Military Chiefs Lobby to Keep Browne at Main Building?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So whilst trawling Google News about the reshuffle I found this article on the Telegraph site and one of the bits that jumped out at me was,

Which just struck me as a bit odd. Now I suppose getting rid of the second job goes a fair way to meeting a lot of the criticism he was under for having to divide his time, but why would 'military chiefs' actively lobby to keep him? Is it simply a case of not wanting to risk someone new and worse/not wanting to have to get a completely new boss brought up to speed or has he actually been doing a half decent job of things whilst my backs been turned?

2. More than likely they don't want to have to hold a new guys hand and explain everything 200 times.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps the other nominees arn't that great either?
    They have at last got him onside doing what they want?
    He might be an idiot but he's our idiot type thinking

4. He's always seemed to me to be the sort of lad who spent a lot of time with Matron at school, so maybe he's easily encouraged to do something in the direction of "the right thing" whereas others might not be.

5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

If you are going to be stuck with a moron dictating policy to you, surely its better to have a moron you have FINALLY managed to potty train. While Browne certainly isn't good, the other candidates are worse AND have not yet been taught how not to piss themselves.

6. I'm not too sure if I have read this incorrectly, but as i was browsing through the telegraph ( slightly bigger paper than I am normally used to!)
    and read that "military chiefs have been lobbying for him"
    do they know something I don't?

my impression of him is incompetent and disinterested, I certainly would'nt mind if he was reshuffled, although not as bad as hoon, he is still pants! :x :x

7. Main argument for keeping him is that we have major budget issues and better to keep the man in charge who understands whats going on, rather than have to educate a new person at a time when some pretty tough decisions need to be made.

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Thanks.

If he had a fraction of the bollocks that the lads on the ground in sandy places had, he'd find a way.
    Tell us then, or are you all mouth?

If we are so readily dismissed, why even bother responding?

See above. And you are who, exactly?

:roll:

Interesting first post. As one of the great unwashed.... ah, whatever.

9. Diplomatic as ever Jim. :)

Ministers - you can't beat 'em. Shame really.

10. If I recall correctly, there was a thread a couple of months ago about the possible reshuffle and CDS informing the PM that the Chiefs would quite like to keep Des.

And in that thread, us ignorant, unwashed Arrsers observed that Des might well be a better option than people being lined up for the job, and some (albeit fewer in number) suggested that there were signs that Des did care, but was sadly too weak-willed to stand up to No10.

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Rest assured that it will be largely ignored.

If you're that concerned with big moves within Main Building, it doesn't help if your chosen username is located in Wiltshire.

13. If Browne were to go,would his possible replacement be any different?

14. Well sum of us Great Unwashed actually like ya Jock.
    And I for one would be only too happy if their great desire was granted today and they where allowed to have their own country to exclusively administer and leave us sassanaks to our own little ways.
    john
    Probably never happen, Jocks a canny chap and knows when he's on a good thing.

15. Sounds like Hutton is being shuffled into Defence secretary's position.

Sky News reporting it.

Mandleson coming back from Brussels and will be in cabinet again (how long for before the sleasy tw&t has to resign again?), as business secretary.

TCH to Brussels to replace Mandleson but after a while. (hoon not happy).