Military Decision Making

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by hairymonster1006, Oct 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently tried, without success, to integrate the acronym WWCND (What would Chuck Norris do?) into the US Military Decision Making Process (MDMP). I think it could slip nicely into the 7 Qs format e.g. Has the situation changed and WWCND? Any further suggestions for the improvement of military decision making?
  2. Getting someone to actually take one would be progress in itself
  3. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
  4. Military Decision Making - A contradiction in Terms (just like Military Intelligence)
  5. erm, call me old fashioned, but i always thought MDMP meant military decision making and planning and was a process, hence should be MDMP process....oft mis-used and called military decision making process.....rather like PTI instructor, DS Staff, PIN number etc....

coat, taxi....ok
  6. I was taught that if all else fails, a sequence of three commands will suffice, viz:

* Two up and bags of smoke

* Fix bayonets and follow me

* Carry on sergeant

There is a great deal of value in this approach, I believe.
  7. GoonBde, I hope you are in a Taxi wearing your coat: the "P" does indeed stand for Process. But thank you anyway your contribution was of great value.
  8. msr

msr LE

Does this work for the Navy too?

Two destroyers up, bags of smoke and a frigate in reserve?

9. Im sorry but due to budget cuts we only have one destroyer and the frigate is in a state of long term rediness and wont be able to support you for six months. But dont worry those pirates you arrest will get REALY nice council houses paid with your taxes so carry on!!!

On a more serious note the term in the navy is "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
  10. Although WWCND is an entirely valid question in the modern MDMP, I'm afraid it won't pass muster these days mainly because it becomes the 'Eighth Q'. And no-one likes inflation.

The Canadian Army Operations Course, on the other hand, place great emphasis on a one-step process called "The Rectal Pluck" least the students do; I hear that the DS are none too keen, but there you go.
  11. When faced with a moral dilemma or a hard choice, I invariably ask "What would baby Jesus do?" I then do something unutterably evil or stupid instead.