Midshipman's Dirk

Bosscat

War Hero
Further to my op I've managed to get some pics.
20200321_212501.jpg
20200321_212542.jpg
20200321_212506.jpg

Attachments

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cheers fella, apparently there are repro's knocking about I'm hoping it's not one, I know for a fact it's been in the family for forty odd years.
Unlikely to be a repro then given that, going rate is about £250

JackSofty

War Hero
Two things that may suggest its being a reproduction (they abound in great quantity)
are the lack of a 'proof' mark on the blade (common on quality forged blades from c.1845 onwards) and that the grip of the hilt appears to be textured leather as opposed to shagreen.
I would be of the opinion, however, that it was made by Manton, an important gunsmith and cutler since the late 18th century as:
a/proof marks are less common on the shorter blades of such dirks.
b/the grip probably indicates wartime production when more exotic materials were much more scarce.
c/the grip wire is exactly as one would expect it to be.
d/the casting of the hilt appears to be deep and crisp.
e/age wear in the grip.
f/the royal arms on the blade etching which I don't recall having seen on reproductions.

It does appear to be a correct 1891 model (still the standard pattern for the RN).

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Bosscat

War Hero
Two things that may suggest its being a reproduction (they abound in great quantity)
are the lack of a 'proof' mark on the blade (common on quality forged blades from c.1845 onwards) and that the grip of the hilt appears to be textured leather as opposed to shagreen.
I would be of the opinion, however, that it was made by Manton, an important gunsmith and cutler since the late 18th century as:
a/proof marks are less common on the shorter blades of such dirks.
b/the grip probably indicates wartime production when more exotic materials were much more scarce.
c/the grip wire is exactly as one would expect it to be.
d/the casting of the hilt appears to be deep and crisp.
e/age wear in the grip.
f/the royal arms on the blade etching which I don't recall having seen on reproductions.

It does appear to be a correct 1891 model (still the standard pattern for the RN).

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
Many thanks for your input Jack

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer

It's called a Pussers Dirk and is issued to everyoneone when they join the RN. I still have mine issued to me 56years ago. When issued we asked whats the point of having a tool for removing stones from horses hooves. After circumnavigating the parade ground a couple of times for asking stupid questions we were informed that it was used during the splicing of rope and sailmaking..
oi this is thew Sappers best friend a clasp nife .

Latest Threads