Pebble

Swinger
Hi
Can anyone please give advice on this role plse my son just passed his selection up in scotland and has been offered this position as they say he is colour blind even tho the optitians say he isnt so cant be a sparky or fitter .. will he find it exciting or just plane boring will he be out in the field or stuck in a tent or office or where could he end up ?
What job in the engineers is good and a good career to help in the future

Be greatfull for replies

Well I managed nearly 40 years in that role (though it was called Combat Signaller RE when I joined). It has allowed me to transition to a reasonably well paid job in the defence industry. You can still go off and do some badge collecting once you're in (Cdo, Para or diving), I also did a fair bit of combat engineering, it really depends on where you end up posted after training. The trade itself is really what you make of it, radio communications, IT. I enjoyed it, worked at every level from troop to corps headquarters. I was also colour blind (CP3), if your son really is borderline get a lantern test done, rather than the paper/dots thing, he might get a better colour perception rating that will open up other trade opportunities. Good luck. Once a sapper always a sapper - Ubique!

In terms of other jobs in the RE that are good. One is being a geotech. There's a growing demand for GIS in the civvie word and its only going to get bigger. However, I suspect being colour blind may be an issue for being a Geotech.

Pebble

Swinger
Thanks mate
Might sound a daft question but when hes fininished his phase 1 n 2 you said depends where he is posted where could this be ? What will be his daily duties after 1 n 2 ... he wont be just stuck in a tent or an office will he ? Will he be out and about doing stuff as in the combat stuff .
Im a bit confused regards the combat side and the trade side if you no what i mean

Thanks

Thanks mate
Might sound a daft question but when hes fininished his phase 1 n 2 you said depends where he is posted where could this be ? What will be his daily duties after 1 n 2 ... he wont be just stuck in a tent or an office will he ? Will he be out and about doing stuff as in the combat stuff .
Im a bit confused regards the combat side and the trade side if you no what i mean

Thanks
It depends what the unit he is posted to is doing when he gets there, at what point in the operational cycle (or whatever they call it now - been out two years). Could be deployed, could be preparing to be deployed, just got back from deployment etc. Will also depend on what role the unit has: light, mechanised, armoured etc. In barracks life will be in an office, hangar, shed or store regardless of trade.

'Combat stuff' - FFS this isn't Call of Duty - be careful you wish for!

And again it depends on what's required, you might operate in trade or out of it, and regardless of trade you could end up doing something else, Combat engineering, search etc or just filling sandbags on flood relief!

As for C3S, you'll almost always end up being a HQ somewhere, that could be under a poncho, in a tent, a vehicle, or a building of opportunity but as you're dealing with communications you'll at least have some idea what's going on. Unlike most other trades, on exercise you will at least be doing your trade for real. Trust me; sticking plasticine and washing line (imitation explosives) to things, or crawling around in freezing mud, in the dark laying or lifting drill mines, or building a bridge (just to strip it out later) in all weathers soon loses its appeal.

If being at the sharp end is really what you want; volunteer for Para or Commando training, but that takes fitness and determination.

Whatever you do, it isn't all excitement and 'combat stuff', the majority of your time in the army will be mundane and routine. It's all about the lifestyle, your mates and what YOU make of whatever opportunities present themselves.

Pebble

Swinger
Thanks mate

Wasnt been funny with the question its just most of the stuff ive read dont speak highley of the role basicaly say its shit ..not sure if he got forced into saying yes to it because not alot apply for it or summat .
Its just he starts in a few week at harrogate so needs to make his mind up sharpish if he decides to change he going back to careers office monday morning .
I want him to enjoy what he does and not regret it .
I can only ask questions for him and take the replies into concideration .

Thanks

Pebble

Swinger
He wanted to be an electrician and was on a course at collage for it .. untill they found out he was thinking of joining the army where they then said you will have to leave due to this ..unbelievable!!
So army it is ... o ly to be told by them he was colour blind twice lol ... ive had him to the optitians and they say he ok and isnt ... he passed tests on net also ... but again army say he cant be a sparky i dont believe them to be honest

Anonzo

Swinger
Maybe royal engineers wasn't the choice your son should have gone down if he wants to be in the field all the time then he should have chosen infantry to be honest, also if people's opinions are gonna change what he thinks of doing then you / he shouldn't choose it as it is all down to the person not a bunch of posts and comments. If your son does not know much about the combat engineering side then he needs to do more revision on the role, any questions feel free to ask

Anonzo

Swinger
Also nobody gsts forced into a Job role, barb test and TST test play a big role in what jobs are open and what are not, maybe your son didn't achieve a high enough score to open more trades / roles

Anonzo

Swinger
Royal engineers have there own comms pal, ( royal engineers have the 3 in 1, soldier, combat engineer and trade) that appealed to me more to be honest. Bit of everything plus more qualifications. I can understand that someone who loves comms would go signals however the engineering side appealed to me a lot

Matt638

Old-Salt
Not a RE but gow much Combat Engineering do u do as signaller.....as I thought you be doing that most of the time instead of Combat Engineering...

