Military courses that can carry over to cadets?

squigeypie

War Hero
Would one of you be so kind as to put a link to a thread on the above. Regards

2/51

LE
Are you meaning military qualifications that can transfer if you join as CFAV?

If so, we have a member who is still serving in the Reserves and certain quals have, after consultation with the Commandant, been transferred. They are mainly Range Qualifications.

squigeypie

War Hero
what about map reading and skillys?

What is the difference between Cadet and Army range quals?
Safety supe, ic butts etc is collected under a annual 'ancillary staff' course (3 years if SASC run).

For RCO there is a short rnge (up to 25m) course and long range (over 25m). Both are essentially b qual but limited to LFMT subject to distance. No transition such as movers.

The cadets use weapons systems that the Army doesn't eg air rifles and No 8 (soon to become the cadet small bore target rifle) and the cadet target rifle but the TSA can authorise certain qualifications if in date to transfer across e.g. SA(B)90 for ARD and Long Range, DSST etc but you may have to have training on short ranges i.e. .177 & .22. First aid and some driving quals, Navigation.
Individuals can also be excused elements of CFAV training and be fast tracked for example if you left the Army today as a Captain your commission can be transferred and you could join the ACF as a captain, similarly it would be ridiculous to make a WO2 a probationary Sgt

AC14233 The ACF manual will help give guidance as will Cadet Training Ranges AC 71855 an extract is below.

0116. Qualifications on Re-enlistment. It is the responsibility of the County Commandant (or equivalent) to assess the suitability of an individual to retain a range or SAA qualification and to ensure they have completed refresher training where required. CFAV range qualified personnel who are re-enlisting or Regular and Reserve range qualified personnel who are joining the Cadet Forces within 3 years of termination may retain their qualifications, providing a record of or a course report showing that qualification can be produced. The minimum rank requirement to hold a range qualification will still apply. Any period over 3 years and they would have to attend a qualifying course

Last edited:
My RCO carried across but at some point (long time ago - memory fades!) I did the CRCQ for FB and SB which promptly became more-or-less redundant IIRC. Oddly, the Scouts treat the RCO qual as a 'ticket for life' and I've never had to do the horrendously expensive NSRA qualification - although having met a few who have done it, I'm not sure of its value, especially when dealing with kids.

if you left the Army today as a Captain your commission can be transferred and you could join the ACF as a captain, similarly it would be ridiculous to make a WO2 a probationary Sgt
Counties are not as relaxed with ex-regs and reserves, as perhaps they once were. Apart from a few very basic RAWs (Recruit Adult Weekends, ie RAW 1 - how to wear uniform, mil org, etc), you are unlikely to get dispensation. Even then they like you to turn up to all of them if you could, as you are getting to know your peers and the county/Bn.

All CFAVs will start as a PI (probationary Sgt so to speak). Once CFAV training is complete they would move to which ever rank was appropriate, as a general rule I think ex Sgts usually move swiftly to SSI (possibly skipping SI) and those above that will move swiftly move to SMI/RSMI, (possibly skipping ranks). It would depend upon the individual, their background and, of course, vacancies.

An ex-captain would eventually become a Lt, acting Captain. All ACF officers are Lts, acting [insert rank here]. Obviously they have attended Westbury and hold a board pass.

Some don't go straight to officer though.

I knew of one ex RAF Officer (A Tfc Controller Sqn Ldr too) who felt it wiser to get a few years in as a SI before going on to bigger and better things, partly to get the lay of the land, partly because he'd just started a new job. The county wanted him to go to Capt (trg off I think), once he'd passed his AITC. He was still cutting about as a PI at this point (ie a probationary Sgt). It's quite normal to see a red tab (PI) turn in to a white tab (pot-officer) at the end of an AITC.

I've known a few people do a few years as an SI. It's too easy to think that ACF is just the Army, and that person who is an SSI/SMI is not as good as you are. But the ACF isn't the Army, and that SSI/SMI, despite being different to a SSgt/Sgt Maj is likely to be pretty good at what they do in the ACF, (ie wrangle kids).

