Mileage v Maths

Hi all, I have a team member who has a 2 litre diesel car, she says she has done 724 miles and it cost her £300 in diesel, can somebody please help me with the maths and tell me what mileage per gallon she is achieving when diesel here is £1.31 per litre?

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a team member who has a 2 litre diesel car, she says she has done 724 miles and it cost her £300 in diesel, can somebody please help me with the maths and tell me what mileage per gallon she is achieving when diesel here is £1.31 per litre?
£300 / £1.31 = 229litres

229 litres = 50 Gallons

724miles / 50litres= 14.48mpg

Give or take a bit from rounding

AMAP mileage rate approved by HMRC is £0.45/mile, which would give £324.50 - so I'd say she's basing her claim on that, running costs, not just diesel.

If an employer expected me to drive around in my own car and then just pay me the cost of the diesel without any contribution to wear and tear I'd tell them to jam it in their hoop.

AMAP mileage rate approved by HMRC is 0.45/mile, which would give £324.50 - so I'd say she's basing her claim on that, running costs, not just diesel.

If an employer expected me to drive around in my own car and then just pay me the cost of the diesel without any contribution to wear and tear I'd tell them so jam it in their hoop.[/QUOTE

That’s correct but does not answer my question

The correct MPG calculation would be based on starting with a full tank, driving a distance and filling back up

Then divide the miles covered by the gallons filled up, or by converting the litres filled to gallons at 1 litre = 0.264172 gallons

As others have said, she may be basing this on HMRC rates, which AIUI is all you're obliged to cough.

Usual stuff about checking her insurance is OK with this.

14.37 so if she's claiming that as actual fuel purchased, she's "being economical with the truth" regarding which vehicle(s) it was bought for.
I'd expect something like 40mpg out of a 2 litre diesel - I get 30mpg out of a 2.5 litre turbo diesel Isuzu pickup truck.

As an aside, I trust she also has business to business travel insurance if she is running you around.
Completely different from home>office>office to home.
Incredible how many people don't...and often to their cost.

14.37 so if she's claiming that as actual fuel purchased, she's "being economical with the truth" regarding which vehicle(s) it was bought for.
I'd expect something like 40mpg out of a 2 litre diesel - I get 30mpg out of a 2.5 litre turbo diesel Isuzu pickup truck.
6 year old Octavia 2.0 TD, 4x4 variant, 80,000 miles doing 41 mpg for a mix of traffic/journey unless I put the caravan on.

As others have said, she may be basing this on HMRC rates, which AIUI is all you're obliged to cough.

Usual stuff about checking her insurance is OK with this.
Not entirely correct, you can cough up virtually however much you like. The HMRC figures only relate to the tax free calculation, above that figure is liable to tax.

You can pay less too.