Mighty Hood's bell to be recovered

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BONNACON, Jul 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Wot with my sinuses?"

Well out of range of almost anyone.

Nice gesture, will provide a really fitting memorial.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wasn't so mighty as it turned out. Nice to have her bell back though

3. I take it the bell is a ships equivalent of 'colours'?
    If they manage to recover it, will probably mean more than a plaque or stone.

• Like Like x 2
  4. hmm if it survived the destruction, if it did, why aren't ships built from the same stuff?

• Like Like x 4
  5. as someone who has a grandad on it,,it feel it should be left alone.. nan bishop will be spinning,, she never got to know he had been killed till 1947.

• Like Like x 1
  6. So are you saying airliners should be constructed from the same plastic as childrens toys?

As that solitary doll always seems to turn up intact after an aircrash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Dai, one reason she was lost is that the inter-war Govts wouldn't fund a full modernisation. Politicians keep their jobs, service people lose their lives.

• Like Like x 12
  8. no the black box material lol

9. True enough, albeit Battlecruisers were not meant to slug it out with Battleships as far as I know. The idea was that they could outrun what they could not outgun and vice-versa.

10. I hope when the culture sec rings it, it holds together better than the last bell he rang...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Perhaps you try to listen to the BBC World Service more often because just today they were talking about future aircraft design and mighty interesting it was too.

12. I think we should leave it where it is as some pikey bastard will just nick it for scrap.

They have no problems melting down important sculptures so a bell won't last a year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. No such thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Said an un-named representative of Al Shabaab.