Military .22 caliber training rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by PRO_USA_UK, Oct 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I bought two 22 caliber M-44 Training rifles at the Civilian Marksmanship Program http://www.odcmp.com/ (they both are marked US Property). These two beauties were sequential serial numbers and were made by Mossberg in 1944. I had a scope mount put on one of them and match Lymann sights on the front of the other. They both have Bull Barrels, the triggers are quite remarkable for a military training rifle.

Does anyone else have anything similar, UK manufacture? I have seen a lot of full size rifles with .22 adapters, but I am not aware of anything similar used by the British Army.

Attached Files:

• m-44.jpg
      File size:
      165.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Wow, the first picture of the link with the two rifles look sweet. I have been to a lot of Gun shows and have never seen anything like those. After reading the whole article it is likely that I won't. My father-in-law is a big gun collector and has a lot of military .22 caliber training rifles and I don't think he has anything like the ones your link showed. He mostly has some Italian, German, and even Russian training rifles. For me though I would like to buy one of these

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

but, I will have to wait until next year.

never say never..... http://www.zefarm.net/productView.php?id=2251&cat_id=2

3. yes they are still the current .22 rifles used by cadets.

4. not for much longer though from what ive heard.

5. I havnt heard they were changing the .22 rifles, though i do know they replacing the L98A2's with a semi automatic i think it was, rather than cocking it after every shot, but i think the .22 will still be used as they wont allow the others to be used in the smaller ranges.

6. From what ive been told to fund the L98a2 the no8 will be retired and no longer be funded by the MOD for cadets. But this is all just rumours as usual.

I know my RNR unit has a few No8's for its own use.

7. well maybe this is the case I know we are giving up our current L98's (the ones with big long cocking hadles cant remember wether its a1 or a2 :S) when the new ones come in. i do hope we get to keep the no8 though as our range is only 25m, unless the school pays for the upkeep of the no8? guess I'll just have to wait and see...

8. A1 has the cocking handle A2 with the gas system.

All ive heard is hear say plus my WI ticket is with the SCC so things are probably completly different to your set up (i guess CCF).

9. Don't get too enthusiastic about the No 8, they may look good, but most of them are in poor condition and are great for hitting barn doors from inside the barn. :D

10. I used to love the No.8 when I was a wee cadet. I'd love to get my hands on one, any idea if there are any about? I'd imagine they're quite rare...

11. I would think it would be pretty difficult to make a 22 caliber rifle that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but I guess anything is possible.

12. You aint been on a range with the little scrotes. With them anythings possible!! :p

13. we have some biathlon style .22's in the armoury, but thats it