MILITARY ENGINEER COMMUNICATIONS?help

so im currently going through the long drawn out process of enlisting and im at the stage of getting my job choices, I know all 3 will be engineers and currently im thinking systems engineer,POM,fridge and ac or fitter general. I was just wondering if there are any systems engineers lurking that would like to give me there opinion,is it a good career path, possible qualifications day to day work etc and everyone else's opinion to. I don't have a clue what i should pick.

Sigs is not a great trade to do, I don't know many signallers who say they really like their job. POM and Fitter Gen are good trades to have as you will tend to use them more frequently. HVAC is a good qual but unfortuantly they don't use their trade that much.

knocker i searched and seen the other threads,you were just as helpful in them to.
plant life that's what i was thinking fitter general and pom seem to be the better choices but i still seem drawn to systems as the training would interest me more so i suppose my next question is what's day to day life like for a systems engineer? is it all sitting a land rover drinking tea? If it is im screwed, i dont even like tea :(

Day to day life for a signaller (when the feck did it because systems engineer?) is filled with checking miles of cables and parts in vehicles. On ops you may be stuck in an ops room manning a radio or you may be out on the ground providing direct comms support (in other words lugging a fecking heavy radio about on your back).

Like I said, there aren't that many signallers out there who say they really like their job.

By the way, Knocker has just got out after 22 years service so does know what he is on about.

The amount of trade v combat engineering depends on how the OC wants his/her signallers employed. Some like the sigs embedded within the troops, others prefer them kept in the sigs troop.

it still a TONK trade & not a great deal of use in civ div at the minute (market flooded at the minute i have been told), as stated previously by others not many scallies enjoy their trade.

join the signals then....if the engineers are giving you duff trades
im just doing my b3 course though and i ******* love it

dont go armoured you'l be stuck a year waiting for your course to start

I don't often post on here (as my post count shows) but sometimes you cannot just sit back and say nothing when inaccurate comment is given – in particular about my trade.

I joined the Corps 30 odd years ago as a Combat Engineer, but was persuaded (whilst at Southwood Camp) to attend a Radio User course at the Signal Wing (then at the RSME, Chattenden) – with the bribe of getting my driving licence first, which I duly did at 56 MT. The rest as they say is history and I progressed through various courses and promotion to become QMSI Sigs at the CIS Wing at Gibraltar Barracks, some years ago now, before moving on to play on the Bowman project (but that's another story!

Lets face it, anyone can be a knocker, even me! I can say that with some justification as I came top of my Class 1 at CETC Hameln, and while you can do their job, they will struggle to do yours.

Why did I stay with Comms; because I enjoyed it (and I would like to think most of those who worked with, or for me through the years enjoyed it too). It was always challenging, requires a certain amount of initiative (as do most RE trades) and unlike knockering you always do your job for real, whether it is on exercise or operations, communications are required (I could never get excited about sticking bits of plasticine on bridges!).

It is sometimes boring (but so is any trade), but you know what is going on and why (because you have access to that information), and it's usually (but not always) more comfortable than the field troops, but if you are deployed with them, its going to be you lugging the radio!

As a Signaller (MEC3S) you are in the public eye, management at whatever level look to you to provide communications, when you do, no problem (but you are then taken for granted), if you don't or worse you f%$k up, then every one knows about it – so it can be good and bad for your chances of advancement – that's down to you.

Above all you will still get the opportunity to do other things, including Cbt Engr or as someone else pointed out; basic infantry soldiering (so be careful what you wish for). You will get to use IT and other technical bits of kit (and be asked for fix almost anything remotely electronic!). You will also get the opportunity to gain numerous qualifications that will assist you in finding gainful employment when you finally leave.

Bottom line; whether it's called MEC3S or Cbt Sig RE it has always been undermanned, so you will be pushed (assuming you have the aptitude) it that direction, they have places to fill. As a trade it has it's good points and bad, engineering is our core business so it will always have a higher profile, much of the rest is really banter between different strands of the Corps – the main point is that you will be a sapper, and that's all that really matters.

P.S. The Scaley bit comes from the mists of time (before I even joined) when signallers got paid a particular rate, Scale E, or so it says in the R SIGNALS museum.

I'm Sigs.

There are good and bad things about it. You will tend to do your trade more than others, and artisan trades tend to put into a combat engineer troop. Life on camp with be maintaining the sigs equipment, serial number checks. On tour, you will be an ops room signaller or field signaller. It's not that bad being in an ops room, you will work with seniors and officers, so you can get noticed, although, that can equally work against you. On Herrick 7, the signallers out on the ground weren't really lugging the radio on there backs, as the fieldies were mainly building fobs, so it was just a case off reporting the days work. Although the sappers often went out in combat pairs to support inf, but, that wouldn't require an Engineer net, so you were just another bod. However on exercises, you will be carrying the radio in your section. At least when you're a sapper.

When you're attached to a section, and your the only signaller, don't expect many people to know the basics of the radio, so you have to know the radio's inside out and what to do if it goes down.

In Afghanistan the engr net isn't anything 'exciting', you won't be calling in contacts, casevacs or close/fast air. The infantry nets are the main link to all that.

If you can get a decent trade, then apply for that. I'd choose signals over Driver or RES SPEC, personally.