Midshipman's Dirk

Bosscat

War Hero
I probably should ask this in Rum Ration or whatever it's called but, is there a definitive way of dating said item? I don't mean the pattern year but the actual date of the item in my possession.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I probably should ask this in Rum Ration or whatever it's called but, is there a definitive way of dating said item? I don't mean the pattern year but the actual date of the item in my possession.
Picture would help, the shape of the blade etc

Bosscat

War Hero
Picture would help, the shape of the blade etc
Ah righto, said weapon is actually at my Mum's(who lives 130 miles away) however I shall be going over to see her shortly and will take a pic and upload it asap. Thank's for your prompt reply though.

No doubt Gavin Pintleberry would have been able to help with this one.

Union Jack

Clanker
Ah righto, said weapon is actually at my Mum's(who lives 130 miles away) however I shall be going over to see her shortly and will take a pic and upload it asap. Thank's for your prompt reply though.
It would probably make sense to upload a photo of the dirk as well as the one of your mum....

Jack

I have a cunning plan. Get your mum to do the pics and pop down to Pronto Print, wait an hour for the pics then post them to you. Then you can scan them on your all in one printer. Simple.

Date stamp under the handle? ;)

Bosscat

War Hero
I have a cunning plan. Get your mum to do the pics and pop down to Pronto Print, wait an hour for the pics then post them to you. Then you can scan them on your all in one printer. Simple.
I would mate however she's in hospital in Bangor at the mo.

Dennis48

War Hero

It's called a Pussers Dirk and is issued to everyoneone when they join the RN. I still have mine issued to me 56years ago. When issued we asked whats the point of having a tool for removing stones from horses hooves. After circumnavigating the parade ground a couple of times for asking stupid questions we were informed that it was used during the splicing of rope and sailmaking..

Old-Salt
A sailmakers Fid.

It is the rope bit that matelots now tend to work on, for landlubbers they are the long bits of string that ships (assorted sizes) use to tie themselves up to solid structures so that they don't float away when parked up so the sailors can go drinking.

Even the USS Nimitz has them, but as with all things American they are a bit bigger than ours!
Fid - Wikipedia

Union Jack

Clanker
Until such time as Bosscat's mum gets better and the *two* photographs appear, and before all you landlubbers get carried away with misconceptions about the differences between midshipmen's dirks, marlinspikes, and fids, to see some examples of what we are really talking about have a wee shoogle with Google images for "midshipman's dirk". Regret I can't post links because most of the images come from commercial sites.

Dennis48 rightly refers to the picture in his post as a 'passer's dirk", complete with marlinspike, but should perhaps have added that it's only called that simply as a somewhat facetious reference to the real thing as above.

Jack

Endoscope

War Hero

It's called a Pussers Dirk and is issued to everyoneone when they join the RN. I still have mine issued to me 56years ago. When issued we asked whats the point of having a tool for removing stones from horses hooves. After circumnavigating the parade ground a couple of times for asking stupid questions we were informed that it was used during the splicing of rope and sailmaking..
And you never cleaned it since right....

Latest Threads