Military Funerals for Veterans

Simple question really, I have a mate who has just died, 32 years service, he was a good age, 82 and the family want him to have a military funeral. Now I’m guessing that involves a Union Jack draped coffin, pallbearers in uniform and perhaps even a firing of weapons? I don’t really know what the tradition or etiquette is for such an occasion for a veteran or indeed if their wishes are practical or achievable, so I turn to you, Arrsers and veterans to tell me what is achievable, traditional and who I need to contact to arrange such an event.

Simple question really, I have a mate who has just died, 32 years service, he was a good age, 82 and the family want him to have a military funeral. Now I’m guessing that involves a Union Jack draped coffin, pallbearers in uniform and perhaps even a firing of weapons? I don’t really know what the tradition or etiquette is for such an occasion for a veteran or indeed if their wishes are practical or achievable, so I turn to you, Arrsers and veterans to tell me what is achievable, traditional and who I need to contact to arrange such an event.
Find the regiment, ask the adjutant. Be prepared for them to say no for a variety of reasons.

I seem to think funerals with full military honours are for WO1 (Retd) and whatever the Officer rank equivalent is with regards to time served etc. Probably Major

Ive been to a fair few funerals in recent years of ex Fusiliers both Reserve and regular and if required His local Association should be able to provide a flag , Regimental headdress etc.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ive been to a fair few funerals in recent years of ex Fusiliers both Reserve and regular and if required His local Association should be able to provide a flag , Regimental headdress etc.
It's certainly a stated service by Light Dragoons. Home Headquarters can provide flag and headdress for antecedent regiment if the deceased left before amalgamation, and representation by Regimental Secretary, his assistant or rarely if it's busy or a long way from Home, a representative.

It's certainly a stated service by Light Dragoons. Home Headquarters can provide flag and headdress for antecedent regiment if the deceased left before amalgamation, and representation by Regimental Secretary, his assistant or rarely if it's busy or a long way from Home, a representative.
Not a week goes by it seems now when theres a notice on our Bns facebook page of a passing, thats where the requests for attendance of Standard, Bugler and Comrades. Regiment sometimes issue a notification if they are informed

Am this moment planning a funeral for Dad. We are going Union jack on the coffin with 2 dress hat and medals no pallbearers, but coffin already in the crematorium. Service to consist of Regimental collect and the Regimental Association (REA) at the entrance when we go out.
Thats it, certainly no guns!

Guy I know who was a legend in 9 Para had 4 lads who were currently serving turn up to represent the Sqn. Plus just about every member of the unit from his time with them.
Not enough room in the crem to fit everyone in.

Thanks guys, all decent answers, which gives me something to go back to the family with. It’s a bit of a strange one this, my mate was a legend in REME during the 80’s & 90’s, I mean a 22 carat gold legend, he served 32 years and was awarded the BEM, he was however RRW. So I guess the best course of action is speak to the REME Association, perhaps a Union Jack and No2 dress hat and pallbearers if wanted provided by REME. The rifles etc. was the extreme end of my thinking and I’ve learnt since, reserved for serving soldiers killed whilst on active service. So thanks again guys for your suggestions

Thanks guys, all decent answers, which gives me something to go back to the family with. It’s a bit of a strange one this, my mate was a legend in REME during the 80’s & 90’s, I mean a 22 carat gold legend, he served 32 years and was awarded the BEM, he was however RRW. So I guess the best course of action is speak to the REME Association, perhaps a Union Jack and No2 dress hat and pallbearers if wanted provided by REME. The rifles etc. was the extreme end of my thinking and I’ve learnt since, reserved for serving soldiers killed whilst on active service. So thanks again guys for your suggestions
I'm sure that the RRW will want to know of this

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Why would rifles be needed? The old boy is already dead.

On a serious note, the Corps Association is the way to go mucker. My old boy died a few years back, 37 year RAF Veteren. There's a thread on here somewhere where I asked, as you have, for advice. The RAF Association supplied us with a flag and a trumpet player for last post.

I never met the man, but it's good to know you're thinking about giving him a respectful military send off.

Am this moment planning a funeral for Dad. We are going Union jack on the coffin with 2 dress hat and medals no pallbearers, but coffin already in the crematorium. Service to consist of Regimental collect and the Regimental Association (REA) at the entrance when we go out.
Thats it, certainly no guns!
My condolences, Pimps.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Find the regiment, ask the adjutant. Be prepared for them to say no for a variety of reasons.
If he was Infantry then there are few that would be from his time left so this is now a function of the Regimental Association. In our case, given suitable time and location, we provide Regimental Flag and Piper, Glengarry if needed but the family usually have the person's old GG and of course the family produce medals. Our role is to help the family, not take over the funeral. Funeral details are published on our website and, again depending on location, a goodly number of Old Royals usually attend. By location I mean that many of our guys live outside the Regimental area so more difficult to get people along if outside our area.

Recently has this, Union Flag draped over coffin, peaked cap, medals. We also laid a wreath on behalf of the Association.

I didn’t attend (I don’t do funerals), but it went well.

Lost a good mate in early July this year. There was a church service followed by a cremation.

He had a Union Jack on the coffin with a beret on the top with a wreath of red and green flowers with a black ribbon threading through them which represents our regimental colours.

We had a bugler play the last post at the church service and some of the lads in regimental blazers provided a guard of honour at the crematorium.

I organised the Union Jack flag, the beret, and the bugler. I didn’t need permission from anybody for any of that. The bugler was paid a small sum which just covered his travel expenses and a couple of pints of beer. The guard of honour was an ad hoc thing that the lads did on the day.

The beret was placed in with his ashes and is with him now for eternity.

Some Green Jackets have the RGJ flag on the coffin as an alternative to the Union Jack.

As far as I’m aware, those kind of arrangements for former servicemen and women are commonplace if they want them.

Anything requiring something more official than that kind of stuff or asking for more formal assistance from the army, RBL or a regimental Association would obviously need to be some form of formal request which may be granted or declined.

Last edited:
If you want military pall bearers you might need to pay for their expenses. The MOD will not cough for their transport or accommodation (if needed). The unit also need to allow them the time off work. If it's local you might be lucky if it isn't, you will probably be out of luck.

I am not on FB so could I have the initials please?

shaka

Old-Salt
It's the Royal Welsh these days. You could try them, or the RRW association. I'll try and get a link.
The RHQ of the Royal Welsh and the Royal Regiment of Wales (RRW) are aware of the sad passing of the man who is highly respected by all who knew him in the RRW. We await full details of the funeral etc but it is my understanding Regimental flag and pall bearers would be available if requested but not a firing party.

Latest Threads