MIlitary E-mail Etiquette

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by STREetwise, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the increased use of the e-mail as a form of communication, I am questioning what is the correct form of title to those who would address in conversation as "Sir"

My view, if you know the recipient, is to refer to him/her by name eg Major Bloggs". If you e-mail is addressed to more than one individual you should use the fomat "Gentlemen" or on occasions of informality "Gents"

However I am increasingly seeing e-mails addressed to "Sirs" or even worse "Sir's". I believe this to be wrong.

I have also seen e-mails addressed to "Sirs, Gentlemen", presumably to differentiate between those of senior rank to the writer and those of junior or equal rank.

Presumably this would would lead to "Mesdames, Sirs, Ladies and Gentlemen" if addressing recipients of both sexes!
  2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Doesn't JSP 101 cover this off?

Personally, there is nothing wrong with demonstrating deference of rank in e-mails where appropriate:

An example,

Brigadier, Colonel & Gentlemen,

I am pleased to inform you that we raised over £1m for Help for Heroes during the naked ARRSE crawl in Upper Snodsbury. Thank you all for your support and aspire to organise a similar event for later this year....

This would suggest that a Major or Captain wrote the note and was deferring to his seniors and remaining polite to his peers and juniors. Perfectly acceptable as good manners are involved. Just my thoughts.
  3. Fcuk me STREetwise, do the nights fly by in your house? :wink:
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Gentlemen, as I assume you all are,

This could be a very tedious thread.

Bertie Fart-Blast
    HQ Air Thing
    ... possibly
  5. Do e mails have to be in a certain font and size ?
  6. As far as I'm concerned emails are an informal method of communication. If there are several addressees of varying ranks I find a 'Sirs, Gents' works well enough. (I haven't been picked up for it anyway :) )
  7. hi
    cnt do ths wknd. btr lk nxt tym.

Or however it goes...

Actually, I'll throw an addition into the system. For my OC, I use "Boss," as a salutation. More remote superiors get "Sir," though one day I'll probably make a Freudian slip and spell it "C-U-R" :)
  8. blue-sophist

Just legible ... :wink:
  9. Personally I do the Sirs/Gents thing to fellow seniors and rank/name to JNCOs etc however
    I see a crab air SNCO addressed my boss as Major XXXXX

Necky Twats
  10. blue-sophist

It is, of course, easier to just ignore the salutation and just get on with what you're trying to say.

It's an email, not a forking letter ...

Could we consider that option? ;-)
  11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My thoughts - and actions - exactly. I neer address them in any way. I start by saying what I want say, then just end.

Otherwise to much farting about.
  12. I find the general salutation of

Uoh mother feckers ensures I stay with my peers
  13. 'Gents' - thats the feckin toilet!

I hate anything being started with 'Gents', lazy thats all it is, lazy.

Rant over.
  14. My bold - "gents is where one goes for a piss machiavelli - not a form of address" - Commanding officer to mach as a young staff officer
  15. don't know how appropriate it would be to put kisses in an email at work.