Military books on amazon

#3
The best book by far I have read about the forces is by Don McNaughton.Called "They Stood in the Door" about,from what I gather'the authors time in the 16th Independant Parachute Brigade in the 60's & the follow up,"They Stayed a Soldier" about his time in N.I the 70's.
 
#4
spike7451 said:
The best book by far I have read about the forces is by Don McNaughton.Called "They Stood in the Door" about,from what I gather'the authors time in the 16th Independant Parachute Brigade in the 60's & the follow up,"They Stayed a Soldier" about his time in N.I the 70's.
In the inside back cover of "They stayed a soldier" is an advert for a third book. Can't think of the name but it was to have dealt with soldiers who had left the paras and worked for private companies in Africa or South America? Anyone know if it was ever published? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
 
#6
Eye_Of_Newt said:
spike7451 said:
The best book by far I have read about the forces is by Don McNaughton.Called "They Stood in the Door" about,from what I gather'the authors time in the 16th Independant Parachute Brigade in the 60's & the follow up,"They Stayed a Soldier" about his time in N.I the 70's.
In the inside back cover of "They stayed a soldier" is an advert for a third book. Can't think of the name but it was to have dealt with soldiers who had left the paras and worked for private companies in Africa or South America? Anyone know if it was ever published? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I was in contact with a lad from here who knows that author in Collie who said he never got around to writing it.
Shame really :(
 
#7
trick400 said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Marine-Return-Civvy-Street/dp/184596005X/ref=pd_sim_b_1/026-5750506-6117202

Anyone read this? Any good?
Trick400, I guess, as the author, it'll be best if I answer this for you.

Always A Marine is the Sequal to my first book. It covers the struggle I endured moving on from being a serviceman to a civilian. A transition that took me all over the world through all kinds of situations over a time span of 13 1/2 years.

At the end of it all, I count myself as being one of the lucky ones. Others who have had difficulties making the transition from soldier to civvy have not been so fortunate. Some take their lives, end up homeless, turn to alcohol etc etc. That said, no doubt some I guess don't experience any problems, which is great.

Personally I feel there should be more help available to those who need it to give them advice and guidance during difficult times. It would be a small price for the government to pay in return for the commitment our soldiers give to defending our shores.

Also: Yes, the cover of my second book is a US Marine. The reason for this is down to tight publisher budgets. The other two choices of cover didn't resemble the story. However, this picture resembles a soldier leaving the armed forces with his kit bag for the last time. The story starts exactly where my first book finishes so personally I feel it was the best fit from the choices I had.


Regards

Steven Preece
 
#9
Thanks Howler. Currently I'm working on a novel to follow my biographies. I hope to raise the profile on my belief that military personnel can still be put to good use with the specialist skills they have when they leave the armed forces. Their skills could be used against drug runners, terrorism and crime.

When we all walk through the maingate for the last time, the many skills and years of experience we have go to waste. In reality these could be put to better use.


Regards

Steve
 
#10
Amongst The Marines - The Untold Story is at the top of my book pile... A Classic, anyone and everyone who has ever worn British DPM will be able to relate in some way to parts of Steve's Book...

Steve,

My favourite chapter is the Welshman :D

"Even the Toliet Roll Was Posh"

Reminded me of some escapes myself and former colleagues have had from various places the morning after, entire Hi Fi's, T.V.s and all electrical appliances having been 'taped' up and superglued in position, "gifts" left in kettles, fridges etc.

Those were the days, all came rushing back while reading Steve's Book...

Nice One...




Gundulph
 
#12
Yes, they're on general release. My first book was released in September 2004 and my second one last year. They're available via major bookstores like waterstones etc as well as the internet sites.

I hope you enjoy them. Writing them helped me to move on with my life, although I still look back with many fond memories.



All the best

Steve
 
#13
StevenPreece said:
Also: Yes, the cover of my second book is a US Marine. The reason for this is down to tight publisher budgets. The other two choices of cover didn't resemble the story. However, this picture resembles a soldier leaving the armed forces with his kit bag for the last time. The story starts exactly where my first book finishes so personally I feel it was the best fit from the choices I had.


Regards

Steven Preece


If this really was the best choice of cover, what in the name of God were your other choices?

A dancing ballerina? An elephant smoking a joint?

As to it being due to budgetary constraints, I'm pretty sure DPM kit is cheaper than MARPAT (BTW the boots should be suede, if you want to get the USMC look correct).

T_T
 
#14
You'd be surprised. Anyway, at the time, it seemed like the best choice. Lets be honest, in life we make choices all the time, some good and some bad. Next time I'll persist a little more.


Regards

Steve
 
#15
Got to admit that had i seen that cover in Waterstones i would have totally ignored the book, dismissing it as another pile of colonial drivel. Your publishers really need to get a grip. I will now endeavour to obtain a copy. Regards RHC
 
#16
StevenPreece said:
You'd be surprised. Anyway, at the time, it seemed like the best choice. Lets be honest, in life we make choices all the time, some good and some bad. Next time I'll persist a little more.


Regards

Steve
Will certainly put this on the reading list. Best of luck with this.

Your cover and Picking up the Brass are neck and neck in the 'drab' cover competition, IMHO. Often good to put sample book covers in front of the book sales team at their monthly conference, they'll give brutally honest and spot on advice, that the publisher has to listen to also.
 
#17
The difference being that we didn't have a budget at all, as we published it ourselves.

The bloke on the front of our book is one of the Riggers mate's who we got to dress in 80's PT kit. It might be drab, but I like it. That's a fcuking good star jump he's knocking out and far better than any I managed. As it says in the book, when I did 'em, I always just looked like John Inman feigning surprise.

Surely the content is more important than the cover, particularly in a book that is purely sold online?
 
#18
convoy_cock said:
The difference being that we didn't have a budget at all, as we published it ourselves.

The bloke on the front of our book is one of the Riggers mate's who we got to dress in 80's PT kit. It might be drab, but I like it. That's a fcuking good star jump he's knocking out and far better than any I managed. As it says in the book, when I did 'em, I always just looked like John Inman feigning surprise.

Surely the content is more important than the cover, particularly in a book that is purely sold online?
I wept with laughter through your book, nearly suffering three coronaries. Congrats on a significant achievement.

But having been in book publishing/marketing/sales/distribution/retail for more years than worth remembering the cover is the main marketing tool and you could exploit the book's potential with some pro design. The cover is killing it currently and you'll never get perspective as it's your 'baby'. I used to get authors and publishers in front of my commercial/sales team and they'd murder them on the spot. But saved them thousands in lost sales as the sales team wanted to sell shed loads.
 
#19
Thanks for the advice. I think next time around I might put the book cover choices on here and put it down to a vote.

We'll see.


Cheers

Steve
 
#20
I just ordered your books. I wasn't going to at first but actually having a reply from the author swayed me. Nice touch!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads