Military Chiefs Lobby to Keep Browne at Main Building?

So whilst trawling Google News about the reshuffle I found this article on the Telegraph site and one of the bits that jumped out at me was,

telegraph.co.uk said:
However, The Telegraph has been told that after lobbying by military chiefs Mr Browne will stay in his position, although he is unlikely to remain Scottish Secretary as well.
Which just struck me as a bit odd. Now I suppose getting rid of the second job goes a fair way to meeting a lot of the criticism he was under for having to divide his time, but why would 'military chiefs' actively lobby to keep him? Is it simply a case of not wanting to risk someone new and worse/not wanting to have to get a completely new boss brought up to speed or has he actually been doing a half decent job of things whilst my backs been turned?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the other nominees arn't that great either?
They have at last got him onside doing what they want?
He might be an idiot but he's our idiot type thinking

He's always seemed to me to be the sort of lad who spent a lot of time with Matron at school, so maybe he's easily encouraged to do something in the direction of "the right thing" whereas others might not be.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
If you are going to be stuck with a moron dictating policy to you, surely its better to have a moron you have FINALLY managed to potty train. While Browne certainly isn't good, the other candidates are worse AND have not yet been taught how not to piss themselves.

I'm not too sure if I have read this incorrectly, but as i was browsing through the telegraph ( slightly bigger paper than I am normally used to!)
and read that "military chiefs have been lobbying for him"
do they know something I don't?

my impression of him is incompetent and disinterested, I certainly would'nt mind if he was reshuffled, although not as bad as hoon, he is still pants! :x :x

Main argument for keeping him is that we have major budget issues and better to keep the man in charge who understands whats going on, rather than have to educate a new person at a time when some pretty tough decisions need to be made.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
LAIT said:
This is one of those instances where the gross ignorance of ARRSE shines through.
Thanks.

We very much want Des to stay where he is for the following 2 reasons:

1. He actually gives a s*** about service personnel - it's just unfortunate that he rarely gets the opportunity to display without being 'managed' by No10.
If he had a fraction of the bollocks that the lads on the ground in sandy places had, he'd find a way.
2. You do not want to know who is being lined up as a successor.
Tell us then, or are you all mouth?

I know that - as a Scot and a Labour man - he is fit only for vitriol and spite (and lots of posts poking fun at his Scottishness etc) and therefore regarded as 'fair game' by the great and vast unwashed body of ARRSE devotees.
If we are so readily dismissed, why even bother responding?

Sorry to point this out - but as this seems to be a website where post count appears to mean more than actual appointment inside Defence, I rest assured that my post will be ignored anyway.
See above. And you are who, exactly?

:roll:

Interesting first post. As one of the great unwashed.... ah, whatever.

If I recall correctly, there was a thread a couple of months ago about the possible reshuffle and CDS informing the PM that the Chiefs would quite like to keep Des.

And in that thread, us ignorant, unwashed Arrsers observed that Des might well be a better option than people being lined up for the job, and some (albeit fewer in number) suggested that there were signs that Des did care, but was sadly too weak-willed to stand up to No10.

elovabloke

ADC
LAIT said:
This is one of those instances where the gross ignorance of ARRSE shines through.
We very much want Des to stay where he is for the following 2 reasons:

1. He actually gives a s*** about service personnel - it's just unfortunate that he rarely gets the opportunity to display without being 'managed' by No10.

I would prefer someone who is able to manage themselves.

2. You do not want to know who is being lined up as a successor.

Nobody currently around worthy of the job anyway - bunch of freeloading ttwwaattss)

I know that - as a Scot and a Labour man - he is fit only for vitriol and spite (and lots of posts poking fun at his Scottishness etc) and therefore regarded as 'fair game' by the great and vast unwashed body of ARRSE devotees.

Welcome aboard - showers available on Sundays

Sorry to point this out - but as this seems to be a website where post count appears to mean more than actual appointment inside Defence, I rest assured that my post will be ignored anyway.

That’s because your obviously some important c*nt

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
LAIT said:
Rest assured that it will be largely ignored.

If you're that concerned with big moves within Main Building, it doesn't help if your chosen username is located in Wiltshire.

Well sum of us Great Unwashed actually like ya Jock.
And I for one would be only too happy if their great desire was granted today and they where allowed to have their own country to exclusively administer and leave us sassanaks to our own little ways.
john
Probably never happen, Jocks a canny chap and knows when he's on a good thing.

Sounds like Hutton is being shuffled into Defence secretary's position.

Sky News reporting it.

Mandleson coming back from Brussels and will be in cabinet again (how long for before the sleasy tw&t has to resign again?), as business secretary.

TCH to Brussels to replace Mandleson but after a while. (hoon not happy).

ugly

LE
ugly said:
Hutton the crook, erm judge who manipulated erm delivered the invasion erm intervention erm TELIC thing?
Obviously not it seems, he also has an interest in the TA and Military history if only his web page people could spell!
Personal Profile

Labour MP for Barrow and Furness since 1992

1992 majority 3578, 1997 majority 14.497, 2001 majority 9989

1987 candidate for Penrith and the Borders

1989 Euro candidate for Cumbria and North Lancashire.

DoB: 6th May 1955. 3 sons, 1 daughter & (1 son deceased). Married Heather Rogers July 2004

Education: Westcliffe High School, Essex. Magdalen College, Oxford (MA, BCL)

Employment: Research Associate Templeton College. 1980-81

Senior Lecturer in Law at Newcastle Polytechnic 1981 - 92

Hobbies: Football, cricket, films, music and history

Special political interests: Legal Affairs, Welfare State, Defence and Home Affairs

Publications "Kithener's Men" - Published by Pen and Sword Publishers April 2008. The book provides a history of the training and fighting experiences of the Service and Territorial battalions of the King's Own Royal Lancasters in France during World War One. Soliders in the Kings Own Roayl Lancaster were recruited from the Furness area and the book was inspired by the stories related to John by his constituents who served in the Great War. Any proceeds from this publication will go to the British Legion

Affiliations: Trustee (unpaid) Furness Animal Refuge.

Committees: Select Committee on Home Affairs 1994-97. Unopposed Bills 1994-97.

Back Bench Committees: Chair of Home Affairs 1994-97 and Defence

1992-94.

All-Party Subject Groups: Chair of Welfare of Park Home Owners 1995-

97, Chair of British Latin American Group 1997

Political career: PPS to Secretary of State for Trade & Industry 1998

PPS to Leader of the House 1998

Under Secretary of State for Health 1998-99

Minister for Health, Dept. of Health 1999

Minister of State for Health 2001

Member of the Privy Council 2001

Appointed Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster & Minister for the Cabinet Office May 2005

Appointed Secretary of State for Work and Pensions November 2005

Appointed Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform June 2007
He supports RBL so perhaps he will understnd the ramifications of his actions.

I remember a story about a vietnamese sniper/soldier at Khe Sanh told by US soldiers. The vietcong survived countless mortar, air and arty attacks only to pop up and fire a wild shot at the US troops. The US troops then noticed he never hit anyone when he shot at them.

They stopped trying to kill him because they realised that if he died the Vietcong would replace him with soemone who might be dangerous.

:)

Latest Threads