Military Cross awards , WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by velcrostripes, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of a complete list of MC's awarded in WW2 ?
    I know there were 10,000 odd , but I cannot find any info on a particular one.
    Tried the London Gazette , but didn't have much luck there either.
    Any ideas ?

2. Velcro

I am in a similar situation, here is what I have done and my nexts steps.

Id the recipient including army number. I managed to find my relative via the gazette using his name and initials. It took a few goes, but if you try all the combos you should get the right bloke. Once you have an army number search the gazette using that. I then got all the entries for that number and did a trawl. I eventually got to a page with his number and a late entry after the war confirming his MC. I had to go back a few pages from his entry to find out what it was for as there were loads.

This takes you as far as the Gazette can take you. The next step is getting hold of service records from Glasgow. Not rtied yet, but you need permission from the NoK and a death cert to do it and £30. I am hoping that the service record will give the exact citation.

If any family Historians know a better way I am happy to listen.

3. Cheers Yeoman , I'll persist with the Gazette in the first instance.

4. Have you tried the National Archive?
    Go to the search page and try just putting the Service Number in, if it turns up more than a couple of responses you can then narrow it down. If you get nothing then try Name and Unit etc.
    The NA might have the full set of documentation ref the award or nothing at all, you can never tell till you try.
    You could also search for the unit war diary for the period covering the action that saw the award, Quite often the CO will have put an entry in there about it.
    If you need any further help or assistance let me know always happy to help.

5. Or you could ask here British Medals Forum • Information

You will need to set up an account, though. Several members have generated their own award databases: that, or they can point you to Regimental/Corps histories that may help.

6. Just noticed your post. I have the service records for a friends father who won the Military Cross. But there is no mention of him winning the medal--- there no mention of his time as a P.O.W. in Germany in WW2--and this is an officer who retired as a Brigadier!
    I have tried the Gazette without very much success, but will try again after seeing your post.

Thank you for the information.

Jamie

7. Good post, hopefully not to obvious but you do not need a Death Cert if he was KIA but still need to prove NOK permission.

Service records do not normally have the citation, some do , some don't. The SPVA makes it clear in the application process that Service Records may be less useful than many hope, some are a goldmine, others are spartan to say the least!

The Gazette is still best source for the citation but can be a trawl to get to it.

Good luck!

8. There is a complete list (near as) in a book called The Military Cross 1937-1993 by Lt Col R M Kamatyc.

That said I have copies of all the original citations available at the National Archives for all gallantry awards in WW2. If anyone needs some one looking up drop me a message.

9. Thank you for your kind offer.

The officer who's MC I have been asked to trace is as follows.

Brigadier Colin John Russell Yeo. M.C. Royal Artillery.
    Service number 64504.
    Date of birth 16.05.1915.
    Died 29.01.2004.
    I think the action that he was awarded the medal for was in Saint-Valery area, France 1939, where later he was ordered to surrender to the German army. He spent 5 years as a P.O.W.
    Please contact me if you require any more details.

Jamie

10. Hi Jamie - I'm just about to go to work so I'll need to do some proper digging tomorrow. Can you confirm if his last name is Russell or Yeo?

Do you know for sure he was awarded a gallantry medal of some description ? I only ask as Brigs normally get DSO's rather than MCs.

11. His surname is Yeo. He got the award before he was ever a Brigadier ...probably a Major or Captain at the time.
    Thank once again,
    Jamie

12. London Gazette 9 October 1945, Military Cross

Captain (temporary) Colin John Russell YEO (64509),
    Royal Regiment of Artillery (Harpenden, Herts.).

The London Gazette
    Publication date:
    9 October 1945
    Issue:
    Page:

It may be that as he was a POW award was made after release and citation lodged.

Suggest you contact Royal Artillery Archive, they would have details.

Googled his name and up it came!

