locals may have taken the responsibility on. Whichever it is good to see that someone still cares enough to ensure they are maintained.
  10. The CWGC website lists casualties from both World Wars, is there a website for casualties since 1945?
  11. The National Arbotorumn (excuse spelling) may help
  12. E-Layer has expressed the correct general rule Ug. :wink: The CWGC control CWGC military cemeteries and memorials. The rules were no overseas repatriation, but, depending on the circumstances and individual rulings made, (usually after petition by the NoK), burials need not necessarily take place within CWGC grounds.

I’ve said ‘generally’ as variations occurred for fair reason. e.g. Those in planes and boats may have actually died well away from Britain. ‘British’ servicemen with family in France, Belgium, Holland, Italy etc, who happened to be killed on service in those countries may have been claimed by their family in that country – the rule was no repatriation to another country, but it was permissible for the body to be moved within the country of death. Then you have Orde Wingate. Killed with his British ADC and eight Americans in a B25 crash in Burma. Recovered remains, not individually unidentifiable, buried locally, then reinterred to CWGC Imphal, then reintered in Arlington USA as the majority of the remains were American, and that was the rule in these cases. 8O

If in a private plot, or tomb, maintenance is down to the family. There may not be a CWGC headstone as the individual may be intered with family, but their inscription should include name, rank and serial number and usually their Unit. CWGC try to have an associate visit and report on gaves every year, and perhaps this may appear to be easier abroad as there are probably fewer than in Britain. If a grave is in decline, it’s policy to try and contact the NoK and offer assistance. If untraceable, CWGC will approach whoever has responsibly for the cemetery and seek to assist in that way.