Mike Yardley NOT a friend of the sporting shooter and possibly a twat

He was probably the team and held all meetings in his room as there were no other interested parties.

How a cadet would find the time to do anything other than his course is beyond me.

There were plenty of staff teams and activities, but cadets not so much.
I was one of the last of the two year commissioning course folk, and many of the minor activity sports were being shut down as I left as part of the Jackie Harman changes and the switch to the Standard Military 6 month course. I was on both the small and full bore rifle teams, but there was never a pistol or clay team. There were pistol and clay clubs, but they were frankly dying, with no competitive fixtures.

Shooting in the 60s and 70s was not in a good place, with a huge decline in interest in any form of non operational activity. Bisley was dominated by a bunch of somewhat narrow minded individuals who were only interested in either match rifle (only titled members need apply..) and target rifle, who were trying to get their heads around the shift from .303 to 7.62! If you think the current NRA were a bunch of dinosaurs, you should have seen this lot!

Even military shooting was pretty dire, with sniping almost a lost art and military shooting competitions dominated by Gurkha regiments who spent all their time on Ash ranges and basically put everyone else off..

In many ways, we were the authors of our own demise with almost no official recognition or support of interest in shooting. Most internal opinion seems to have originated from the Sgts Mess at Warminster and from whoever was sitting behind the desk at Small Arms wing, regardless of background, expertise or competency..

The real experts in small arms from places like Sterling and Enfield were kept very much in the background. If you look at what the system did to folk like Herbie Woodend it would make you weep. Of the current commentators I would put Ian McCollum and our very own @stoatman as shining examples of what should have been happening forty years ago...

Yardley... who he?

I was one of the last of the two year commissioning course folk, and many of the minor activity sports were being shut down as I left as part of the Jackie Harman changes and the switch to the Standard Military 6 month course. I was on both the small and full bore rifle teams, but there was never a pistol or clay team. There were pistol and clay clubs, but they were frankly dying, with no competitive fixtures.

Shooting in the 60s and 70s was not in a good place, with a huge decline in interest in any form of non operational activity. Bisley was dominated by a bunch of somewhat narrow minded individuals who were only interested in either match rifle (only titled members need apply..) and target rifle, who were trying to get their heads around the shift from .303 to 7.62! If you think the current NRA were a bunch of dinosaurs, you should have seen this lot!

Even military shooting was pretty dire, with sniping almost a lost art and military shooting competitions dominated by Gurkha regiments who spent all their time on Ash ranges and basically put everyone else off..

In many ways, we were the authors of our own demise with almost no official recognition or support of interest in shooting. Most internal opinion seems to have originated from the Sgts Mess at Warminster and from whoever was sitting behind the desk at Small Arms wing, regardless of background, expertise or competency..

The real experts in small arms from places like Sterling and Enfield were kept very much in the background. If you look at what the system did to folk like Herbie Woodend it would make you weep. Of the current commentators I would put Ian McCollum and our very own @stoatman as shining examples of what should have been happening forty years ago...

Yardley... who he?
Thankee koindly for your kind words and the illustrious company in which you placed me :)

Unfortunately most of the "research" back in the day was the likes of Ian Hogg repeating hearsay or just making stuff up, and then citing himself endlessly on it. He's very much the Noam Chomsky of gun writers on that front....

Thankee koindly for your kind words and the illustrious company in which you placed me :)

Unfortunately most of the "research" back in the day was the likes of Ian Hogg repeating hearsay or just making stuff up, and then citing himself endlessly on it. He's very much the Noam Chomsky of gun writers on that front....
Not at all... credit where credit is due!

There are a few other writers I rate, David Penn being amongst the best. Anthony Williams has some interesting stuff (and has quoted moi in one of his books!) although I'm not sure how deep the understanding goes in some areas. The problem these days is that the development and procurement work is so compartmentalised it is difficult to get a proper picture. I am a bit suspicious of some of the "coffee table" books produced in the 60 & 70s with lots of pikkies but not much comment..

I met Bill Harriman and Rob Tilney at an antiques roadshow event last year (I ended up on the cutting room floor - I have a good face for radio apparently!) They were friendly and knowledgeable within their domains, but I'm not sure I rate them outside the sporting area..

I have a mate that knows Yardley.. quite a hit with the ladies it would seem!

David Penn is an excellent chap. Not had anything really to do with Tony Williams, seems a generally good egg but a large chunk of his forum seems to be dedicated to finding obscure and highly improbable hypothetical reasons as to why bullpups are superior to conventional layouts, incorporating on occasion hypotheses on accuracy that would cause even benchrest shooters to blush... :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have a mate that knows Yardley.. quite a hit with the ladies it would seem!
The only military skill he retained was the ability to lie himself into a bint's grundies.

ugly

LE
David Penn is an excellent chap. Not had anything really to do with Tony Williams, seems a generally good egg but a large chunk of his forum seems to be dedicated to finding obscure and highly improbable hypothetical reasons as to why bullpups are superior to conventional layouts, incorporating on occasion hypotheses on accuracy that would cause even benchrest shooters to blush... :)
David Penn, a true Gent and a fine shot to boot, still devoting much time to digging into proposed legislation and attending Europe wide meetings to attempt to slow down the creeping death of legislating shooting out of existence.

The only military skill he retained was the ability to lie himself into a bint's grundies.
...Screw 'em, in every sense... Then dump... Not what one expects of an officer and a gentleman?
Oh, I forgot, it's Mike (tosses forelock) Yardley.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
But he does have a double.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Aw, shucks! You mean I've been traducing the wrong one, all his time?
We've only seen, (and avoided,) the double.
He might be a good ouen.

So not a complete double.

The Great Twat Yardley is now on Radio 2 giving his "expert opinion" of the SAS training deaths, what a cnut.