MILITARY ENGINEER COMMUNICATIONS?help

just need bigger hands nowadays as a "Norman" to be able to count quilts rather than blankets. ^^

LT I'm a signaller and out here at the mo. Most my troop less the staff sergeant (who's stuck doing a Lance Corporals job in the stores in Bastion) and one Corporal who's running the ops room the rest of the signallers are attached to troops as extra combat engineer bod's. The comm's are mainly set up in the vehicles and once set up just work.
When there's the occasional problem you get called in to fix it but other than that the troop staff sergeant operates the net himself.

As for how much action you'll see - you'll see your fair share working as a combat engineer with any regiment in the Corps, the insurgents don't like us building things and try to stop us at every opportunity. You may see slightly less in the future when serving with 23 or 24 Engr Regt though so if you want to get shot at once you've got your badge try and get to one of the close support regiments.

LT I'm a signaller and out here at the mo. Most my troop less the staff sergeant (who's stuck doing a Lance Corporals job in the stores in Bastion) and one Corporal who's running the ops room the rest of the signallers are attached to troops as extra combat engineer bod's. The comm's are mainly set up in the vehicles and once set up just work.
When there's the occasional problem you get called in to fix it but other than that the troop staff sergeant operates the net himself.

As for how much action you'll see - you'll see your fair share working as a combat engineer with any regiment in the Corps, the insurgents don't like us building things and try to stop us at every opportunity. You may see slightly less in the future when serving with 23 or 24 Engr Regt though so if you want to get shot at once you've got your badge try and get to one of the close support regiments.
well that will be something i never encountered in 23+ years B_G.

Thanks baby_g. So what your saying is the higher trained( in soildering atleast) troops of 23 and 24 see less action than those with only "basic" solidering training? Why is that. I want to join 59 sqn, but if it means i'll be taking a backseat it kind of defies the point. Can you shed some more light on this, thanks

No, 23 and 24 are complete dog toffee at construction that's why! They spend far too much time concentrating on infantry stuff and seem to forget they are Royal Engineers, not glorified pioneers.

I may as well jump into this thread.

Would I get to choose what engineer regiment I'd get posted too.. or is it complete lottery? I don't really have a preference tbh

I may as well jump into this thread.

Would I get to choose what engineer regiment I'd get posted too.. or is it complete lottery? I don't really have a preference tbh
You can submit 3 posting preferences but will ultimately get sent where the Corps needs you - any relation to your preferences is purely coincidental!

When you are at Gib Garracks you can ask for UK south, UK north or Germany. Whether you get your prefered option is in the hands of records. A lot depends on your trade and where it is needed. When a unit is about to go on tour it "should" be at full strength so loads of people get posted there. The only way to be sure of getting a definate posting is volunteering and then passing either P-Coy for 23 at Woodbridge or AACC for 24 at Barnstaple.

Thanks.

How long is spent at each posting? Also this is a daft question, but is this classed as your "home" address for things like driving license and that?

Thanks.

How long is spent at each posting? Also this is a daft question, but is this classed as your "home" address for things like driving license and that?
i never changed my driving licence address until i bought my own house as it would have meant changing the address on it every 3-5 years otherwise.

I would put your address on your license as your parents (until you get a place of your own) because that way if you get any points they get sent straight to the Army and depending on what your management are like you could get AGAI'd for it.

I am CIS stream and up until recently i loved it.

You get the opportunity to do all the knockering you like and then some, you can get some cracking jobs on tour and even back in camp if lucky, but you will mainly be doing serial number checks , vehicle maintenance.

But when you reach the dizzying height of full screw stand by for long long hours in the office, taking work home in the evening and working a lot of weekends. But you get to watch all the knockers knock off early and go play football or whatever, but to balance it all out you move to the lower pay band so you get paid about 3 grand a year less.

enjoy

Sorry gone all lemon curly wurly there, i do love the trade and the opportunities it has given me over the years. I have got to play with warriors and other bits of armour, done the whole air assault thing, less P-Coy i got broken, and have had some really interesting tours. Seen and heard more of whats going on wherever i have been and there is a posting in every regiment just about for signalers so there is always a different challenge on the next posting.