• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Military furious at plans to prepare cover for prison staff strike

Hmmm, the government have also managed to piss off the only other agency that could deal with prison disorder as well.

By that I don't mean the salvation army either ;)

Interesting.

Don't panic dear, its the Home Office.

They are so utterly ****ing incompetent they thought that an earthquake on the others side of the world would make us miss this. Do NOTHING until you are told to. But prepare for the worst...

OK I am from across the pond but what I don't understand is why they cannot use police for this. It would seem they would be more in line with the duties of corrections officers than the military. Is it simply that they would have to pay overtime to constables and PCSO's while military do not get overtime?

Also I have a question about the fire strike 7 or 8 years ago. All the stories at the time indicated that the military were required to use the "Green Goddess" equipment. This made no sense to me here in the US. Why could they not use the more modern equipment already in the fire stations/ fire halls. (not sure of the UK terminology). I tried to research it and found nothing in the media which made it sound like using the old equipment was the most natural thing to do.

Also I have a question about the fire strike 7 or 8 years ago. All the stories at the time indicated that the military were required to use the "Green Goddess" equipment. This made no sense to me here in the US. Why could they not use the more modern equipment already in the fire stations/ fire halls. (not sure of the UK terminology).
As I recall from an earlier Op Fresco in Essex we were told it was down to a lack of insurance.

David,

Just my own opinions:

Not enough police and, as you say, too expensive. I was involved in the prison strike of 1980 using an old WW2 camp as a temporary prison. How my platoon loved bedding down in an empty sheep pen while the TVs, videos and multi-gyms were carried into the prisoners' huts.

For the fire strike (and there was a big one in 1975 as well), the troops aren't trained to use modern kit and getting to it would involve going through picket lines which would result in serious public unrest.

OK I am from across the pond but what I don't understand is why they cannot use police for this. It would seem they would be more in line with the duties of corrections officers than the military. Is it simply that they would have to pay overtime to constables and PCSO's while military do not get overtime?

Also I have a question about the fire strike 7 or 8 years ago. All the stories at the time indicated that the military were required to use the "Green Goddess" equipment. This made no sense to me here in the US. Why could they not use the more modern equipment already in the fire stations/ fire halls. (not sure of the UK terminology). I tried to research it and found nothing in the media which made it sound like using the old equipment was the most natural thing to do.
David,

In regards to using the Police, as well as been to expensive, a lot of rank and file serving officers are now NFI. On top of recent budget cuts (which will reduce the number of frontline officers) a review of Terms and Conditions will lead to pay cuts and reduced pensionable benefits. As one of my mates put it, when his mobile rings nowadays, if it isn't a mate, it isn't getting answered. We will shortly be subjected to the farce of Police stewarding a public demonstration by the Police!!!

Just to lope back to firefighting for a second:

a) the Army don't take over the shiny new fire engines, because they're not at all soldier proof
b) you can't deploy Green Goddesses much either - quite a lot if them were quietly sold off in 2004

When this government has made all the Armed Forces redundant, where will it turn to cover strikes by:

Police; Firemen; Ambulance Services; Dustmen; Prison Services and all manner of striking nerds?

It would need substantial numbers of Officers to not strike to run anything like a normal regime. Not wanting to insult the military (I served 20 odd years) but you will be no more than a set of keys on legs. In any case, I doubt that Prison officers would have the stomach to strike, it is unlawful for them to do so & some areas of the country may be more prone to industrial action than others.
There are many reasons for anger, amongst these being staff safety, as over the years prisoners have become younger & more violent but staffing levels have reduced. The official figure states that the ratio of officers to prisoners is 1:3, in reality the figure is more likely to be anywhere between 1:20 to 1:30.
Also staff starting on the new contract since 2009 are on substantially lower pay than existing staff (although they are expected to carry out identical duties) if that was tried in any other uniformed service there would be outrage.

Latest Threads