Military & Aviation Book Society - the catch?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by PM-88, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the recent addition of Soldier, a little leafet dropped out and claimed that I could by 5 military history books for just under £5 (£2.95 for P&P)...on going on the internet, I have tried to find a catch in this "too good to be true offer" but have found I looking to hard?

If someone could enlighten me, it would be very appreciative, becuase the books do look very good.

Sorry if I have missed the obvious!

2. I've used them for about 10 years, no catch, you have to buy i think 3 books a year for 1 or 2 years, it may have changed, then you can sack it whenever you want. A couple of times I went to close my account as I've ran out of space for books and they tempt you back with freebies! All in all a pretty decent firm. My opinion.
  3. I have been a member of Mil & Avi for many years and have had no problems,sometimes you have abit of a wait for the books you order due to demand but otherwise the club offers a good service/cheap books plus you can do it all on-line if you desire,and browse the back-catalogue.
    One point to note is that once you have completed your commitment to buy x-amount of books insist that you do not get sent the editor's choice of book as its usually sh*te that is not selling.I do not get 'editor's choice' sent to me and just get the catalogue once a month with no commitment to buy but very often do as there are some cracking books to choose from plus some very good offers to grab.
    Hope that helps.
  4. I've used a similar thing before (probably same company but different branch) and had no problem. As mentioned above you have to do a few books each year but nothing much really.
    Or you could be like me and work in the book trade and never have to buy a book! 8)
  5. no probs at all with them - thinking of rejoining. Got some excellent titles that are no longer in print
  6. My parents were members of one of the other book clubs run by the same company - the Crime & Fiction one, if it still exists - and one aspect they noticed was that the books weren't the same as what you would buy in the bookshop. eg the bookclub books were frequently smaller in size and printed on what seemed to be lower quality paper.

It was never really a problem - after all, there was no change to the content and the books remained perfectly readable - but it might be worth being aware of it.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I have used Mil Books for years,the service is good as long as you remember to cancel the editors choice which can be a pain.

I may get a heads up on a book at say £30 and then go on Amazon and get it 'used or nearly new' for £10. Which is always an option.
  8. Also have a look in the clearance book shops they seem to off load quite a bit of their stock by the looks of it done quite well out of that aspect of it