Military Accuracy in 'Mad Men'

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Firstly I love the show and have done since it began. Nonetheless, the clangers it drops when it comes to military historical accuracy does take away from the enjoyment for spotters like me. This is especially so given the huge lengths the show's producers have gone to recreate the era as authentically as they can in every other respect.

For example:

Korean War -In a flashback scene, PFC Whitman (as was then) is shown wearing the unit flash of the 40th Div on his left breast (apparently they were occasionally worn there during that era instead of on the left shoulder). This was supposedly in 1950. The 40th was a California NG unit that didn't actually deploy to Korea till the beginning of 1952. All it would have taken was the most cursory of google searches to find out which units were in theatre then.

A bit of a debate has resulted between of us spotter-folk after the latest episode where an Army Surgeon is shown wearing his Tan Uniform Class A's in July 1966. Capt Greg Harris (see pic below) is shown wearing the Combat Medic Badge, Bronze Star, Vietnam Service Medal, National Defense Medal (sic) & the Vietnamese issued Viet Nam Campaign Medal. On his right breast he sports a collection of unit citation/foreign awards and his left arm bears the flash of II Field Force Viet Nam.

A couple of questions for American ARRSErs:

1. Would an officer, especially a Surgeon assigned to the decidedly REMF HQ formation of II Field Force, have ever been assigned as a medic with an Infantry unit and hence be awarded the CMB?
  2. Can anyone ID the awards on his right breast? The middle one looks like the 'Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation' with palm, but can't place the others.
  3. Lastly, an American chap has alleged that, "there are strict regulations prohibiting filming military uniforms for scripted entertainment. To meet the legal requirements some details of the uniform must be incorrect." I have never heard of this before. Is this a 'Stolen Valor' (sic) thing or is he talking bollocks?

MM_MY_504_0920_0402.jpg

Rodney2q

You are going to die alone, in a room heavy with the tang of cat's piss.

She's got one eye bigger than .... oh cracking pair o norks.

I bet them lovely norks haven't been outed yet

Much like the nice norks of that bird off Xena

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crapatalk and a head dobber

A bit of a debate has resulted between of us spotter-folk after the latest episode where an Army Surgeon is shown wearing his Tan Uniform Class A's in July 1966. Capt Greg Harris (see pic below) is shown wearing the Combat Medic Badge, Bronze Star, Vietnam Service Medal, National Defense Medal (sic) & the Vietnamese issued Viet Nam Campaign Medal. On his right breast he sports a collection of unit citation/foreign awards and his left arm bears the flash of II Field Force Viet Nam.

A couple of questions for American ARRSErs:

1. Would an officer, especially a Surgeon assigned to the decidedly REMF HQ formation of II Field Force, have ever been assigned as a medic with an Infantry unit and hence be awarded the CMB?
  2. Can anyone ID the awards on his right breast? The middle one looks like the 'Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation' with palm, but can't place the others.
  3. Lastly, an American chap has alleged that, "there are strict regulations prohibiting filming military uniforms for scripted entertainment. To meet the legal requirements some details of the uniform must be incorrect." I have never heard of this before. Is this a 'Stolen Valor' (sic) thing or is he talking bollocks?

View attachment 71465
If I ever have a question about medals or uniforms you will be the first person I will ask. If I ever have a question about "LIFE" I will give you a wide bearth

I bet them lovely norks haven't been outed yet

Much like the nice norks of that bird off Xena

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crapatalk and a head dobber
On the contrary, sir, the puppies of the former were 'hacked' from her mobile quite some time ago.

As for Xena: Christ, man, have you been living under a rock?

On the contrary, sir, the puppies of the former were 'hacked' from her mobile quite some time ago.

As for Xena: Christ, man, have you been living under a rock?
You appear very knowledgeable. Any idea when we get paid this month? Do you have to pass P Coy to wear a red berry?

Army Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army)
Awarded to a unit for at least six months of outstanding service during a period of combat on or after 1 January 1944

Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Unit Citation (All Services)
Awarded by the Republic of Vietnam to units for valorous combat achievement.

Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation (All Services)
Awarded by the Republic of Vietnam to units in recognition of meritorious civil action service.

As to the CMB it could indeed have been awarded while assigned to II FF. IIFF had in its ash and trash orbat several Infantry companies and a LRRP Ranger company (at one point the company was Delta co. 151 Inf LRRP Indiana National Guard), Artillery batterys, etc.

The last bit is rumor

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't mad men the series about advertising execs in the 60's? Military accuracy might therefore not be top of their "get it right" list?