Military Discipline and Import Duty on Duty free goods for Military Personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted 159984

Hi all,

First of all I wanted to say that I am a civilian with no ties and little knowledge of the Armed Forces or associated personnel. I would however like to take this opportunity to clarify that I have the upmost, massive respect and admiration for those that make huge sacrifices to keep us all safe.
However I would like to add that unfortunately there are a few rogue members who seek to denigrate the reputation of the services which is what leads me here.

I was wondering if Armed Forces personnel are exempt from UK duty on import into the UK from various EU and non-EU countries? So if for example a officer whilst on deployment at X country brought back thousands of cigarettes which he/she then sold online would he/she have to declare these and would this be allowed under Immigration/customs law/UK and Military law? The person is a UK citizen.

Additionally if a member of the Armed Forces was dishonest regarding deployment dates and/or locations to a person in an official capacity to get her/ himself out of a 'sticky' situation, how would this be viewed?

Finally I would like to know about conduct to a civilian outside of work? If the officer was disrespectful, threatening etc to a civilian and committed a [reasonably minor] crime in UK law and received a warning from the Police, what would be the consequences?

For clarification purposes I would like to add that I am not 'out to get' this person or seeking revenge, but I do believe in consequences. The person has gone against all of the core principles of integrity, respect for others, honesty etc and has behaved very badly. Through the correct channels and utilising the correct avenues and recourse, I intend to ensure he/she the feel the appropriate consequences as every citizen should whether Armed forces personnel or not.

Hi all,

For clarification purposes I would like to add that I am not 'out to get' this person or seeking revenge, but I do believe in consequences. The person has gone against all of the core principles of integrity, respect for others, honesty etc and has behaved very badly. Through the correct channels and utilising the correct avenues and recourse, I intend to ensure he/she the feel the appropriate consequences as every citizen should whether Armed forces personnel or not.
I see, just a sniveling little weasel then.

Hi all,

First of all I wanted to say that I am a civilian with no ties and little knowledge of the Armed Forces or associated personnel. I would however like to take this opportunity to clarify that I have the upmost, massive respect and admiration for those that make huge sacrifices to keep us all safe.
However I would like to add that unfortunately there are a few rogue members who seek to denigrate the reputation of the services which is what leads me here.

I was wondering if Armed Forces personnel are exempt from UK duty on import into the UK from various EU and non-EU countries? So if for example a officer whilst on deployment at X country brought back thousands of cigarettes which he/she then sold online would he/she have to declare these and would this be allowed under Immigration/customs law/UK and Military law? The person is a UK citizen.

Additionally if a member of the Armed Forces was dishonest regarding deployment dates and/or locations to a person in an official capacity to get her/ himself out of a 'sticky' situation, how would this be viewed?

Finally I would like to know about conduct to a civilian outside of work? If the officer was disrespectful, threatening etc to a civilian and committed a [reasonably minor] crime in UK law and received a warning from the Police, what would be the consequences?

We have the same civvie rules as everyone else. We also have additional military rules. You used to be able to post 50 taxed cigarettes back in the BFPO system but thanks to a bellend officer kicking the arse out of it we cant even do that any more

Its 200 tabs and a bottle of the hard stuff. Anything else and we face the same sanctions as Joe Public.

As for deployment dates it would depend on who the person was that he was dishonest with, if it the old bill he can consider himself ready for a dry bumming, if its the local park warden he can spin any yarn he likes.

Anyone can be disrespectful, its not illegal although it is frowned upon, using threatening behaviour is legally just the same as a civvie doing it.

Sounds like a right amateur to get caught with thousands of cigarettes though.

Members of UK armed forces are subject to the same laws as anyone else.

If you feel someone has committed a crime speak to the Police, alternatively in the situation you are alluding to speak to HMRC.

So you're out to get him then.

If you're that bothered, report it to your local RMP station, or HMRC. Take any evidence you have.

I am not 'out to get' this person or seeking revenge, but I do believe in consequences.
Make up your mind sunshine...

I intend to ensure he/she the feel the appropriate consequences as every citizen should whether Armed forces personnel or not.
... and then fcuk off and take your snivelling with you.

So you're out to get him then.

If you're that bothered, report it to your local RMP station, or HMRC. Take any evidence you have.
**** that, go to the civvie cozzers, the RMP can't catch a cold in winter.

D

Deleted 159984

NO I am not out to get the person. If you were aware of the full circumstances, you would be as aggrieved as I am and would also be wishing consequence on the person. He/she is NOT a good, honest officer and will NOT have your back when needed.

In combat or a 'situation' that any of you may have to face, do you want to be alongside someone who acts with integrity, respect and professionalism or someone who lies, deceives and threatens? I know which I would prefer.

@Tappet What is RMP please?
He/she was dishonest to a official person in an official capacity.

Thank you to those that have posted, you have been very helpful.

Is it an ex per chance, or you just have an axe to grind? Or are you trying to get enough info to blackmail them to give you a better cut? A truly conscientious person wouldn’t be asking questions on websites such as this, they’d go to the authorities without question. Nice to see weasels can write though.....

Hi all,

Why should you give a sh*t anyway... is this certain person your obviously trying to do one up on shagging your missus on the side?

NO I am not out to get the person. If you were aware of the full circumstances, you would be as aggrieved as I am and would also be wishing consequence on the person. He/she is NOT a good, honest officer and will NOT have your back when needed.

In combat or a 'situation' that any of you may have to face, do you want to be alongside someone who acts with integrity, respect and professionalism or someone who lies, deceives and threatens? I know which I would prefer.

So he IS shagging your missus than

The RMP are the Royal Military Police, **** them, they are useless, go straight to the civvie police.
Nail the ****** to the wall.

Is it an ex per chance, or you just have an axe to grind? Or are you trying to get enough info to blackmail them to give you a better cut? A truly conscientious person wouldn’t be asking questions on websites such as this, they’d go to the authorities without question. Nice to see backstabbing weasels can write though.....
Slight edit.

Not only are we exempt from paying tax on booze and fags, we also get to put babies on spikes (c) Eddie izzard/Claire Balding (can't tell those two apart anymore) and start fights while blaming it on PTSD for tours we haven't even been on.

But don't tell anyone, as the space lizards don't want the sheeple to know

Hi all,

Whats it got to do with you? Mind your own business.

In combat do i want to be alongside somebody who has smuggled some cigarettes with him? I can see somebody with these skills being quite a handy person to know to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads