Mike Lunnon-Wood : The British Military Quartet Books

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for my post...

I have just finished reading the last book of the four republished novels of the above mentioned part time author.
Although I never served in H.M. Forces myself (well, I was in the ATC for 3 years...:) ) and MLW didn't serve. He made a major point of his novels trying to get the military aspects of his books 'about right', as he said.

He was very conscious that his intended audience could include serving military personnel, and wanted to get it right.

He spent time with units such as 40 Commando, and various Naval vessels to understand how they operate in a combat situation.

OK, I must admit that I knew the author. He was a good guy. Sadly, he was taken by Cancer several years ago. His son Piers, was instrumental in getting Mikes first four books republished as 'The British Military Quartet'.

The Quartet are:

Let Not The Deep
King's Shilling
Long Reach
Congo Blue

Please note - I have absolutely no financial or any other interest in sales of the above mentioned books.
I knew Mike and I know Piers.
My only 'interest' is that I've read the books and like them.

Maybe some of you will too?

Cheers,
Ultraweasel

D

Deleted 20555

I discovered them on Amazon Prime - extremely good - the boys last stand on the hilll...anyway...read them all, you'll wish he'd written more.

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for my post...

I have just finished reading the last book of the four republished novels of the above mentioned part time author.
Although I never served in H.M. Forces myself (well, I was in the ATC for 3 years...:) ) and MLW didn't serve. He made a major point of his novels trying to get the military aspects of his books 'about right', as he said.

He was very conscious that his intended audience could include serving military personnel, and wanted to get it right.

He spent time with units such as 40 Commando, and various Naval vessels to understand how they operate in a combat situation.

OK, I must admit that I knew the author. He was a good guy. Sadly, he was taken by Cancer several years ago. His son Piers, was instrumental in getting Mikes first four books republished as 'The British Military Quartet'.

The Quartet are:

Let Not The Deep
King's Shilling
Long Reach
Congo Blue

Please note - I have absolutely no financial or any other interest in sales of the above mentioned books.
I knew Mike and I know Piers.
My only 'interest' is that I've read the books and like them.

Maybe some of you will too?

Cheers,
Ultraweasel
Thank you.
I will chase them up, and give them a read.
Remember, many 'memoirs' are talked about and passed on by 'word of mouth' and only get the attention they deserve after 'peer review'.
Great way of weeding out the BS.

I love these & actually own "King's Shilling" & "Long Reach" in paperback. Actual books are rare now & thus expensive but all 4 are currently available on Kindle at £1.99. I can thoroughly recommend these books. As mentioned upthread, the author took pains to get into the right mindset, his characters (officers & ORs) are as authentic as he can make them. He spent time on a RN frigate to research "King's Shilling" (not sure what type, the class named after Dukes) and in the dedication to the book he says that one of the POs muscled into the book on the strength of character!
Read 'em, love 'em, I did!

I have no commercial interest either but I love these books and want to join in spreading the word!

F-M

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I too have read Long Reach and it is one of my favourite novels - Let not the deep is another rone I enjoyed, but not sure it would count as military.
I have a £2 kindle voucher so will use that!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Went to Amazon as mentioned, and found mention of another series of British 'Derring-do'

Anyone read Larry Jeram-Croft?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I concur most heartily with other readers. I've read all of these books, a couple of them twice. Brilliant eye for detail and the author seemed to have a squaddie's insight into life. Exciting, well written and absorbing. Amongst some of the best books I have read.

Yep! I've read the first 6 & I think there is a 7th?
Also look at Dave Gledhill, ex F4 navigator, he's written 6 books about the Cold War adventures of an F4 squadron. They're all very good.
From an earlier era I'd love to get hold of a copy of Tank Commander by Ronald Welch. Young subby in '14 takes his platoon to Mons & Le Cateau, later volunteers for the tanks. I had a copy as a kid, can't find it now.

Last edited:
Larry J-C opens in the Falklands in '82 & follows the career of his hero throughout the years that follow.
MLW doesn't seem to have a specific date. Let not the Deep references the Penlee lifeboat disaster but the others could be right now.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
The books are all stand-alone works and can be read in any order.
I'm pleased to say that I read them all over 10 years ago, but good to know they are available on kindle.
I can thoroughly commend them as they are among the best military stories I've read.

Well, I don't often buy completely blind when it comes to books, but I've just taken the plunge and bought the Quartet via Kindle/Amazon for the princely sum of £7.46, pretty much a bargain for 4 decent books!

Cheers for the recommendations, I look forward to looking back...

Hi All,
As the OP, I was a bit concerned that you guys might think I was 'trolling', to 'big up' Mikes books and elicit sales for the republished works. That is not, and never has been, my intention.

Thankfully, that has not been the case. Phew! :)

RoofRat - I too liked Dark Rose.
I thought it was a very thought provoking concept. Apparently, Mike got some stick, in reviews, about it being far fetched. But is it?...

Mike sadly passed away in March 2008. :(

I'm sure he would have been quietly pleased that his meticulous research efforts have met with the approval of serving / ex. military personnel, and that he also created enjoyable characters that you can relate to.

Personally, I'm really pleased you obviously enjoy the books as much as I have / do.

Next time I see Piers (his son, who has been instrumental in the republishing) I will let him know that his Father's literary legacy is still enjoyed by many who served. And that, indeed, he does appear to have 'got it about right'.

Thanks for your positive comments! :)

Cheers,

ultraweasel.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You can also tell Piers that Rowland White - author - is a great fan of the books too.

OF&H,

Author of Vulcan 607 - the Falklands 'Trip'?

I will indeed tell Piers when I next see him.

Shame you never got to work together.

Cheers,

ultraweasel.

Try 'Dark Rose' by MLW, clever premise.
That one is not on Kindle yet & actual books are very pricey, Amazon just asked me for £31 for a paperback Dark Rose. I'll keep an eye out for it though.
Have you read Angel Seven?

Well, I don't often buy completely blind when it comes to books, but I've just taken the plunge and bought the Quartet via Kindle/Amazon for the princely sum of £7.46, pretty much a bargain for 4 decent books!

Cheers for the recommendations, I look forward to looking back...
You won't be disappointed.

That one is not on Kindle yet & actual books are very pricey, Amazon just asked me for £31 for a paperback Dark Rose. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

That's the only one I've read, I didn't realise until this post that he had written more.

Summer reading sorted.:)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember reading 'The Dark Rose' and thoroughly enjoyed it. As I recall, there was at least one other book of a similar nature by another author,whose name I can't remember.
Just ordered 'Angel 7' and it arrives soon.