Military Gap Year

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by geoffgb, Feb 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the Gap Year that 4 PARA offer. I have filled out their online application form, but no info yet!

Has anyone undertook the year or have any info on it? or can anyone answer these questions for me?

1) whats the age limit to enroll?
    2) at what stage do you go full time within the year?
    3)would Afghanistan be an option for you within the 'ops or ex' phase
    4) what are the chances of doing your jumps?
    5) when you get embedded with a regular troop in the final stages of the year, what will the regular lads perception be of you?

cheers for any help,
    plus here is the link http://www.4para.co.uk/home/index.php?Itemid=98&option=com_wrapper

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1. Same as the rest of the TA. Minimum 18 years for the op deployment.
    2. Once you have finished training you will be on Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) with a regular Bn.
    3. If the Bns are deployed when you finish training, and there is enough time left for you to join them, yes. If not, no.
    4. It is part of the package.
    5. It depends. On arrival, you will be watched very closely. If you are up to scratch, then there should be no problems. if you are not, then expect some remedial training (and PT!)

PS. Please only post your questions on one board, rather than several.

3. Apologies, I just thought I would get a more diverse amount of answers if i posted on several.

thanks for you help though

p.s. what is the maximum age for the gap year?

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You will get a more diverse amount of answers, mostly wild speculation. There are only a limited number of posters who have the required knowledge, and we tend to keep an eye out for these sorts of posts.

The theorectical maximum age is 43, as that is the age cap for joining the TA. In reality, most are in their late teens/early 20's.

5. I applied a few weeks ago and at the end of last week I got a letter through the door. Sent an email asking about my age, I know you have to be 18 but because it's a gap year programme and I finish college this year, and I am unsure about a career in the military I thought I'd take it up, problem is, I'm only 17, not 18 until August, the gap year starts in July. So I emailed the 4PARA recruiting office, got an email back saying I couldn't do it, wanted confirmation as I was gutted, phoned them up, the guy I spoke to said he's sure it will be fine but he'll get back to me, hasn't phoned me yet.

Might just join my local TA regiment when I finally turn 18, heard the West Midlands regiment wasn't the best though.

Joe

6. Joe I have PM'd you

7. Hi. I filled in the online application form on the 4 PARA website 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything back yet. Was wondering how long other people had to wait for a response? Also does anyone have any information on what the application process involves? And how competitive it is?

8. I didn't have to wait that long last year. I expect you'll get a reply through the post next week.

The application process; you can tip up to whichever Coy you plan to do your training with for an Insight Weekend. After that you'll join the recruit cadre and do 4 months training culminating in CIC / P Coy for 2 weeks in Catterick.

It'll all be explained when you get your reply in the post.

9. Did my 4 Para cadre june-november last year, with p company at the end (obvs). Along with 23 recruits, 144 etc etc

we had some gap year guys who are now attached to a regular para battalion and i presume you've seen the news about 16 AAB and their up and coming deployments...

all of them were expected to pass p company, those with no military experience, eg no UOTC or whatever went along to 4 para recruit training before going off on a gap-year course, before attending TA CIC and P Company at Catterick.

they were all 18-22, some taking a year out from uni, some taking a gap year between school and uni, or a job or whatever.

end of the day, expect to go on ops, keep checking the 4 para website and get fit.

10. Rob sent you a PM

11. Hi, Im looking at doing the gap year with 4 para and have a few questions i was hoping someone could answer.

firstly it says on the website that training starts mid july, but in the information packs i have received the training dates start in may. does anyone know if these are the dates of the gap year or is it just one of several training cadres that gap year candidates can be on?

secondly so far as the tuesday night parades are concerned do you have to get up to the nearest 4 para training centre or can you do them at your local TA centre as this is what I've heard from people in other national TA units.

finally I am on an insight course up in pudsey in about a months time as that is my closest training centre at the moment, but after the summer i will be living much closer to the london training centre, can you change between them?

Thanks

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

13. Hi, Im looking at doing the gap year with 4 para and have a few questions i was hoping someone could answer.

firstly it says on the website that training starts mid july, but in the information packs i have received the training dates start in may. does anyone know if these are the dates of the gap year or is it just one of several training cadres that gap year candidates can be on?

The gap year is mainly set-up for students wanting to take time out of their university course. The start date this year will be in September 2008. There are other styles of training cadres that are run during the year, May is the start date of one of those. If you require any more details PM me

Secondly so far as the tuesday night parades are concerned do you have to get up to the nearest 4 para training centre or can you do them at your local TA centre as this is what I've heard from people in other national TA units.

You will need to attend training nights at one of the 4 Para locations.

finally I am on an insight course up in pudsey in about a months time as that is my closest training centre at the moment, but after the summer i will be living much closer to the london training centre, can you change between them?

Yes, there is one training policy operated by the Battalion and with communication you can move locations with out missing any modules.

Feel free to ask any other questions or pm me and I will speak to you direct.

14. I've actually applied for this gap year as well. Does anyone know if its popular and how fit you have to be etc.?

any help would be great

15. i did 5 yrs in the grenadier guards and got out in 1987 , im now aged 42 and wondered what the chances of being allowed to join 4 para ? ive been seperated for a year now and have a lot of time on my hands and am desperate for a chance to try it , i know it will be hard but i would give it 110 % , just wondered if you or anybody else knows what the chances are ?