Mighty Hood's bell to be recovered

Wasn't so mighty as it turned out. Nice to have her bell back though

hmm if it survived the destruction, if it did, why aren't ships built from the same stuff?

as someone who has a grandad on it,,it feel it should be left alone.. nan bishop will be spinning,, she never got to know he had been killed till 1947.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Dai, one reason she was lost is that the inter-war Govts wouldn't fund a full modernisation. Politicians keep their jobs, service people lose their lives.

Dai, one reason she was lost is that the inter-war Govts wouldn't fund a full modernisation. Politicians keep their jobs, service people lose their lives.
True enough, albeit Battlecruisers were not meant to slug it out with Battleships as far as I know. The idea was that they could outrun what they could not outgun and vice-versa.

So are you saying airliners should be constructed from the same plastic as childrens toys?

As that solitary doll always seems to turn up intact after an aircrash.
Perhaps you try to listen to the BBC World Service more often because just today they were talking about future aircraft design and mighty interesting it was too.

I think we should leave it where it is as some pikey bastard will just nick it for scrap.

They have no problems melting down important sculptures so a bell won't last a year.

no the black box material lol
Or if that is the only bit they are going to recover, make sure you are on the seat above it!!!

I'll get my coat, no the taxi is ordered!

Cheers
Gadge

C

cloudbuster

Given the choice, you should always sit towards the rear of the aircraft anyway, as they very rarely knowingly reverse into mountains.........

Jon Pertwee served on HMS Hood, transferring prior to her sailing. Design fault was the armour belt, this meant the Bismarck destroyed her with a shell igniting a magazine or the topredeos depending on which report you read. The German Press crowed for only a sort, then went silent when Bismarck was sunk. With thanks to CS Forresters book Hunting the Bismark and The mighty Hood by Ernle Bradford.

Jon Pertwee served on HMS Hood, transferring prior to her sailing. Design fault was the armour belt, this meant the Bismarck destroyed her with a shell igniting a magazine or the topredeos depending on which report you read. The German Press crowed for only a sort, then went silent when Bismarck was sunk. With thanks to CS Forresters book Hunting the Bismark and The mighty Hood by Ernle Bradford.
HMS Hood didn´t have heavily armoured decks, so the AP shells in plunging fire from the Bismarck went through the decks into a magazine and caused it to explode.
IIRC the guns of the Bismarck had a longer range than those of the the Hood and were directed using the newly introduced Seetakt gunlaying radar.
The decks of HMS Hood were known to be her weak spot and were supposed to be strengthened during the long overdue overhaul, but the politicians did not let this happen.

'Our aim is to conduct a comprehensive, non-intrusive video investigation of the wreckage, which we believe will allow experts to definitively determine what happened to Hood in her final moments before she sank and answer why the loss of life was so great.'

So what's the quid pro quo? Some dramatised TV documentary? I'd say if this bloke wants to make a generous gift of the means to raise the bell, fine. But leave the cameras at home.