Anonzo

Swinger
I'm not in yet I start soon, however from what I've read it's all down to your posting and unit, I've read in many places that after a while your trade will become a distant memory depending on how much it's used - comms is used a lot apparently, also it's not like you become a signaller and then never do combat engineering apparently it can vary alot

Anonzo

Swinger
Also the fact that you can attempt to become EOD (bomb disposal) para, commando or diver is good, this can be selected at the end of trade training so your career can take a whole new turn if you want it to, I am planning of going down the para or bomb disposal side after trade training to basically continue my career and go as far as I can, I'm not looking to leave the army I want to achieve as much as I can

Last edited:

X59

LE
Also the fact that you can attempt to become EOD (bomb disposal) para, commando or diver is good, this can be selected at the end of trade training so your career can take a whole new turn if you want it to, I am planning of going down the para or bomb disposal side after trade training to basically continue my career and go as far as I can, I'm not looking to leave the army I want to achieve as much as I can
Edited for reality check.

Not being funny - is this you worrying about your lad, or has he expressed reservations?

As others have said, with the RE a lot depends on the posting. I'm O&B but, even back then, the posting made a difference. As a CE1 and Sparky with driver & Radio Op training, EPC SNCO + my A Level maths (done during my Spark's course) and some excellent postings, Tidworth was a bollox and the main reason I left.

You get what the Army gives you. but I can highly recommend the CRE as a way to go for qualifications and, more importantly, comradeship (still meet up with friends from aeons ago and we have help & job groups going on). As above - once a Sapper, always a Sapper :)

There are a good few accounts of Sappers in the thick of it, but if your son really wants "front line action" all the way, go Inf. or the like - for as long as we have Ops.

Pebble

Swinger
Hi thanks for replies !
He having to forget about been a sparky got over 50 in his barb test and fitness is really good but hes ended up cp3 colourblind we can apeal this as opticians say hes ok ! But he been out of school now for nearly a year and the collage kicking him out was Unbeliavable just cos they found out he wantee to join the army .
So now been cp3 only a few roles open up such as bricky driver ect and some of the roles are full as he going to harrogate in a few week . They said when leaving selection you have to pick a job either of the above or communications eng so he picked the latter not really knowing anything about it !
I told him look there are 200 roles in the army not all for you ! So off he went back to the careers office as he was intrested in RA un maned pilet / gunner or observer to be told he would have to do all his medical again ! Which upon talking to his recruiting man is not the correct info and can change if required the carreers office also told him the communications engieer was a job in the office to which he didnt want to be doing all the time ... which again the recruitment man said is not correct ! So what does a IT systems operator communications RE bloke do ? We hear he does his combat stuff occasionally but what else is he in the field ? Cant really find any info on it apart from odd threads saying it not good get a proper job lol

Please reply

Anonzo

Swinger
being straight forward with this is that you do 10 weeks c3s training in which you learn To operate, set up, and maintain communications, you use digital and voice data and many other things that come with the Job, you may have seen some negative comments about it and like you I was starting to get put of the Job role, I was starting to have doubts basically but as I read and saw more comments I saw a lot more people saying they enjoyed it and liked it, you have to understand he's only training to be a c3s for 10 weeks.. 2 months and 2 weeks that's really not alot of time and after he's finished he will guarantee have a lot of qualifications and also be able to further his army career, he can apply to attempt to be in bomb disposal, become a paratrooper, a commando or even a diver, your life doesn't end when you finish trade training there are many opportunities to do other things, if your son is starting Harrogate I guess he's 16 ? He's still young lol, you have to understand Harrogate is a long courseee, plus with combat engineering training he has a long time before he even starts c3s training when I was younger I wanted to just run around and shoot people in the army but as I got older I realised I'd rather much have a trade and a skill set within the army then just be on the field all the time and then leave after 6 years with not much under my belt, best thing I could tell you is stop worrying so much about the trade and get through training first, I start training in march and I'm sticking with C3s, the few people I have seen who talk badly about it are people that really didn't get there heads down in the army, and didn't even try to further there army progress, there are many civvy jobs within communications Viaa working in defence or even with the government, don't think that once your son is in c3s who won't ever be in the field cause he will be, he's young focus on training first mate,

Any questions feel free to ask
Cheers

Last edited:

chimera

LE

Latest Threads