Military doctor shortage warning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Continues...

3. When most of them are TA , it also effects the NHS, and the New Labour wonkers have known about it for years. Both 144 Para and 203 Hosp are almost all NHS workers in there civvi life

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

And where else would they come from especially if the are TA?

5. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

DCS 15 that decimated the medical services was written under a Conservative Govt and being TA doesn't make any difference as all our regulars work in the NHS as well. Besides, what about the rest of the AMS TA? Why single out 144 and 203? Might be best to stay away from the 'outraged' button on your keyboard.

6. Labour have had a while to correct that. Operational commitment was a tad less when those cuts happened too. Mind you I still thought it was a bad idea to cut back on military medical facilities.

7. Isn't there a foreign Field Hospital at Bastion at the moment? I'm sure I heard something about them training up at Strensall.

8. It is very difficult to recruit medical personnel at the moment, not just regular, but also TA.

Following Telic there were many TA doctors who, when they joined the TA, had never imagined that they would ever have to actually go somewhere. As a result, they left as soon as they got home.

There were also 'doctors in training' who were treated badly by the Trusts for which they were working. I know of at least one surgeon who was forced to repeat one of her training years because she was deployed on Telic just before finishing that training year. As a result of this, the AMS lost a very good trauma surgeon.

The other problem is one of PR. Many Doctors with whom I have spoken are concerned that if they join the Forces, particularly reserves, then they will find themselves in Afghanistan and being shot at within weeks of joining and reassuring them that this is not the case doesn't seem to be working.

9. I only singled out these units as they are my local units, and I know a number of members.
    In 2007 the MOD said there were 2,810 total personnel in the RAMC there should have been 3,270 but they would not give a break down of these figures, as to how many doctors there where in service at that time,but they did say that of the number 1,620 where CMT and 470 MA(gd)

10. A danish bunch are taking over this year. Not sure when.

11. Confirmed this morning on BBC Radio 5Live by BMA's Military Committee Chairman. The basic gist behind his comments was that while there is significant gapping in the DMS, the use of Reservists and coalition partners means that this has not affected the care to troops in theatre, no mention of effects on care of troops in the UK.

The use of reservists is actually pretty clever and has produced some excellent results, as confirmed in the Healthcare Commission's recent report, but you can't help but feel we should be providing a UK Field Hospital rather than relying on the Danes, however good they may be...

e_v

12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

What is this mysterious MA of which you speak?

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

There will be some Danish staff in the Fd Hosp at Bastion, but the hospital will continue to be run by UK Med Gp, which will also provide most of the staff.

There were Dutch med staff in the Fd Hosp on Ex Saif Sareea, and Czech staff in several Telic hospitals. It's nothing new.