Migrants go home!? Our economy is broken!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Command_doh, Oct 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7677962.stm
    And there was me thinking Immigration was 'solved' seeing as it's not been in the media for about 5 minutes.

Thoughts anyone?

2. God forbid the unemployed should be encouraged or "educated" back into work! Is the dole not a god-given right? Right ho, onto disablility allowance for me then-ooh me back!

3. They're about 6 months too late, most of the migrant workers have gone home as the pound is so weak against the euro.

It's amazing that the migrant workers get slated so much when they do the jobs that others wouldn't, they probably paid more tax in a year than the dole scroungers who racially abuse them and tell them to go home have done in their lives.

4. I have lived in The Democratic Republic of Lumbago for the past 30 years!

5. Allow me to apply for citizenship!

6. I think that Labour have realised that the BNP are going to be taking a lot of votes off them next election.

7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

It's exactly the EU migrant workers that they are worried about, but only because they cannot control their migration (since we sold our laws down the river in favour of the EU variety).

So as there are now god knows how many Romanians (and Bulgarians to a lesser extent) - who are not exactly shy in asking for free money and houses - added to the the hundreds and thousands of the other (hardworking) EU economic migrants living here, the Gobment are panicing a tad. Jobs are being cut all over the place, and despite the comments that some are returning home, significant numbers are not. As they qualify for dole payouts after 2 years in country. And most have been here since 2005.

So the only people they can stop coming here is the non - EU economic migrants. And they will, to a certain extent. But there will still be ways around the system. I know for a fact that many Financial sector employee's have changed (or are in the process of changing) their work permits to 'skilled migrant' so as to bypass the Work Permit quota, as many are now in fear of losing their jobs. So they will have to cut back on the number of 'skilled migrant' visa's being issued.

8. Turf out everybody who has arrived in the last 10 years or so then make the lazy workshy muppets (like Sven) get off their bone idle arses to take up the slack.

9. I met somebody a while ago who had been on one of these courses, north of the border.

Day one covered interview skills, including making yourself clean and tidy. Everybody was given a little bag containing some toiletries.

One of the candidates stood up and shouted "Are ye tryin' to say we're manky?"

He then launched his free can of deodorant at the instructor before storming out shouting "Get me ma social worker".

Working with the unemployed. It's not just a job. It's an adventure.

10. Simple fact is that it's the skilled, decent hard-working migrants who will leave, whilst those who come to sponge off benefits will stay.

11. Unless they've settled down and established roots here, I fear you're right. We're in danger of going for the easy targets yet again while making no effort to target the real cause of our problems - the vast masses of idleness who simply won't earn their own way regardless of how hard they're pushed.

If we're going to cut down on immigration we also have to 'incentivise' the layabouts we seem to produce in such numbers. My personal favourite is to cap the total amount any family is able to claim in benefits at a bare minimum. Just found out Little Timmy has autism? Tough. You're already getting top whack for Auntie June's Type-2 diabetes and motability panzer. Want more? Get a job. Like the rest of us have to if we want a better standard of living.

Working immigrants contribute far more to UK than this lot. Fair play to them. Disclaimer: I'm married to one and therefore possibly biased.

12. Steady on. A lot of genuinely ill people need the benefits to survive, and that existance is poor at best. What does need to happen is a change in unemployment benefits so that people have an incentive to go back into work. It also rests on the doctors to require more in the way of proof when people are claiming a disability, although a lot of that is to do with just how easy it is to fake an illness.

13. Of course it's easy to fake it. Look at this link and see how many people are now claiming IB for stress, FGS.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2096603/Stress-benefits-claimants-boom-under-Labour.html

An 800 percent increase? And how many are claiming for having a "bad back"?
    FGS, I'm stressed out at work with some of the stupid civvies I now have to work with but don't claim it as "unable to work". And I just don't believe that almost 3 million people in this country are so "disabled" that they can't work, even if only shelf stacking in a local supermarket.

14. [/quote]
    Steady on. A lot of genuinely ill people need the benefits to survive, and that existance is poor at best. What does need to happen is a change in unemployment benefits so that people have an incentive to go back into work. It also rests on the doctors to require more in the way of proof when people are claiming a disability, although a lot of that is to do with just how easy it is to fake an illness.[/quote]

Yes absolutely, why should doley boy next door to me who has not worked for 12 years have free rent, £60 a week and free council tax. Fit enough to climb in his attic and grow cannabis.

Maybe we should have a clever dumb balance and offer the dolies the job of spud picking or any available which they can do. If they refuse, then they go live in Poland and a Polish worker comes over here.

15. I have been on a couple of those courses. One was just about filling out forms and doing a CV etc. The other one (which I managed to avoid) was just turning up a couple of times a week and doing a job search. I managed to force them to send me on a courier training course instead which has since borne fruit.

The trouble is the DWP do very little to get people back into work until you have been off for a while. It's only when the New Deal kicks in (after a long long time and is age dependant) do the "advisors" actually pull their finger out.

It was only after doing research on my own and having a decent pragmatic new deal advisor that I got on the courier course, otherwise I would have been forced to spend 13 weeks doing what I already had been. this has resulted in me getting a trial which will lead to a job. Plus I now get some money toward any kit I need.

The whole system needs an overhaul and the DWP need to employ people who will actually work for their living rather than just sit there and chat to each other. One thing I used to notice is that they would jump down your neck if you were a minute late but would be more than happy to sit and chat with each other for 15 minutes past signing time while you sit there waiting.