Mike Lunnon-Wood : The British Military Quartet Books

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Just finished reading the quartet for the second time through.
Toss-up between The Kings Shilling and Long Reach for favourite, Let Not The Deep for third and Congo Blue in last.
Really good plot and characterisation in each, would recommend them all. There are a few errors here and there but nothing major that I picked up.
I wouldn't mind Kings Shilling being made into a film or drama in fact - update it slightly for the modern day as these were written 20 years ago, but it could translate quite well. In fact, they all could (although sailing a destroyer up a river is pushing it as they do in Congo Blue), but KS would probably be easiest...

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Read 'Angel 7' and it is, naturally, very good. Slightly different to the military quartet but exciting nonetheless.
I wish I could recall tha bloody name of the author I referenced in earlier post. I think it's Murray ...... but can't think of surname! Frustrating,

Mrs OB got me an audio book but forgot to tell me?

Searching today on a short drive found it and started to listen.

Let not the deep.

The intro was by Rowland White and got me hooked until he said it was as good as B20 and Flight of the old dog.

B20 was not that good IMO but FotOD was.

Looking at amazon reviews for MLW , some good some bad.

Glad the Arrse has its own book reviewers , looks like I be getting all on kindle and he was a fellow Rhodie.

TamH70

MIA
Just thought I'd let you know that both Angel Seven and Dark Rose are now available on Amazon's Kindle store, guys. When I got them pre-ordered a while back they were the same price as the previous four, £1.99 a pop, and they still might be if you jump on them like tramps on chips.

Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded King's Shilling this morning and as a result I have achieved the square root of **** all all day! An absolutely cracking read and as someone said further up the page would make a bloody good film too.

Oops! I meant to reply yesterday, thanking you for the heads up. I got them on Kindle at £1.99 each, now I have all 6 titles. Great reads all. I also have King's Shilling & Long Reach in paperback but I'm trying to preserve them.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just thought I'd let you know that both Angel Seven and Dark Rose are now available on Amazon's Kindle store, guys. When I got them pre-ordered a while back they were the same price as the previous four, £1.99 a pop, and they still might be if you jump on them like tramps on chips.
Got my copy of 'Dark Rose' this morn on Kindle. Read it before and will read it again, often.
Some authors are like that, I like Eric L Harry and his books 'Invasion' , 'Protect and Defend' and 'Arclight'. Similarly I like James Cobb and his naval warfare books; with a female hero!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Got my copy of 'Dark Rose' this morn on Kindle. Read it before and will read it again, often.
Some authors are like that, I like Eric L Harry and his books 'Invasion' , 'Protect and Defend' and 'Arclight'. Similarly I like James Cobb and his naval warfare books; with a female hero!

P & D is one of my favourite books - read it so many times, the apperback fell apart and i have had to get it digitally :(
Invasion is pretty good, but wasnt massively keen on Arclight

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
P & D is one of my favourite books - read it so many times, the apperback fell apart and i have had to get it digitally :(
Invasion is pretty good, but wasnt massively keen on Arclight
I think I read 'Arclight' first which sent me on a search for others of it's ilk. The other author I rather like who writes in a similar vein is Larry Bond - before he went all submarineish. 'Red Phoenix' is a particular favourite.
Jeff Edwards is worth a punt too, although his books tend toward the US Navy, but still most readable.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Just finished "Let Not The Deep" and will be passing it to my aunt, ex Chief Wren and fervent supporter of RNLI. In fact both sides of my family had naval connections, so no idea how I ended up as a weekend pongo!

Excellently told story - I could feel the brooding fear from the beginning and got dust in my eye on more than one occasion. As others have said, MLW tells a very human story with interesting characters; however I was left with a vague hankering to know what became of them all after the "event". After giving us so much detail of the characters personal lives, that aspect seems to have been abandoned rather abruptly at the end.

(Probably just me though!)

Otherwise a gripping account and I would recommend.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm just re-reading 'Dark Rose' ( in between other books) and I had forgotten just how good it was. Excellent book.

Somewhere Out There by MLW is now available on Kindle at £2.99 & apparently another title may be upcoming soon. These were apparently the last 2 manuscripts.

Latest Threads