Miep Gies dies aged 100

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, Jan 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8453331.stm

I'm glad that she had a long life and was able to tell her story and that of the Franks, the van Pels and Fritz Pfeffer. As the WWII and Holocaust generation die, it's so important that we have the amount of detailed documentation that we do as these stories should never be forgotten.

Rest In Peace.
  2. Incredibly brave of her and others to have sheltered Jews during that period, they would have known what the price was if/when found out. Moral courage beyond compare.
  3. Holocaust???? What holocaust???
  4. Can't agree more,although I suspect there are those within the EUSSR who would like to airbrush the Second World War and the atrocities of Stalin out of history.
  5. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Aye, aye, aye...denial! :wink:

Just a thought, when people die and you come to clear out their gaffs, there is always a buckshee tub of talcum powder right? So why, if there reallywas a holocaust, don't accounts from that time discuss the enormous talcum powder mountains of 1939-1946?

Hmmm...get me David Irving on the blower. He's in the shower? I'll call back.
  7. How's that Farsi to English translator working for ya?
  8. Ditto. I'm glad I saw the news to know this lady's name, the bravery of Miep and Mr. Franks was amazing, if my entire family had been annihilated in this way I don't know if I would be able to read my daughter's diary let alone allow it to be published.
  9. I remember watching a documentary a few years back about Anne Frank. Miep Gies told how she hid Annes' diary all through the war years in the hope that Anne would return and claim it.She said she had never read the diary as it was not hers to read.
    Her account of Otto Franks return and her handing over the diary was very emotional.
    Miep Gies was very modest about her part in protecting everybody who lived in the secret apartment. A very brave lady knowing as she did what would happen if they were caught helping.
  10. Miep also went round to the Gestapo headquarters after the Franks had been arrested and gave them rock all! Quite some woman really.
  11. What truly remarkable lady Miep Gies was ,It so sad she as passed away .
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Bit of a boring read though

13. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

She went on the record stating that she was not a "hero" - she was simply doing her duty as a human being. After all, she said, heroes are rare, and it should not take heroes to do what any normal person should do.

Granted, Gies was a modest woman, but her statement deserves wide dissemination.

BTW, for those with sprogs, the Ann Frank Museum is definitely recommended.

14. Aye and the ending's a bit shit too. She could have worked on that a bit more, maybe left scope for a sequel.