MIG welding

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Joe91, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any tips on welding outside corner joints? The settings seem to be ok just struggling to keep weld level, i'm a bit of a newbie to welding so is it just practise?

2. What are you welding? what gauge of metal and size of wire?

Just started myself, getting some help from my work mates :)
  3. You don't say what you're trying to weld (angle-iron, box-profile etc) but it's always a good tactic to knock yourself up a sturdy clamping jig out of wood or something. You can offer up the pieces to be welded, adjust things and make sure you have everything lined up correctly before you start.

4. Steel 1.5 mm gauge (I think) for nvq 2 course, not sure of the wire size.

Cheers for replies, I think a clamp and practise is the way forward. :)
  5. All you ever wanted to know MIG welding linky
  6. Might sound daft, but if its for your NVQ, can't your instructor help?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You should be on 0.8mm wire for 1.5mm steel. 1mm wire will be a bit much.

If you need more fill then turn the wire up a little and move the torch a little slower. You can always "draw little circles" with the welding torch to get a wider fillet. This wouldn't apply so much for high spec stuff like pressure vessels but for most fabrication can be a useful technique.

Practice is the main thing and experiment with the settings

If you can't fix it with a big hammer and a welder......
  8. Thanks for the link Happy has some good info on that site.

Yes Mitt the instructor can help I just wanted to see if I could pick up anymore tips to help me (and I have) also it's a big class so the instructor doesn't always get to see everyone.

Cheers for the info EX_STAB i'll try doing little circles, think it might be were im going wrong also going to try clamp steel in place before I weld.
  9. Good luck. I'm the bloke who sunburns his forearm welding in a T Shirt! Doh!
  10. Tack joint at bottom first,stop joint opening up.Used to work on TR7,mind you,they closed factory!Clamp joint is good advice.Good luck.
  11. Thanks again for the advice, now have 3 pieces ready for testing :D
  12. I have an old Land Rover Discovery 300TDI that I want to put back on the road.

The problem is that like most similar Discoveries, it want's a lot of welding done to it to get it back on the road. For anybody familiar with these cars, it's the usual floor panels and body seals etc.

I'm really thinking of doing it myself but I have got to learn to weld. It can't be rocket science can it?

Does anybody know of any good instruction manuals or videos etc that I can read or watch to get some self tuition?

I would also go onto a course if I knew of one that was not too expensive. Something maybe an evening a week for a few months if I knew of any.

Any advice from any ARRSERS would be very welcome.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 2
  13. Contact your local college , most do C&G courses at different levels for MIG/TIG/MMA .

You will find what you want on youtube
  14. Join the mig welding forum , but be aware like here you will get have a dozen experts saying one thing , and half a dozen saying the other . There does seem to be a certain amount of people who past something on until it becomes folklore .

The most important will be to do a college course , they are not much money and will teach you all the theory , safety and method etc .

Then buy a mig and get a lot of old scrap steel , look up local fabricators and ask/beg to get bits from there scrap bins . Then practice practice practice .
  15. One word of advise when buying a welder ,dont buy the shitty little gasless crap things , they will drive you insane , get a circa 180amp one with a euro torch fitting and buy argoshield light gas for mild steel work.
    • Like Like x 1