Bit More:

Description:

NameYeo, Colin John Russell
    Service No:64509
    Regiment:Staff (Late Royal Artillery)
    Theatre of Combat or Operation:New Year Honours
    Award:Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
    Date of announcement in London Gazette:01 January 1962

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF
    THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD
    St. James's Palace, London S.W.I.
    The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to give
    orders for the following promotions in, and
    appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of
    the British Empire:
    To be Ordinary Knights Commanders of the
    Military Division of the said Most Excellent
    Order :

Colonel (local Brigadier) Colin John Russell YEO,
    M.C. (64509), late Royal Regiment of Artillery

The London Gazette
    Publication date:
    19 August 1975
    Issue:
    Page:

Brigadier Colin John Russell Yeo, O.B.E., M.C., of
    Wyck House, Wadhurst,
    to be Deputy Lieutenants for the county of East Sussex.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  13. Name:C J R Yeo
    Army Number:64509
    Regiment:Royal Artillery
    POW Number:1329
    Camp Type:Oflag
    Camp Number:VII-B
    Camp Location:Eichstätt, Bavaria

He may have got an escapers MC, post release, they tended not to have citations!

Camp history

The camp was built in September 1939 to house Polish prisoners from the German invasion of Poland. The first prisoners arrived there on 18 October 1939.

On 22 May 1940 all 1,336 Polish prisoners were transferred to Oflag VII-A Murnau, and were replaced with British, French and Belgian officers taken prisoner during the battle of France.

In the summer of 1941 Australians and New Zealanders captured in Greece and Crete during the Balkans Campaign arrived in the camp.

In Rommel's second offensive on Tobruk in June 1942, most of the South African 2nd Division was captured. Many of these soldiers were interned at Oflag VII-B.

On 31 August 1942 Canadian officers captured during the Dieppe Raid arrived. Soon after their arrival the senior Canadian officer, Brigadier W.W. Southam, convened a conference which compiled an after action report on the Raid. This was recorded in shorthand in a notebook labelled "Shorthand Reading Exercises. O. Henry's Short Stories", which after the war was donated to the archives of the Historical Section of the Canadian Army HQ.[1]

In September 1942, British officers from Oflag VI-B Dössel, were transferred to VII-B after a mass escape (the "Warburg Wire Job"). Within months two officers from Dössel, Lieutenant Jock Hamilton-Baillie and Captain Frank Weldon, proposed digging a tunnel north from Block 2's latrine to a villager's chicken coop about 30 m (98 ft) away. Work began in December 1942, but the rocky ground made digging difficult. The Germans found spoil from the tunnel and searched the camp, but failed to find it. The tunnel was completed in May, and on the night of 3/4 June 1943 sixty-five men escaped. Most of them headed south, towards Switzerland, sleeping by day and travelling by night. Eventually, all 65 were recaptured, but had occupied over 50,000 police, soldiers, home guard and Hitler Youth for a week. After two weeks detention in nearby Willibaldsburg Castle, the escapees were sent to Oflag IV-C at Colditz Castle.

In spring of 1943 American and British (C company) personnel captured in the Tunisia Campaign arrived.

On 14 April 1945, as the U.S. Army approached, the officers were marched out of the camp. Unfortunately, only a short distance from the camp the column was attacked by American aircraft, who mistook it for a formation of German troops. Fourteen British officers were killed and 46 were wounded. In 2003 a memorial plaque was erected by local German authorities at the site.[3]

The camp was liberated by the U.S. Army on 16 April 1945. The POWs were repatriated to their home countries. For the British this meant a march begging for food from farmers until transport reached them.

As of 2012 the site of the camp is occupied by the barracks and training school of II. Bereitschaftspolizeiabteilung ("2nd Riot Police Division") of the Bavarian State Police.[4]

English composer Benjamin Britten wrote a short piece for male voices The Ballad of Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard and dedicated it to "Richard Wood and the musicians of Oflag VIIb". The work was completed on December 13, 1943 and smuggled into the camp on microfilm for the prisoners to sing.

14. Somebody last year was searching for the same person (possibly you?)
    Here is the info they had
    Date: 23 April 2013
    Time: 09:09:42

Comments
    I am researching a Captain Colin Yeo 23rd Field Regt R.A. on behalf of his daughter. He was taken prisoner at St Valery 1939. I have his service records from army office in Glasgow, but they give no details of where Capt Yeo was imprisoned. He was awarded the Military Cross File no 68/Gen/8169. And 'Recommended by 51 Division Pow Pool' 'Theatre Ex Pow' Does anyone know what all this may mean - and if so can you advise me please in making further research on this subject? Kind Regards,