Military Cross -4 Mercian (V)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Mar 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Masisve congratulations are in order to Pte Luke Cole:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=112154&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=

Military Cross for 'hero' soldier
    Friday, March 7, 2008
    Private Luke Cole helped wounded colleagues despite being shot A British soldier has been awarded the Military Cross for his heroism in Afghanistan.

Private Luke Cole, 22, from Wolverhampton, a Territorial Army soldier attached to the Mercian Regiment, administered first aid to wounded colleagues while continuing to return fire against the Taliban - all despite being shot twice himself.

The two-hour night-time gun fight took place following an ambush in Helmand Province last September.

Pte Cole was hit in the leg and in the hip moments later but he refused morphine and continued to defend his comrades.

He said: "The first shot blew five inches of bone out of my leg and then I was hit in the hip and the bullet came out my stomach.

"I realised it was serious when I was dragged back and I saw my insides were hanging out. We were ambushed and they started to surround us - but I was not having that."

On his award, he added: "I'm shocked that I've got this. I was just doing my job."

An officer also received the Military Cross for leading 600 Afghan soldiers to victory over Taliban militants. Major Martin David's official role in Helmand Province was as an operational mentor for 1st Kandak Afghan National Army.

But 1st Kandak's command structure soon fell apart during battle, leaving Maj David to lead them with the help of 36 British soldiers under him - and a handful of interpreters.

"It was emotional at times," said the 38-year-old Grenadier Guard, a father of three from Aldershot in Hampshire. "I ended up commanding the whole Afghan battalion. It was incredibly stressful because we were doing it all through interpreters."

This bloke has Balls of Steel, and is hopefully a role model to other young men and women in Wolverhampton.

2. When did the Mercians/WFR merge with the AngleIrons?

Congratulations Private Luke Cole

3. Well done him, what a player.

4. Well done indeed. Superb effort. Hope he is recovering as well as possible.

5. I found out yesterday on the jungle bongos.

Its 4 MERCIAN thought!!!!

6. Saw this in the paper this morning. Well done that man! (and everyone else too)

7. Good work fella!!!!! :D

2 fingers to all the people who think that the people in the "TA's" don't actually do real soldier work!

P.S. Hope the wounds are healing well!

8. My most heartfelt congratulations to him and to all those also awarded.
    The best advert for the TA.

9. wonderful stuff Luke.

Hope he recovers quickly, and well.

H.

10. Bump

11. All the best to Luke and a speedy recovery.

Congratulations on the award.

Smowy - Any chance the thread title can show the correct unit?

12. E coy East of England Regiment, 4 companys of angle iron 1 company of woofers(mansfeild coy i think)
    did the lad mobilise before they became mercians so he could be considered to be part of a royal anglian battalion attached to 1WFR at the time if of course he was EER and not WMR

13. Yes he was called up before the Mercian Regt was formed. His injury was last September and he was heading for the end of his tour. A few weeks left to do I think. I think 4 Mercia was formed about that time.