Military Calibres in France

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Beerhunter, Mar 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am planning to bring a K31 to the UK. I shall need to travel across France. My local Constabulary are saying the a EFP won't cover it because it is a "military calibre" that is to say 7.5 mm Swiss.

1. Does anyone have a definitive list of what the French deem to be a 'military calibre" please? A url would be nice so that I can point the Licensing Department at it.

2. Should it be on such a list does anyone know how that would affect whether or not it can be on an EFP?

BTW, there is no problem with the variation - just the EFP.
  2. If Alsacien doesn't come up soon on here, then try a PM to him. He has a French licence and knows most of the right answers. In the meantime allmost anything that is or was a military calibre causes problems/more work.
  3. The local constabulary are talking rowlocks as usual.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing you can own in the UK that you can't take through France on EFP.

The military calibres thing requires a different license in France -- non-military calibres can essentially just be bought by legal French residents who have a hunting permit who then have to tell the local prefecture that they have bought them. Military calibres require club membership and a prior authorisation... rather like section 1 for target shooting in the UK.
  4. That was EXACTLY my understanding. I shall get back to my Constabulary. BTW I am still looking for an official URL explaining the French Category One - preferably in French of course :twisted:
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It is a military cablibre in France (.338 lapua is not!!).
    You can travel with any weapon in Europe on an EFP unless that weapon is prohibited or has additional controls imposed on it by a country - eg pistols in UK.

France does not prohibit military calibres (called category 1) - you just need permission to buy them beforehand rather than just wandering into a shop. I am just concluding the process to get my L1A1 SLR.
    Today I am taking a 6.5x55 swede to France which is held on a German ticket and EFP, it is not a problem.
  6. It is also worth remembering, although this doesn't really apply as much any more, when travelling around Europe that there is a difference between "prohibited" and "practically impossible to get on a licence."

For instance, a Belgian can bring a standard semiauto MP 5 into the Netherlands, but a Dutch shooter cannot get one on his permit. Pre-2003 reform, non-Germans could bring military lookalike semiautos or even down-converted full autos into Germany on an EFP but Germans couldn't get them on their tickets.

One reason for this is that for instance the German law that refers to use of the EFP simply refers to the European firearms directive classifications (i.e. a sport shooter can bring into Germany on an EFP up to 6 firearms from European categories B, C or D) -- and somewhere in a file I have a nice piece of paper from the German Embassy that states it in this way. I guess the idea is to keep it simple and to avoid causing major problems for legitimate sport shooters who can't possibly know the nuances of what can and cannot be put on what kind of license in a whole raft of countries.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Just to make it more complicated, there is also the "transit" clauses, which vary further if you are coming from or going to a non-EU country :D

Gives me a headache doing all this nonsense in foreign languages....

I think Germans could always get semi-autos on their tickets - via BDS membership (I joined last year). Will be using said French SLR in BDS comps, plus I will probably get a HK or AR in .223 to be competitive.
  8. Yes, the Germans always could get semiautos on their tickets, but they had to be in stupid stocks and without muzzle devices because they weren't allowed military "lookalikes". Since the 2003 reforms, there has been a roaring trade in retrofit G 36 stocks to fit to all the ghastly SL 8 rifles that German shooters had bought pre-2003.

If you want to be competitive, the ONLY way to do this is with an HBAR AR 15. NOTHING else is anywhere near accurate enough. I have seen far too many people get burned because they have a prejudice against the AR and buy a SIG 550 or one of the HK abortions.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Had decided on the AR.
    Would like a get a .22lr and later a .223 on the same lower.
  10. I would definitely recommend the ADCO/CZ/ Victor Arms uppers as the best rimfire ones. They can be ammunition picky, but they are very accurate. I've got one of the older ones, and I'm tempted by one of the newer ones in a different configuration.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Are there any issues mixing uppers and lowers between makers?
  12. in principle, no, but you sometimes will have to do a bit of minor filing on the upper (principally on the pinholes) to get it to fit on any particular lower. This could, however, be principally a problem that I have because I have an Oberland lower which is pretty finely toleranced. My victor arms upper took a while to get fitted, and I once borrowed a friends Olympic Arms dissipator upper which fitted without filing, but was tight (I had to locate the front pin with the upper and lower at right angles and then hinge it backwards to locate the rear pin)