Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Tom79, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am wanting to join as (and just cant decide) if to go for Military Engineer (Electrician) or maybe...... something like Electronics Tech (which correct me if im wrong, is more specialized in 1 field, like on aircraft or artillery)

I have read a great thread posed here asking some questions about Electronics Tech and that they get upto but wanted to do the same for Military Engineer (Electrician)

Correct me if I am wrong, but a Military Engineer (Electrician) is more installation work isn’t it. I was training towards my C&G 2330 till I had to stop but I did enjoy this and want to continue in a role like this but in the Army… obviously :D

So… like the other thread, can I ask a few questions?

1) What sort of stuff do you get upto? is it varied? whats your average week if in the UK when not on ops
    2) Do you think you will be setup with some good experience that you can take if you ever leave the army (how relevant is the stuff you learn to what jobs you might get offered back if you leave?)
    3) Are you an all round sparky or do you specialize in a main area?
    4) what was Phase 2 like?
    5) how was pay after Phase 2?
    6) on operations what do you get upto?

Maybe if you think there is anything else you could tell me that would be great..

Maybe I should ask the career advisor this, but I thought hey… you do the job so why not ask you!

tnx in advance for your time...
  2. Best thing to do is a quick search, and you will find loads of advice. This question gets asked at least once a week.
  3. Sorry maybe I should have asked about th 1.5 mile run or something :D :D

Well HurrahfortheRA, there is some scattered info but alot of the info seems to be very general. I was kind of trying to get a little more info if poss. Ill keep hunting and if I find all the info ill post here to save someone the time...
  4. Tell you what you cocky tw@t.

There are hundreds of post with answers to every question you asked, I just tried to help you on your way, taking that attitude on here won't get you anywhere.

There is precise answers if you get stuck ask a bigger boy to help you type electrician into the search.
  5. Cocky tw@t? didnt mean i to come across that way more.. light humor.. relax :D

Ok ill run some search and hope I find what I am looking for,

thanks again
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Sensible replies please to a potential future member of the Corps.

Tom - Electrician in the Corps is allied to the building/construction side of the trade. Other Service electrical trades are (as you indicate) closer to electronics and servicing of equipment/vehicles. But also a significant difference is that the RE are dual traded combat/artisan. So you are not working "at trade" all the time and so will have a more varied career.

Check out the links in the announcements section at the top of the Forum, and I suggest you try a look at life course to see what we do.
  7. Ok thanks for the info, I will have a look and a good read,

Thanks again
  8. Thats not sensible???????????????????? :? :? :? :? :?
  9. It was actually.. I found some very good info after a good few hours just going back through the pages. I was maybe a bit taken back to start by all the information and so jumped the gun with asking.

Lots of good stuff, RE is what i am after, lots of challenges and get to be more in the thick of it all, and learn a trade.

Maybe im running before I can walk, I have not even done my BARB yet, just want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I start the ball rolling and im pretty sure I am as I want to learn a trade that will set me up in the future and also want to have a varied career.

Ill keep going through the posts and if I have some less... already asked questions ill maybe ask

10. Of all the Corps and Regiments you could confuse the RE with, the fcuking Gunners is the one you really don't want to choose!

In case you didn't know Tom, 'friendly' rivalry between the Sappers and the Gunners goes back over 300 years and we have a common heritage in the Board of Ordnance - traces of which can still be seen today in our sharing of the 'flaming grenade' badge and the motto 'Ubique'. The difference is that in our case 'ubique' means 'everywhere' whilst in theirs it means 'all over the fcuking place'!

41-3 :wink:
  11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

That is.

This isn't:

12. I thought it was the best response to being quoted as HurrahfortheRA.

He knows what he's doing.
  13. i think between myself & others on this forum we have answered just about every potential question there is regarding being an electrician within the corps.

as stated do a search for electrican within the sappers forum & you'll be surprised what you find.