Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milestone for runway works at RAF Lossiemouth as aircraft return

Don’t the Royal Engineers possess the skill set to do this sort of thing? Or is there another reason to spunk £75m on an external contractor?

Looking at the apron photo in the link someone may have forgotten to allow for a bit of fall in the surface to allow the water to drain away, going to be a nice ice rink in the next few months , hope the runway is better.

Don’t the Royal Engineers possess the skill set to do this sort of thing? Or is there another reason to spunk £75m on an external contractor?

In theory yes. There are certainly professionally qualified engineer officers and clerk of works (construction) who could do this. All sapper YO do a ‘plant, roads and airfields’ module which certainly used to include a bit on ‘aircraft quality pavement’.

But sappers don’t tend to get involved in civil works in the UK, and haven’t for generations.

Barracks construction etc (and airfields) in the UK have been the responsibility of the Ministry of Works since at least WW2, the MoE became the Department of the Environment, which by the 80s had become the Property Services Agency. Then stuff started getting privatised.

not_observed

Old-Salt
Looking at the apron photo in the link someone may have forgotten to allow for a bit of fall in the surface to allow the water to drain away, going to be a nice ice rink in the next few months , hope the runway is better.
You're literally looking at a small portion of surface, over react like this often?

You're literally looking at a small portion of surface, over react like this often?
Big enough area for someone to slip on , if there's one there may be others, submarine hatches and all that !!

In theory yes. There are certainly professionally qualified engineer officers and clerk of works (construction) who could do this. All sapper YO do a ‘plant, roads and airfields’ module which certainly used to include a bit on ‘aircraft quality pavement’.

But sappers don’t tend to get involved in civil works in the UK, and haven’t for generations.

Barracks construction etc (and airfields) in the UK have been the responsibility of the Ministry of Works since at least WW2, the MoE became the Department of the Environment, which by the 80s had become the Property Services Agency. Then stuff started getting privatised.

So the sappers could do it, but some CS somewhere has decided that might prevent them getting an OBE and a generous backhander from the contractor.

I assume these types of skills are a rarity for sappers to practice in and having to do it in a shitty country on another shitty op is not the time to be faffing about.

So the sappers could do it, but some CS somewhere has decided that might prevent them getting an OBE and a generous backhander from the contractor.

I assume these types of skills are a rarity for sappers to practice in and having to do it in a shitty country on another shitty op is not the time to be faffing about.

I think it was more evolutionary than that.

Because the work was always done by the MoW and it’s descendants it was never an RE task. The privatisation is coincidental.

When I went through my training there were large sheds at Chatham where houses were built. Using sand and water so they could be easily taken apart.

I did one construction task in the FI and one large MACC task in southern Germany.

We just didn’t do these jobs.

Because the work was always done by the MoW and it’s descendants it was never an RE task. The privatisation is coincidental.

When I went through my training there were large sheds at Chatham where houses were built. Using sand and water so they could be easily taken apart.

I did one construction task in the FI and one large MACC task in southern Germany.

I understand now. We’ve just forked out £75m because the RE are bone idle ;-)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I understand now. We’ve just forked out £75m because the RE are bone idle ;-)
And there were no pie shops handy! (although my mate who runs a nearby hotel could've made a fortune selling them)

And there were no pie shops handy! (although my mate who runs a nearby hotel could've made a fortune selling them)

He wouldn‘t he’d just have a lot of pies stolen.

Truer than you think...:)

I know. A young sapper nearly got left on the border after snaffling the ATO’s stake & kiderly off the genny.

I think the only thing that saved him was that we needed two doubloons to complete the isolation.

IIRC 38 field RE relaid the runway at RAF Laarbruch in the early '80's.