Military Fundraising, Where is Your Money Going?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by CharlieFox, Mar 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has been done to death, but not as far as some (including me) would like, on many other charity threads.

The fact is that, like it or not, charity is now an industry, vast numbers of employees, huge salaries at the top and a whole host of hanger on companies doing fund raising etc., 2.50 for a raffle ticket, 75% to the fund raising company. Jump out of plane, first 350 or whatever goes to company providing jump, only after that does the charity get anything.

Do they tell you this in BIG BLACK AND WHITE WRITING; of course not, why would they?

Some will tell you that without such activity the charity will get nothing and something is better than nothing; I am not convinced. People are being conned.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Having worked in the third sector myself I could not agree more, however big difference between absorbing necessary costs and fraudulently claiming to collect then pocketing the lot (so frequent still). Wasn't trying to drag over old ground, just a little shameless self promotion
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

What he said. It comes down to a pretty black and white decision. You either accept that a charity (particularly the big boys) have some heavy bills to meet, or you dont.

Where does the line lie between legit expenses in a good cause and a rip-off? I suppose that is a personal judgement call. But I'd agree on the need for greater transparency. If 20% of the money I give goes on legit admin, I'm OK with it. If it is 75%, I'm not.
  4. So long as you are not getting paid by a charity, I can live with your self promotion :)

It is a good article, the charity sector is, oddly, yet, to be targeted by HMRC but given the multi-billion's turn over, we cannot have too long to wait.
  5. I get the hump sometimes with the salaries paid due to the situation my SSAFA office is in....we have to raise about £3000 to operate it (phone line, internet, stationary etc) and we're in the sodding Army Welfare Building!!
  6. Take money to write independently and lose all objective credibility? **** no!

Wait.... now I realise why I am so skint
  7. SSAFA doesn't promote itself as much as it should. I didn't realise how much it did until I was injured.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blesma is a similar story, but then you would already know that. The good old ones have had the trees shaken by many of the new ones, many of the new ones do fantastic work and give much of the funds raised to the old ones.

But a good read on the Charities Commission published accounts of salaries, admin costs and fundraising costs is, frankly, deeply, depressing. Not much charity in many of our charities but an awful lot of self employment and family employment.
  9. You're not wrong there Dingerr.....they're looking at rebranding the name etc to make it more in the public eye so to speak.
    When I say SSAFA to people they haven't got the foggiest who I'm on about and it's probably the oldest Service charity out there (127 years now).
  10. Ask the average man in the street about Forces Charities and the chances are that they will only know H4H, who have played a blinder at the advertising game. Just about everyone has a car sticker or a wristband. Maybe if SSAFA were a bit more in your face they may get noticed, but you're absolutely right in saying that they are very quiet about their existence. Maybe one of the Geordie's can correct my version of the northern expression that 'The shy bairn doesn't get any sweets'.
  11. They've realised that they were left standing by H4H and are now looking at how to redress the balance a touch....they do two totally seperate things though.
  12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They tried that when SSAFA combined with the Forces Help Society. The hope from on high was people would shorten SSAFA-Forces Help to Forces Help but as we know SSAFA has stuck.
    The same could be said of the ABF, how many call it The Soldier's Charity?
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I did a back of the envelope calc the other day.
    For SSAFA the PR & Fundraising Depts need to raise 3/4 of a million just to fund themselves.
    & I haven't got a clue what they do except not answer the phone.

14. A-men to that Brother!!