Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The-Goose, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All the noise surrounding MPs accommodation has obscured the fact that even with the latest Defence Budget, the average Military house will be refurbished once every 70 years.

can you imagine the outrage that MPs would rightly express if they had refurbishment payments restricted on the same basis.

That aside no-one seems to be pushin hard on the need for more attention to be given to our housing.
  2. There was something on Radio 4's "Today in Parliament" a few days ago. I think the Defence Committee was discussing the way forward. I'll try to find it.

3. That took me a while!

BBC - Today in Parliament on Wed 13 May 09

It starts at about 9m:30s in and continues until 14m:45s.

In a sometimes light-hearted manner that sat uneasily with the seriousness of the subject, the Public Accounts Committee, chaired by Edward Leigh MP, discussed a NAO report that described how one third of Services personnel were unhappy with their married accommodation and the service they received from the DHE. Those in attendance:

Sir Bill Jeffrey KCB - PUS
    VAdm Tim Laurence CB MVO
    Austin Mitchell MP (Lab Grimsby) - focussed on the age of military sofas because he had been castigated by the Telegraph for refurbishing his sofa...allegedly....
    Ian Davidson MP

If you have a military sofa that is older than 20 years, could you please photograph it and send the picture to Austin Mitchell MP, quoting his conversation. Preferably one of the really lumpy sofas that pre-date the G-Plan stuff of the 1980s. FFS, I despair of the insensitivity of our elected MPs.

When asked by the Chairman whether it would really take 20 years to refurbish all the married quarters, Sir Bill Jeffrey thought "it could be done quicker" and mentioned 2-3 years.

Don't hold your breath!

4. What married quarter does VAdm Tim Laurence occupy?

Which married quarters has VAdm Tim Laurence ever occupied?

If you have never used a product, how much value is your comment on it?