Worth pointing out as well that there are no Warrants in the ACF. SMI or RSMI are the ranks, not WO2 or 1.

MI did the CRCQ for FB and SB which promptly became more-or-less redundant IIRC.
What happened to the FB and SB qualled folk? Did you get a conversion of any kind? Or did your quals just expire overnight?

What happened to the FB and SB qualled folk? Did you get a conversion of any kind? Or did your quals just expire overnight?
Not really sure - it wasn't long after that I decided I could do without the politics and, frankly, bullying at HQ and called it a day. Did a short spell back in the TA and then resigned - life was doing odd things to me and I just walked. From what I understand, it's not as simple nowadays and my Scouts probably get to do more shooting than the average ACF det, albeit mostly with airguns, although we do a fair bit of .22 target and sporter at a local club. If I'm honest, one of the reasons I went to the cadets in the first place was that I enjoyed teaching kids to shoot. I can do that in a much more relaxed and enjoyable way nowadays.

@Tired_Tech your County may not like ex regulars but many do and the regulations are clear. Of course the individual has the right to serve as a PI/SI if the want to be hands on training cadets. The great shortage is officers though.

Previous holders of a commission are eligible for a transfer to a Type B commission.

4.014 Applicants who are serving and who have previously served satisfactorily as officers in the Regular, Reserve or Auxiliary Forces of the Crown or the Naval, Military or Air Forces of the Commonwealth are eligible for direct appointment to a TA GL Sect B commission.

ergo a former capt/ maj maybe immediately appointed (subject to the usual checks and the transfer board approval) a substantive Lt and to that acting and paid rank of Capt/ Maj in the ACF subject to role.

4.032 The highest substantive rank in the ACF is Lieutenant. Candidates appointed to direct commissions will be appointed in that rank where they have previously served in that rank, its equivalent or above.

4.014 Applicants who are serving and who have previously served satisfactorily as officers in the Regular, Reserve or Auxiliary Forces of the Crown or the Naval, Military or Air Forces of the Commonwealth are eligible for direct appointment to a TA GL Sect B commission.

ergo a former capt/ maj maybe immediately appointed (subject to the usual checks and the transfer board approval) a substantive Lt and to that acting and paid rank of Capt/ Maj in the ACF subject to role.
It doesn't have to happen.

The chap I mentioned wasn't in my county.

Funnily enough, I had the opposite experience to the above. When my local ACF County eventually decided to take me on, I filled out a couple of forms, went through the AOSB Transfer Board and was re-engaged at my former Army rank in a matter of weeks.

They funny part was they hadn't put any thought into what they wanted me to do, so as a result I am "on the books" but without any formal or informal role allocated. So I have nothing to do.

This leads me to believe the shortage of officers is a bit bogus. :-D

squigeypie

War Hero
I phoned Glasgow and had to email the request for my quals and training record.
APC-sp-disclosures1@mod.uk if anyone's interested. Include name rank and number in request.
I have had a change of plan, going to my local RMC detachment which are desperately short of adults. So im not sure what if any quals can transfer to the SCC

dwills

War Hero
Funnily enough, I had the opposite experience to the above. When my local ACF County eventually decided to take me on, I filled out a couple of forms, went through the AOSB Transfer Board and was re-engaged at my former Army rank in a matter of weeks.

They funny part was they hadn't put any thought into what they wanted me to do, so as a result I am "on the books" but without any formal or informal role allocated. So I have nothing to do.

This leads me to believe the shortage of officers is a bit bogus. :-D
There are many such as yourself..... eating the cake too....

barneyrnsm

Old-Salt
I phoned Glasgow and had to email the request for my quals and training record.
APC-sp-disclosures1@mod.uk if anyone's interested. Include name rank and number in request.
I have had a change of plan, going to my local RMC detachment which are desperately short of adults. So im not sure what if any quals can transfer to the SCC
The SCC has a list of prior learning that you look through, my range qualification, DIT, COT and CAM and first aid have been accepted. My time as a CPOET means I am an advanced ME instructor, my 22 in the mob also meant I didn't do a weekend square bashing.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads