mile and a half, again

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by imasapper, Aug 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how much time they think I could knock off my 1.5 mile run in two and a half months, if I got a grip and really put my mind to it.

I'm not a fat bastard, just particularly unfit and manage a rather shameful 12:45 at present.

Many thanks.
  2. Two and a half months, lets see:

3 miles a day x 75 days = 8 mins.
  3. Hi,
    I got from 12:50 to 11:00 in about a month and took about another month to get to 10:20 average. That was running 10k twice a week on average and a little but of diet changing, I also worked on my situps and pressups at the same time.
    If you really go for it i would expect to see times of at most 10:00 in gthe 2 1/2 months your giving your self although i suppose it depends on if you are fit and just not a middle distance runner or if your fat cnut like i was.

i sould say this is only the info i have from personal experiance and im sure people will say my figures are arrse.
  4. What are you waffling about?

As to the original question, have you run it before?

If so, what kind of times did you used to get?

Are you male or female?

How old are you?

Are you motivated enough to train hard for the next two and a half months?
  5. Stupid thread requires stupid answers.
  6. I'm a 20 year old male and I have run the distance quite a few times. That's the sort of time I'm getting now; it was about a minute more in the past. Shameful I know, but yes I am motivated enough to put in a shitload of effort.
  7. 2 1/2 months should be plenty of time to get your times down.

Running some longer distances always seems to help me, i.e. don't just run 1 1/2 miles!

Try a bit of fartlek or interval training too. That should help you work up your speed.

There's loads of different running programmes available on the net (I think there might even be one in the ARRSEpedia), so you should be able to find one that suits you.

I think there's a half-decent 1 1/2 mile programme on the NZ Army website.

Try giving that a go to start with.

8. Ok, I'll give it a go, cheers
  9. With exception to no1cares who seems like a grade A pr1ck, there is no advice here so far that is wrong or misleading.

As already stated there are so many factors that can determine what you might achieve that it's impossible to list them all here. But I would say that other than lots of steady running the most important thing you require is dedication to do all that steady running. Do this and acheive what ever you can achieve just don't put yourself under any undue pressure.
  10. ...And mind your knees!!!!!
  11. Yea, and mind your knees! Morty has all the answers! :p
  12. I'm a one man knee preservation society! Shame I can't heed my own advice...
  13. Hey lads, sorry im new was lookin around but didnt actually register.

Now i heard if you get under 13mins but actually do accomplish your 44 press-up's and 50 sit-ups that you get your bounty. I aint sure if thats true but i wouldnt go for that, train as much as you can. ive knocked from 12 to 10:27 in about 2 1/2 months of hard graft. Keep in runnin if you cba or to tired drag yourself out of bed and get into those trainers and run.
  14. Very wise words indeed. Don't settle for the minimum standard just to get a bounty. Make training a habit and part of your mil trg even if it in your own time, afterall, it is you who will personally benefit from the advantageous health factors into old age.